Air Fryer Za’atar Spiced Chickpeas are amazing! They are so good and are a great gluten-free and vegan snack.
With the air fryer, you can make a crispy batch of chickpeas in minutes, and today’s variety is no different. I used some middle-eastern spices to create a great snack for my entire family!
If you have not roasted chickpeas in the Air Fryer, you are so missing out. Crispy, flavorful, and tender. They can be used as a snack or a substitute for croutons (my favorite) or any other great place that you want some extra protein.
If you are looking for more Air Fryer Roasted Chickpea Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER RANCH ROASTED CHICKPEAS, AIR FRYER EXTRA CRISPY SPICED CHICKPEAS, AIR FRYER SPICY ROASTED CHICKPEAS, or AIR FRYER SESAME SEED ROASTED CHICKPEAS.
What is Za’atar?
Za’atar is a great spice, which is a common ingredient in Middle Eastern Cuisine. It combines sesame seeds, dried sumac, salt, ground thyme, oregano, and other spices. Usually, the brand that you purchase will contain some cumin, coriander, and fennel.
Most people describe the taste of Za’atar as a tangy or nutty flavor.
I thought it would be great on chickpeas. After all, we are going to roast them. However, I was so impressed by the flavor that the Za’atar and the air fryer brought out. It has quickly become one of my most flavored chickpeas.
Ingredients In Air Fryer Za’atar Spiced Chickpeas
- Cooked Chickpeas (Usually canned)
- Olive Oil
- Dried Thyme
- Za’atar Seasoning
- Black Pepper
For Detailed Instructions and Amounts, Scroll To The End Of The Post. Where You Will Be Able To Print Out A Recipe Card.
How To Make Air Fryer Za’atar Spiced Chickpeas
Start by draining your can of chickpeas and then use a kitchen towel and dry the chickpeas.
Add the dried chickpeas to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Pour your spices in, and coat the chickpeas.
Add your chickpeas to the air fryer basket or spread them over the air fryer tray.
Set the timer for 6 minutes, at 375 degrees F, air fryer setting. After 6 minutes, shake the basket or the tray, then add another 6 minutes.
Some Pro Tips
- For best results, drain the chickpeas, and then lay them on kitchen towels or paper towels until they are dried. This helps them crisp up.
- You can also peel your chickpeas if you want them really crispy. I usually do not do this, and I let them dry.
- For added flavor, I usually add more seasoning after the chickpeas have been roasted.
- Make them the same day that you want to eat them. As they age, they tend to become soggy.
How To Store Air Fryer Za’atar Spiced Chickpeas
I would highly recommend that you eat the roasted chickpeas on the same day you prepare them, although they taste hot. As they cool, they start to lose their flavors.
If you have any leftovers, pour them into an open-air container or jar where they will remain crunchy and crispy for about 1 day. After that, dispose of them, and prepare a new batch.
How To Use Air Fryer Za’atar Spiced Chickpeas
While I usually toss them into my mouth, as if I was eating chips, there are many uses for roasted chickpeas.
Some of my favorites are:
- Adding them to a garden salad as a replacement for the croutons
- Add them to soups
- Add them along with a Mexican Rice bowl for some added crunch.
Other Great Air Fryer Chickpea Recipes
- EASY AIR FRYER SPICY ROASTED CHICKPEAS
Don’t Forget To Pin-
- 1 15 ounce chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon zaátar seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Start by draining your can of chickpeas and then use a kitchen towel and dry the chickpeas.
- Add the dried chickpeas to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add your spices to the chickpeas, mix well.
- Add your chickpeas to the air fryer basket or spread them over the air fryer tray.
- Set the timer for 6 minutes, at 375 degrees F, air fryer setting. After 6 minutes, shake the basket or the tray, then add another 6 minute
- Plate, serve and enjoy!