Looking for a healthy alternative to French fries? Look no further than this recipe for a crispy air-fried yellow squash! This dish is not only delicious, but it’s also low in calories and a low carb vegetable. It’s the perfect side dish for any meal. Give it a try today! This makes for an amazing side dish, that the whole family will love!
If you’re looking for a new and healthy way to enjoy yellow squash, look no further than crispy air-fried yellow squash! This dish is simple to make and tastes amazing. Plus, it’s a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables. So what are you waiting for? Give crispy air-fried yellow squash a try today!
Who doesn’t love zucchini and summer squash? And with a few simple ingredients, you can have a great side dish, appetizer, or snack! This is one of my favorite air fryer vegetables recipe, and it’s an amazing yellow squash recipe, and other is nothing better for the dinner table!
Fried Squash In Air Fryer
The air fryer is a hot, new kitchen appliance that is gaining in popularity. It cooks food by circulating hot air around it, so it is little or no oil needed. This means that you can cook healthier foods without sacrificing taste or texture. One of my favorite things to cook in the air fryer is squash. It comes out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Plus, it’s a fun way to get the kids involved in cooking! Here’s how to make fried squash in the air fryer.
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that uses hot air to quickly cook and crisp foods, similar to traditional deep frying. It can be used for a variety of dishes, including fried squash. This is an easy way to make a plate of golden brown fried summer squash, using very little oil, so the result is a healthy air fryer vegetable recipe!
This might just become the best thing you make in your air fryer or convection ovens! And remember this is a healthy air-fryer recipe that uses less oil, than other methods!
Ingredients Needed For Crispy Air Fried Yellow Squash
If you love fried squash but don’t love the calories or unhealthy cooking oil? Well, have no fear! You can make crispy air fryer squash that tastes just like the real thing – without all of the guilt. All you need is a few simple ingredients and your air fryer. So get ready to enjoy some healthy and delicious fried squash!
This is such an easy recipe!
Remember: All of the ingredients and step-by-step directions, and nutrition facts are below in the printable recipe card.
- Yellow Squash: Or Summer Squash
- Flour: Use regular, all-purpose flour, or for gluten-free recipes, use all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- Milk: Use regular whole milk, almond milk, coconut milk, or a milk alternative.
- Cornmeal: This will make your crispy squash
- Parmesan Cheese: For some added flavor
- Oil: Use cooking spray, olive oil spray, avocado oil, or your favorite oil.
- Seasonings and Spices: Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Italian Seasoning, and any of your favorite seasoning, or fresh herbs.
How To Make Crispy Air Fryer Squash
Step One: Prepare The Air Fryer Basket
Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
Step Two: Prepare the squash
Using a sharp knife, cut the air fryer yellow squash into squash slices, slicing about 1/4 inch rounds. Add some salt and pepper to the sliced squash.
Step Three: Prepare your dredging station
In the first shallow bowl, add the flour. In the second bowl, add the milk and cornstarch. In the third bowl, add the cornmeal, cheese, and seasonings.
Step Four: Bread The Squash
Dip the sliced squash into the flour mixture, then the milk mixture, and then the Corneaml mixture. For best results, allow the excess to drip off.
Step Five: Add the squash to the air fryer basket.
As you bread the squash, place it into a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving plenty of space around the squash so it crisps up. Spray or brush with extra virgin olive oil.
Step Six: How Long To Air Fry Squash
Set the temperature to 400 degrees F, and cooking time for 8-10 minutes. Flipping hallways during the cooking process. Remove the squash, after it cools down slightly.
Tips For The Best Air Fryer Yellow Squash Recipe
Looking for an easy and delicious way to enjoy your yellow squash? Check out this air fryer recipe! It’s simple to follow and the perfect way to add some variety to your diet. Plus, you’ll love how crispy and flavorful the final dish is. Try it today!
- Slicing The Squash: Start by slicing the squash into thin, evenly-sized slices. This way the squash air fries up at the same time.
- Seasonings and Spices: Season with salt, pepper, a little garlic, and your preferred herbs or spices.
- Spray your Basket: Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Single Layer: Place the squash slices in a single layer in the basket. Cook in batches.
- Bread Crumbs: If you want you can use breadcrumbs, mixed into the cornstarch mixture using about 1/2 a cup.
- Serving: Serve hot and enjoy the crispy, delicious squash slices! Or try tossing the cooked squash with a bit of Parmesan cheese, and a little salt, for an extra flavor boost.
How To Store Leftover Air Fryer Yellow Squash
Oftentimes, leftover squash can go bad quickly if not stored properly. Here are some tips for storing your leftover cooked yellow squash:
- Let the cooked squash cool to room temperature, on a cooling rack or baking sheet, before placing it in an airtight container and storing it in the refrigerator. I usually line the airtight container with paper towels, to absorb the excess moisture.
- Consume within 3-5 days for optimal freshness.
- Alternatively, you can also freeze cooked yellow squash in a freezer bag or containers for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before enjoying.
- When reheating, be sure to heat thoroughly to prevent any foodborne illnesses.
By following these simple storage tips, you can enjoy your cooked yellow squash for days to come.
What To Serve With Crispy Roasted Squash
Some great options for sides to serve with crispy roasted squash include a green salad, sautéed greens like kale or Swiss chard, Air Fryer Salmon, quinoa or rice pilaf, and roasted root vegetables. To add a protein element, try serving it with grilled chicken or shrimp, pan-seared salmon, or black beans. For added flavor, top the squash with thinly sliced prosciutto or crumbled feta cheese before serving. Alternatively, serve it as a topping for whole grain toast or toss it into pasta for a hearty and satisfying meal. The options are endless – get creative and enjoy!
Some Great Dipping Sauces For Crispy Air Fried Squash
Sriracha mayo, honey mustard, marinara sauce, pasta sauce, maple syrup, and ranch dressing are all popular choices for dipping crispy air-fried squash. Another tasty option is a cilantro lime yogurt dip made by mixing Greek yogurt with freshly squeezed lime juice and chopped cilantro. For a sweet and spicy twist, mix equal parts barbecue sauce and peach preserves. Serve these dips alongside your crispy air-fried squash for a delicious and satisfying snack. Don’t be afraid to get creative and experiment with your own dip combinations! The sky’s the limit when it comes to dipping sauces for this versatile veggie. Happy dipping!
When Is Summer Squash In Season
Summer squash, including varieties like zucchini, crookneck squash, and yellow summer squash, is typically in peak season during the late summer months. In the Northern Hemisphere, this means it will be readily available from about June to September.
However, with modern methods of transportation and storage, it is possible to find these type of squash available year-round at many grocery stores.
Fresh yellow squash is high in vitamin c, and is a popular backyard garden item! There is something amazing about air fryer summer squash! And of course, the air fryer is the best way to have a sweet flavor of squash all year round! This simple recipe might just become one of your favorites!
You can also use this recipe with any of your favorite winter squash!
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you love some easy air fryer recipe, or just looking for some great air fryer vegetable recipes, here are some of my favorites!
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- Easy Air Fryer Acorn Squash
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
Crispy Air Fryer Squash
- 6 large yellow squash, sliced into 1/4 rounds
- 1/2 cup flour, all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the air fryer yellow squash into squash slices, slicing about 1/4 inch rounds. Add some salt and pepper to the sliced squash.
- In the first shallow bowl, add the flour. In the second bowl, add the milk and cornstarch. In the third bowl, add the cornmeal, cheese, and seasonings.
- Dip the sliced squash into the flour mixture, then the milk mixture, and then the Corneaml mixture. For best results, allow the excess to drip off.
- As you bread the squash, place it into a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving plenty of space around the squash so it crisps up. Spray or brush with extra virgin olive oil.
- Set the temperature to 400 degrees F, and cooking time for 8-10 minutes. Flipping hallways during the cooking process. Remove the squash, after it cools down slightly.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray