Now, that it is June, it’s summertime, and it is officially zucchini season, and I love zucchini. Zucchini is a great versatile vegetable that you can do almost anything to, and it usually tastes amazing. If you haven’t tried air-fried or grilled zucchini, you are so missing out. Zucchini is a great summer squash, it is extremely versatile and can be baked, fried, shredded, noodled.
Technically zucchini is a summer squash, it has origins all over the world, and likewise, zucchini is cooked differently in all parts of the world, from the Italian who serve it deep-fried, deep flower fritters to Turkey, where they make zucchini pancakes. It can be added to any recipe for a healthier spin on it.
When you are purchasing zucchini, here are some things to be on the lookout for:
- Zucchini should be about 6 inches long, one-two inches wide.
- Firm and shiny skin without blemishes, look for an even green color throughout.
- Ideally, the steam should be attached.
- You are looking for a zucchini that is firm and feels rather heavy.
Keep in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days, longer than that the zucchini will start to wilt. Zucchini also can be frozen, in order to freeze, slice, then boil for about 2 minutes, then plunge into cold water. Then seal in an airtight container. Frozen zucchini can be kept for about one year.
How To Prepare Zucchini:
Always wash the zucchini before you are going to be preparing it. Cut off both ends of the squash, as both are stems, and not edible. Zucchini is usually not peeled. You can cut it into pieces, chunks, shred or prepare it for stuffing, just hollow out the zucchini and stuff it with all sorts of yummies.
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
Don’t Forget to Pin–
This is a simple recipe, with loads of flavor. My kids love eating them, it is a fast and easy side dish, for any meal.
- 2 summer squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preheating your air fryer, I preheated mine for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cut summer squash with the olive, lemon zest, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper
- Place the zucchini/summer squash slices in your air fryer, and fry for about 4 minutes on each side.
- When your squash is tender, remove from the air fryer.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!