Air Fryer Summer Squash – – Are you looking for a delicious, healthy alternative to fried foods? Do you want to create an easy and savory summertime side dish that the whole family will enjoy?
Air-frying yellow squash may be the perfect solution!
This cooking method allows you to enjoy your favorite flavors without sacrificing nutrition. Today, we’ll walk you through making an air fryer yellow squash and provide tips for keeping it as light and flavorful as possible. Plus, we’ll share some tantalizing topping ideas, so your dish will surely be a hit! So let’s start creating a guilt-free way to serve tasty veggies made with just one appliance!
If you love air frying yellow summer squash, try some of my other recipes, such as air fryer zucchini casserole, air fryer potato wedges, and air fryer asparagus.
What Is Summer Squash
Summer squash is a vegetable harvested in the summer months while it is still immature and the skin is still tender. It is a member of the Cucurbitaceae family, which also includes other types of squash, cucumbers, and melons.
Summer squash has thin, edible skin and soft, creamy, mild, and sweet flesh. Common varieties of summer squash include zucchini, yellow squash, and pattypan squash. It is a versatile vegetable that can be cooked in various ways, such as grilled, air-fried, sautéed, roasted, or baked, and used in many different recipes, including soups, stews, salads, and casseroles.
Why You Will Love Roasting Summer Squash In Air Fryer
Roasting summer squash in an air fryer has many advantages that will make you love this cooking method. First, it is a quick and easy way to cook summer squash, which can be done in just a few minutes.
Second, air frying produces a crispy and caramelized exterior while keeping the inside moist and tender. Third, it is a healthier alternative to traditional frying because it requires little to no oil, which means fewer calories and less fat. Fourth, air fryer roasted summer squash can be seasoned with fresh herbs and spices to create a delicious and flavorful side dish or snack.
Finally, using an air fryer to roast summer squash is a great way to enjoy this nutritious vegetable during the summer season when it is at its peak freshness and flavor.
Ingredients Needed For Summer Squash Air Fryer Recipe
Are you looking for a delicious, healthy alternative to fried foods? Do you want to create an easy and savory summertime side dish that the whole family will enjoy? Air frying yellow squash may be the perfect solution! This cooking method allows you to enjoy your favorite flavors without sacrificing nutrition. Today, we’ll walk you through how to make an air fryer yellow squash and provide tips for keeping it as light and flavorful as possible. Plus, we’ll share some tantalizing topping ideas, so your dish will surely be a hit! So let’s start creating a guilt-free way to serve tasty veggies made with just one appliance!
Remember the step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page, as well as the nutritional information.
- Fresh Yellow Summer Squash: Sliced in thin slices, 1-inch rounds, or yellow squash pieces.
- Oil: Use high-heat oil such as olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil
- Seasonings and Spices: Garlic Powder, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Smoked Paprika, and Cayenne Pepper
How To Cook Summer Squash In Air Fryer
Summer squash is one of the most versatile vegetables out there. Whether you’re looking for something to make for dinner or a quick snack, there are so many ways to prepare it – from roasting and sautéing to grilling and steaming.
However, if you’re looking for a new way to enjoy this healthy ingredient, then try cooking summer squash in an air fryer! Not only will it dramatically cut down on prep time, but it also helps retain moisture and flavor while making the dish healthier by eliminating excess oil. In this article, we’ll provide step-by-step instructions on how to cook delicious summer squash in your air fryer at home.
Step One: Prepare The Squash
Wash and dry the summer squash with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Cut the squash into uniform squash slices or cubes about 1/2 inch thick. Add to a large bowl, then add your oil and seasonings and toss to coat. Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F.
Step Two: Air Fry The Squash
Place the squash in the basket of your air fryer, making sure not to overcrowd the basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook your yellow squash in batches.
Set the cooking time for 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking.
Check for doneness by inserting a fork into a piece of squash. It should be tender and cooked through.
Step Three: Serving
Before serving, sprinkle with fresh herbs, such as red pepper flakes, parsley, or basil.
By cooking summer squash in an air fryer, you can enjoy a delicious and healthy side dish or snack that is crispy and tender. The air fryer also allows you to cook summer squash quickly and with little oil, making it a healthier alternative to traditional frying.
Tips For Cooking Air-Fryer Summer Squash
Here are some tips for cooking summer squash in an air fryer:
- Use uniform slices or cubes: Cut the squash into uniform slices or cubes to ensure even cooking.
- Do not overcrowd the basket: Arrange the squash in a single layer in the air fryer basket to ensure even cooking and prevent overcrowding.
- Lightly coat with oil: Use a light coating of oil or cooking spray to help the squash crisp up in the air fryer.
- Season well: Season the squash with your favorite herbs and spices to add flavor.
- Shake the basket: Shake the air fryer basket halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking and prevent sticking.
- Check for doneness: Check the squash for doneness by inserting a fork into a piece of squash. It should be tender and cooked through.
- Serve immediately: Serve the squash immediately after cooking for the best texture and flavor.
Following these tips, you can make perfectly crispy and delicious air-fried summer squash every time. It’s a quick and easy way to cook this nutritious vegetable without excess oil or fat, making it a healthy and delicious addition to any meal.
When Is Summer Squash In Season
Summer squash is typically in season from late spring to early fall, depending on the location and climate. In most areas, summer squash appears in farmer’s markets and grocery stores in late May or early June and remains in season until September or October. However, this can vary depending on the specific variety of summer squash and the local growing conditions.
It’s best to check with your local farmer’s market or grocery store to determine the peak season for summer squash in your area. When in season, summer squash is at its freshest and most flavorful, making it the perfect time to enjoy this versatile and nutritious vegetable.
How To Store Leftover Summer Squash
To store leftover summer squash, follow these simple steps:
- Let the squash cool to room temperature.
- Place the squash in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag.
- Store the squash in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- If you have cooked the squash with a sauce or seasoning, store it separately from the plain squash, as the flavors can become concentrated over time.
- To freeze leftover summer squash, place it in a freezer-safe container or bag and store it in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- Thaw frozen summer squash in the refrigerator overnight before reheating or using it in a recipe.
Storing leftover summer squash properly can prolong its freshness and make it last longer. Just use it within a few days to ensure it remains healthy.
How To Reheat Squash In Air Fryer
To reheat squash in an air fryer, follow these simple steps:
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take the leftover squash from the fridge or freezer and let it come to room temperature.
- Lightly coat the squash with a little bit of oil or cooking spray.
- Place the squash in the air fryer basket in a single layer, ensuring that it is not to overcrowd the basket.
- Reheat the squash in the air fryer for 5-7 minutes or until it’s crispy.
- Shake the basket once or twice during cooking to ensure even heating.
- Check the squash for doneness by inserting a fork into a piece. It should be heated through and tender; remove when golden brown.
- Remove the squash from the air fryer and serve immediately. Garnish with fresh parsley or herbs.
Using an air fryer to reheat squash, you can enjoy a crispy and delicious side dish or snack without using much oil or fat. The air fryer also helps to reheat the squash while retaining its flavor and texture quickly.
Is Summer Squash Healthy?
Yes, summer squash is a healthy vegetable with low calories, low carb, and nutrients. It is a good source of dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, and magnesium.
Summer squash also contains antioxidants that can help protect against inflammation and chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Additionally, summer squash is low in carbohydrates and has a low glycemic index, making it a good food choice for those watching their blood sugar levels. Adding summer squash can help support a healthy and balanced diet.
What To Serve With Summer Squash
Summer squash is a versatile vegetable that is a great side dish. Here are different ways to serve fresh summer squash.
- Grilled chicken or fish: The mild flavor of summer squash is an excellent complement to grilled chicken or fish.
- Roasted vegetables: Roast other vegetables, such as carrots, onions, and bell peppers, alongside the summer squash for a flavorful and nutritious side dish.
- Rice or quinoa: Serve roasted or grilled summer squash over a bed of rice or quinoa for a satisfying and healthy meal.
- Pasta: Toss sautéed summer squash with cooked pasta, garlic, and Parmesan cheese for a quick and delicious meal.
- Salad: Add sliced raw summer squash to your favorite salad for extra crunch and nutrition.
- Grilled or roasted meats: Serve grilled or roasted meats, such as beef, pork, or lamb, with roasted summer squash for a tasty and balanced meal.
- Sandwiches: Add grilled or roasted summer squash to sandwiches or wraps for a healthy lunch.
Summer squash is a versatile vegetable used in various dishes to add flavor, nutrition, and texture.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Summer Squash
- 2 medium fresh summer squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Wash and dry the summer squash with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Cut the squash into uniform squash slices or cubes about 1/2 inch thick. Add to a large bowl, then add your oil and seasonings and toss to coat. Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Place the squash in the basket of your air fryer, making sure not to overcrowd the basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook your yellow squash in batches.
- Set the cooking time for 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking.
- Check for doneness by inserting a fork into a piece of squash. It should be tender and cooked through.
- Before serving, sprinkle with fresh herbs, such as red pepper flakes, parsley, or basil.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper