Being from Boston, my uncles were all fishermen. Therefore, I was treated to a LOT of seafood, over the years. There was absolutely nothing better than my uncles dropping off the days’ catch to my mom, who would almost make something amazing. I remember my uncle’s dropping off baby lobsters because no one would buy them, now we all know them as chicken lobsters, and if they were free, there would be a line around the block, to get them.
My husband grew up as a good old midwestern boy, but he vacationed every year at Cape Cod, where he ate his share of great seafood.
When I moved to Ohio after we got married, I noticed that the seafood was different, they didn’t have lobsters, they had crab legs, and I literally remember going through the supermarket and saying, what are those? They just looked like something that came from outer space. Instead of cod, they ate salmon. I have never had salmon, so it was an acquired taste, my mother in law made the best salmon that I have ever had. I will probably be making it in the next couple of weeks, as we finish up Lent. She served it with a creamy dill dip, that even my son would eat (granted he would eat it without the salmon, but he would finish his bowl, LOL).
Seafood is important, it’s a great source of protein without a lot of fat. It hits most of the marks, gluten-free, low carb, and other diets.
Today, I am bringing you mussels, what I didn’t know about mussels, before making them this time, is they work wonderfully in both the Instant Pot and Air Fryer. They both open from direct heat, which with both a Pressure Cooker and Air Fryer offer. (And what they are known for)
Sauces for Mussels vary greatly, one of the most common is white wine sauce infused with garlic.
Here are some helpful suggestions, when making and purchasing mussels.
- Always get the mussels from the seafood counter at the grocery store. Do NOT buy a bag that has been sitting for a while. (Remember you are buying a live product)
- Just like when you purchase live lobster, put the live mussels directly into the refrigerator until you are going to use them.
- Look through your mussels and get rid of any cracked or opened mussels, you do not want to cook these. If they are open, try to shut them, if you can not shut them, dispose of them.
- Take your mussels and place them in a bowl of fresh water, about 30 minutes before you cook them. It helps the mussels. As they are in the water, they will get some of the grit inside the shell.
- Scrub the mussels with a brush, before you cook them. Your final dish will come out better when you do this.
Place in an air fryer safe pan with butter, and spices.
Can you say YUMMY?
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
Don’t Forget to Pin–
Air Fryer-Air Fried Mussels
This is such an easy recipe. You literally are air frying mussels, adn they come out so good, and they make a quick and healthy meal.
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 6
- Total Time: 46 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound mussels
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chives
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Start by preheating your air fryer to 390 degrees F.
- Then clean your mussels, (soak for 30 minutes, as indicated in the instructions) and then use a brush and clean your mussels, and remove the “beard.”
- Then in an air fryer safe pan, add the water, butter, garlic, chives, basil, parsley, and mussels.
- Then set the time for 3 minutes, check and see if they are opened. If they are not opened, set the time for another 2 minutes. Once, all of the mussels are opened, they are readying for eating.
**Note: Time depends on the number of mussels, and the wattage of your air fryer. Just keep on checking, you don’t want them overcooked. Once they are opened, They are cooked and ready for eating.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!
Keywords: steamed clams in air fryer air fryer frozen mussels air fryer clams can you cook clams in an air fryer air fryer fresh clams fried clams in air fryer razor clams in air fryer air fryer recipes