If you love crab cakes, this is the perfect recipe for you. Today, I bring you my recipe for Easy Air Fryer Crab Cakes.
If you have never made crab cakes, this is a great recipe to start with. They are a staple in Maryland, which is a short drive from my home. So, when we venture out with the kids and crab a nice seafood dinner in Maryland. We always order a plate of Crab Cakes at the restaurant. They are delicious! Nothing beats crab cakes!
Suppose you are not familiar with why Maryland is famous for crab. I can tell you that they are famous for the Chesapeake Blue Crabs. The Chesapeake Bay is a body of water that reaches from Maryland to Virginia Beach and is loaded with seafood.
If you are looking for more Air Fryer Seafood Recipes that are super easy, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER SEAFOOD BOIL, AIR FRYER CRISPY SHRIMP, GARLIC PARMESAN AIR-FRIED SHRIMP RECIPE, and AIR FRYER GARLIC LEMON BUTTER SCALLOPS.
What Are Crab Cakes?
Crab cakes can either be served as an appetizer, a sandwich, or as a main meal. They are usually prepared with crab meat, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, mustard, and other spices.
Usually, there are either pan-fried, baked, grilled, deep-fried, or, in our case, air fried. There are several different kinds, including Maryland Crab Cakes and other regional varieties.
They are fabulous, and by using the air fryer for this recipe, you save lots and lots of calories, and you use so much more oil, a perfectly healthy and delicious recipe!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Crab Cakes
- Lump Crab Meat
- Saltine Crackers
- Worceshires Sauce
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Dijon Mustard
- Lemon Juice
How to make Air Fryer Crab Cakes
Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees F, air fryer setting.
In a medium bowl, mix crushed cracker crumbs, egg, mayonnaise, and celery, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, Old Bay Seasoning, mustard, and lemon juice until it is well combined.
Gently fold in the crab meat, taking care not to break up the lumps. Drop four equal portions so the crab mixture on a sheet.
Using your hands, gently form portions into smooth patties until firm. Brush with melted butter.
Place patties butter side down in preheated air fryer basket, then brush the top with the remaining butter.
Cook for 370 degrees F, air fryer setting for 15 minutes.
Some Pro Tips:
- The best crab for crab cakes is either lump crab meat or jumbo lump crab meat.
- Trader Joe’s has some of the best prices in my area for crab meat.
- You can also find crab meat at Costco.
- Since every air fryer is slightly different, you need to check the crab cakes frequently during the cooking process.
- Some air fryers need the food to be flipped for both sides to be evenly cooked.
- You will need to use either parchment paper or an air fryer liner for the crab cakes to be cooked adequately.
How To Store Leftover Crab Cakes
If you have any leftover crab cakes, place them into an airtight container and keep them refrigerated.
Consume with in three days, you can even reheat them in the air fryer.
Can I Make This Crab Cake Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Yes! Make the patties, then cover and refrigerate until you are ready to brush with butter and air fry.
You can even freeze uncooked crab cakes! Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months—Thaw in the refrigerator before air frying.
Can I Make Mini Crab Cakes With This Recipe?
Yes! This recipe will make approximately 24 (3 tablespoons) crab cakes.
Can I Combine Different Types of Crab Meat?
Yeah! I have made this by combining fresh and canned crab meat. This can be really cost-effective and a great budget-friendly meal!
What Is The Best Crab Meat For This Recipe?
Look for Jumbo Lump Blue Crab meat that has been “handpicked.” This means that someone has checked for shells! But always check the meat for shells, just in case.
You can purchase real canned crab meat if you do not have a fresh seafood source. Just make sure to drain well. If you are using canned crab, increase the cracker crumbs to one cup.
What To Serve With Crab Cakes?
This is a great recipe, and you can serve it with several things. Some of my favorites are Cocktail, Tartar, or Remoulade Sauce.
Coleslaw, Baby potatoes, or Corn on the cob, and extra lemon juice for serving.
In Maryland, crab cakes are often served with saltine crackers, lettuce and tomatoes.
Some Other Great & Easy Air Fryer Seafood Recipes-
- AIR FRYER SEAFOOD BOIL
- AIR FRYER CRISPY SHRIMP
- EASY AIR FRYER COPYCAT MCDONALD’S FILET-O-FISH
- AIR FRYER TUNA MELT GRILLED CHEESE
- AIR FRYER CHINESE BUFFET CRAB CASSEROLE RECIPE
- 1-pound lump crab meat
- ½ cup saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 5 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼ cup celery, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, mix crushed cracker crumbs, egg, mayonnaise, celery, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, old bay seasoning, mustard, and lemon juice until the mixture is well combined.
- Gently fold in crab meat, taking care not to break up the lumps.
- Drop four equal portions of the crab mixture on a sheet.
- Using your hands, gently form portions into smooth patties until firm.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Place patties butter side down in preheated air fryer basket, then brush the top with remaining butter.
- Cook at 370F, air fryer setting for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Additional suggestions: Cocktail, tartar sauce or remoulade sauce, coleslaw, baby potatoes or corn on the cob, and extra lemon juice for serving.
In Maryland, crab cakes are often served with saltine crackers, lettuce, and tomatoes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 210mgSodium: 1552mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 23g