These Easy Air Fryer Crab Cakes are utterly incredible. Made with lump crab meat, seasonings, crackers, and egg to create crispy and delicious fried crab cakes without all the oil.
Who doesn’t love a great crab cake recipe? They taste as good, if not better, than pan-fried crab cakes! And today, we give you this easy recipe for good Maryland-Style Crab Cakes!
Air Fried Crab Cakes
Everyone loves a GREAT crab cake, and you have just stumbled upon the ultimate fried crab cake! The best part is that they’re not hard to make and can be fried in your air fryer. Today, we’ll show you how to make delicious air fryer crab cakes with simple steps and ingredients.
If you have never made crab cakes, this is a great recipe. They are a staple in Maryland, a short drive from my home. So, when we venture out with the kids and grab a nice seafood dinner in Maryland, fried crab cakes are often our go-to. We always order a plate of Crab Cakes at the restaurant. They are delicious! Nothing beats crab cakes!
Suppose you are looking for more Air Fryer Seafood Recipes that are super easy. In that case, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER SEAFOOD BOIL, AIR FRYER CRISPY SHRIMP, GARLIC PARMESAN AIR-FRIED SHRIMP RECIPE, and AIR FRYER GARLIC LEMON BUTTER SCALLOPS.
Why You’ll Love Crab Cakes In The Air Fryer
- 11 ingredients
- Quick 30-minute recipe
- Easy directions
- Fried crab cakes without all the oil!
- Seafood lovers will devour them.
- Less Mess Than Frying
- Hot Air Perfectly Cooks The Delicious Crab Cakes
- Perfect For Busy Weeknights
What Are Crab Cakes?
These air-fried crab cakes can be served as appetizers, sandwiches, or main dishes. They are usually prepared with crab meat, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, mustard, and other spices.
Usually, there are either pan-fried, baked, grilled, deep-fried, or air fried. There are several different kinds, including Maryland Crab Cakes and other regional varieties.
These crab cakes in the air fryer are set apart because you save lots and lots of calories. Even without all the oil, they are perfectly crispy.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Crab Cakes
If you’re looking for a delicious way to cook crab cakes in an air fryer, look no further! This recipe for air fryer crab cakes is easy to make and full of delicious flavors. Made with a combination of buttery lump crab meat, spices, and crunchy crackers or panko breadcrumbs – these light and crispy bites are sure to be a hit! Read on to discover the ingredients for this tasty seafood dish that’s perfect for any occasion.
Remember, The Step-By-Step Directions Are Below In The Prrinbtae Recipe Card At The Bottom Of This Post
- Lump Crab Meat: For best results, use good crab meat.
- Saltine Crackers: You can also use crushed pork rinds or bread crumbs.
- Egg: Use a large, room-temperature egg
- Mayonnaise: Use low-fat or regular mayo.
- Celery: Add some crispiness and flavor! You can also use diced bell pepper or green onion.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Adds lots of flavors!
- Parsley: Serve with additional fresh parsley
- Old Bay Seasoning: Homemade or Store-bought, you can also use Cajun Seasoning.
- Dijon Mustard: Adds some tang
- Lemon Juice
- Serve With: Fresh Lemon Wedge, Lemon Zest, Sour Cream, or Hot Sauce
How To Cook Traditional Crab Cakes In Air Fryer
Crab cakes are a classic seafood dish that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Whether you’re serving them as an appetizer at a dinner party or making them for lunch on a weeknight, they make an enjoyable and flavorful meal. But if you want to take your crab cake experience up a notch, why not try cooking yours in an air fryer instead? Air frying crab cakes will give you golden-brown crusts with moist and succulent interiors – all the great flavors of traditional fried foods using only a little oil.
Step 1: Preheat Air Fryer
Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees F, air fryer setting.
Step 2: Prepare Crab Cake Mixture
In a medium bowl, mix crushed cracker crumbs, egg, mayonnaise, celery, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, Old Bay Seasoning, mustard, and lemon juice until it is well combined.
Step 3: Make Homemade Crab Cakes
Gently fold in the crab meat, not breaking up the lumps. Use your hands to Drop four equal portions of the crab mixture on a sheet of parchment.
Using your hands, gently form the crab meat mixture into smooth patties until firm. Brush with melted butter.
Step 4: Air Fry Crab Patties
Place crab cakes butter side down in preheated air fryer basket, in a single layer, then brush the top with the remaining butter.
Air fry crab cakes at 370 degrees F, air fryer setting, and set the cooking time for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Step Five: Serving
Serve your crispy crab cakes with your favorite sauce., or dipping sauce.
Air Fried Crab Cakes Pro Tips:
- The best crab for cakes in the air fryer is either lump crab meat or jumbo fresh lump crab meat, but you can also use imitation crab meat.
- Trader Joe’s has some of the best prices in my area for crab meat. I often stock up on their jumbo lump crab meat; Aldis also sells their own brand of jumbo lump crabmeat.
- You can also find crab meat at Costco, and I often purchase their brand of frozen crab cakes.
- Since every air fryer is slightly different, you must frequently check the air-fried crab cakes during the cooking process.
- Some air fryers need the food flipped for both sides to be evenly cooked.
- You can use either parchment paper liners or an air fryer liner to ensure that cleanup is a breeze. You can also use nonstick cooking spray to prepare your air fryer.
- Seasonings: You can also use cayenne pepper for some heat, which brings out the crab flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Store Leftovers
If you have leftover crab cakes, place them in an air-tight container and keep them refrigerated.
Consume within three days, and you can even reheat them in the air fryer.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Yes! Make the patties, then cover and refrigerate until you are ready to brush with butter and air fry.
You can even freeze uncooked crab cakes! Store in an airtight container in the freezer, or warp each crab cake in plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator before air frying.
Can I Make Mini Crab Cakes With This Recipe?
Yes! This recipe will make approximately 24 (3 tablespoons) crab cakes in the air fryer.
Can I Combine Different Types of Crab Meat?
Yeah! I have made this recipe by combining fresh and canned crab meat. This can be cost-effective and a great budget-friendly meal!
What Is The Best Crab Meat For This Recipe?
Look for Jumbo Lump Blue Crab meat that has been “handpicked.” This means that someone has checked for shells! But always check the meat for shells, just in case.
You can purchase real canned crab meat if you do not have a fresh crab meat source. Just make sure to drain well. Increase the cracker crumbs to one cup if you use canned crab.
What To Serve With Crab Cakes?
These air-fried crab cakes go well with several things. My favorite dipping sauces are cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, or remoulade sauce.
Coleslaw, baby potatoes, corn on the cob, and green beans, potato salad are great side dishes. Don’t forget a little extra lemon juice for serving.
In Maryland, crab cakes are often served with saltine crackers, lettuce, and tomatoes.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER SEAFOOD BOIL
- AIR FRYER CRISPY SHRIMP
- EASY AIR FRYER COPYCAT MCDONALD’S FILET-O-FISH
- AIR FRYER TUNA MELT GRILLED CHEESE
- AIR FRYER CHINESE BUFFET CRAB CASSEROLE RECIPE
Air Fryer Crab Cakes
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 1/2 cup saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup celery, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, mix crushed cracker crumbs, egg, mayonnaise, celery, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, old bay seasoning, mustard, and lemon juice until the mixture is well combined.
- Gently fold in crab meat, taking care not to break up the lumps.
- Drop four equal portions of the crab mixture on a sheet.
- Using your hands, gently form portions into smooth patties until firm.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Place patties butter side down in preheated air fryer basket, then brush the top with remaining butter.
- Cook at 370F, air fryer setting for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer