Air Fryer Macaroni and Cheese Muffins — Macaroni and cheese is a classic dish that many people love. Air fryer macaroni and cheese muffins are an innovative twist on the traditional recipe, using some of your favorite ingredients in a fun new way!
Do you love macaroni and cheese? I know that both of my kids do. It’s one of their favorite foods.
Is there anything better than a great appetizer or quick lunch than macaroni and cheese? This makes for either a great appetizer, a quick lunch, or even a great way to use leftover macaroni and cheese!
And it’s so good!
Air Fryer Macaroni and Cheese Muffins Recipe
What better way to use leftover macaroni and cheese than in a fun and exciting way. Using muffin tins, you can bake up your leftover macaroni and cheese and have a delicious snack, appetizer, or quick bite!
Kid-Friendy and delicious!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Macaroni and Cheese Muffins
Bread Crumbs: A great time to use gluten-free, or even homemade bread crumbs. You can either use seasoned or unseasoned.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Freshly grated works better here since the store-bought (package) cheese has cellulose, which causes it not to melt like fresh grated. And for macaroni and cheese, you want melted cheese!
Egg: If you want to do this dairy-free (or egg-free), you can use the alternatives, such as tofu, applesauce, or even mashed banana.
How To Make Air Fryer Macaroni and Cheese Muffins
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
Spoon the mac n cheese mixture into a prepared muffin tin. **Make sure to spray the muffin tins generously with non-stick spray, so the muffins are easy to remove. Set the pan into the air fryer, set the temperature to 320 degrees F, air fryer setting, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the macaroni and cheese is bubbling. Then top each muffin with additional shredded cheese. Air fry for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cheese melted.
- Start with really cold macaroni and cheese, which will better hold its shape and get mixed with the other ingredients.
- If you find that your cheese is flying around in the air fryer, press it very firmly with a spoon. You can also cover the macaroni and cheese muffins with foil. Make sure that it’s firmly attached. Otherwise, it can become a fire hazard.
- You do not need to preheat the air fryer for this recipe.
- For best results, use a metal muffin pan, which will allow your muffins to have a better structure. I have listed some of the great ones I use in both Air Fryer Oven and Basket Models.
Just like macaroni and cheese, you can have many adaptations of the same recipe. I love using what I have on hand and creating new combinations.
Some Great Add Ins:
- Meat: Diced Ham, bacon, ground beef, or even leftover Thanksgiving Turkey! (remember to use fully cooked meats) Hot Dogs
- Fish: Tuna Fish
- Vegetables: Peas, Tomatoes, Jalapeno Peppers, Broccoli
- Seasonings: add some hot sauce, sriracha sauce over ven some garlic or onion powder.
How To Store:
These are a great make-ahead recipe. Prepare as directed, and then place the leftover Air Fryer Macaroni and Cheese Muffins into an airtight container. Put into the refrigerator, they should last for about 2 to 3 days.
How To Reheat:
For best results, reheat in the microwave or the air fryer. Heat until warmed through.
How To Freeze:
These make for a great and easy freezer meal; I love making a double batch, eating one, and then saving one for another time.
To freeze, let the muffins cool to room temperature and then place them into a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. Thye will last for about 1 to 2 months.
You can either defrost overnight in the refrigerator or reheat in the microwave or air fryer and heat until warmed through.
Great Muffin Tins For The Air Fryer
Depending on what air fryer model you own, here are my two top choices. One is great for the air fryer basket and fits many larger models, while the other is great for larger oven models. Remember to measure your air fryer before purchasing. (affiliate links included)
More Air Fryer Recipes:
- BEST AIR FRYER MUG CAKE RECIPES FOR A SUPER EASY TREAT
- AIR FRYER FRUIT TART
- AIR FRIED CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
- EASY AIR FRYER TERIYAKI PORK CHOPS
- AIR FRYER CRAB LEGS
- AIR FRYER COPYCAT IN-N-OUT ANIMAL FRIES
Air fryer macaroni and cheese muffins are the perfect spin on a classic dish that you can enjoy any time! These cheesy muffins provide all of your favorite cheesy flavors without even turning on an oven!
- Approximately 4 cups leftover mac n cheese – cold
- ⅓ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese + additional for topping
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon the mac n cheese mixture into a prepared muffin tin. **Make sure to spray the muffin tins generously with non-stick spray, so the muffins are easy to remove.
- Set the pan into the air fryer, set the temperature to 320 degrees F, air fryer setting, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the macaroni and cheese is bubbling.
- Then top each muffin with additional shredded cheese. Air fry for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cheese melted.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Keywords: Air Fryer Macaroni and Cheese Muffins