Air Fryer Potatoes au Gratin or Air Fryer Scalloped Potatoes are a simple and delicious meal that you can make in minutes in the air fryer!
Delicious Air Fryer Homemade Potatoes Au Gratin Scalloped Potatoes –Air Fryer Homemade Potatoes Au Gratin Scalloped Potatoes are delicious, milky, and creamy. If you are looking for a new potato recipe in your air fryer, this is it!
Air Fryer Homemade Potatoes Au Gratin Scalloped Potatoes are delicious, milky, and creamy. This classic side dish is taken to a new level thanks to the layer of Gruyere Cheese, which makes them delicious. Air Fried potatoes are fantastic, and once you have them, you won’t want them any other way!
Can You Make Scalloped Potatoes In Air Fryer?
Yes, remember anything you can make in the oven you can easily convert to an air fryer recipe, and scallop potatoes are no different!
How to Make Air Fryer Homemade Potatoes Au Gratin, Scalloped Potatoes
Everyone loves potatoes! There is nothing quite like a meat and potato meal! It’s one of the most classic American dishes out there. And the great thing about potatoes is that there are hundreds of ways to cook them!
Whether you want to use the Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker), air fryer, or make them in your oven, they are all full of flavor. The key to a great dish is spices; you need to use lots of different spices in your potato dish until you find one that you like on potatoes. I added salt to my potatoes, but my son loves them, so I let him season them one day. I realized that good old salt and pepper, applied in LARGE quantities, really seasoned the potatoes well, so after that, I used to add more than I usually did. Everyone complimented me on my potato dishes. So, experiment, find out what spice you like, and adapt it to any potato recipe.
Why This Recipe Works!!
This recipe works because using potatoes as your side dish is so budget-friendly.
These are usually on sale at the grocery store at least twice a month, so take that time and grab yourself a package/bundle.
You can turn one package of potatoes for about $3.00 for a 5-pound bag into about three dishes. So, that’s a real budget saver.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Potatoes au Gratin
- Russet potatoes
- Milk – you can use whole, 2%, or low fat
- Heavy cream – this adds decadence
- Parmesan cheese
- Nutmeg – this can be already ground, or you can grate your own.
- Kosher or sea salt – remember table salt is for seasoning at the table.
- Black pepper
- Gruyere cheese
How To Make Air Fryer Potatoes au Gratin
Start by greasing your air fryer pan. Then, wash and pat your potatoes dry, and peel your potatoes. Slice your potatoes into 1/4 to 1/3 inch slices and place them in a large bowl. In the large bowl with the potatoes, add the milk, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, garlic, nutmeg, kosher salt, and black pepper. Toss well to coat the potatoes.
Pour them into the prepared pan and level them out with a spoon. Set the pan in the air fryer oven or your air fryer basket and set the temperature to 330 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Then put the cheese on the potatoes and set the time to 3 minutes. Once they are done, plate, serve and enjoy.
Why Are My Air Fryer Scalloped Potaote Still Hard Or Firm?
If you find that your potatoes are still hard or firm after you have cooked them, here are some of my suggestions:
- Cut your potatoes thin; you want to make sure that all of your potatoes are cut at the same thickness. This way, they all cook up at the same time. I recommend using 1/4 inch thick.
- Push your potatoes underneath the cream so that the hot air from the air fryer doesn’t dry the potatoes out.
The Difference Between Scalloped Potatoes and Au Gratin Potatoes
If you’ve ever wondered what the difference is between scalloped potatoes and au gratin potatoes, you’re not alone. Both dishes are made with sliced potatoes, cheese, and cream, but some key differences are.
The only difference is that au gratin potatoes have shredded cheese between the layers, but scallop potatoes traditionally do not contain cheese.
What Are The Best Potatoes To Use For Au Gratin?
The best potatoes to use are either Russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes. Both hold their shape while they cook up. It’s a great option because you have a great texture to these potatoes.
Best Cheese For Au Gratin
The traditional cheese that is used is Gruyere. Gruyere is an excellent flavor with a sharp taste. You can find it in the cheese section of your local grocery store.
Some other options would be Sharp Cheddar Cheese and either Colby Jack.
How Long To Bake Au Grain Potatoes In Air Fryer
Since every air fryer is slightly different, my suggestion is to cook these potatoes are a low temperature, 330 degrees F, and continue to cook until your potatoes are fork-tender.
Remember to watch your potatoes as they cook up, and as the potatoes cool down, the sauce will thicken up.
- Air Fryer Hasselbeck Bacon Bleu Cheese Potatoes
- Air Fryer Italian Stuffed Mushrooms
- Easy Air Fryer Roasted Carrots
- Air Fryer Stuffing
- Air Fryer Cheese Fries
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Air Fryer Potatoes au Gratin
- 3 large Russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese
- Start by greasing your air fryer pan. Then, wash and pat your potatoes dry, and peel your potatoes. Slice your potatoes into about 1/4 to 1/3 inch slices and place them in a large bowl. In the large bowl with the potatoes, add the milk, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, garlic, nutmeg, kosher salt, and black pepper. Toss well to coat the potatoes.
- Pour them into the prepared pan and level them out with a spoon. Set the pan in the air fryer oven or your air fryer basket and set the temperature to 330 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Then put the cheese on the potatoes and set the time to 3 minutes. Once they are done, plate, serve and enjoy.
- Air Fryer
- Baking Pan