My youngest child Jason is an avid hockey player, he plays hockey at least 2 hours a day, followed by a strenuous workout. So, he is always craving protein, his favorite source of protein is steak.
Steak on the grill is amazing, but during the winter months, it’s not always possible to get to the grill, since we have snow to contend with. The air fryer solves this problem.
Seasoning of the steak is important since both the grill and the air fryer will seal in the flavor.
Here are tips for air frying steaks:
1. Choose the right cut of meat- Filet Mignon, Ribeyes, Strip Steaks, Top Sirloin, Porterhouse, and T-Bone are all great for the air fryer. They all have a great fat and meat ratio for the grill or air fryer.
2. Choose the right quality of meat-Purchase a good quality of meat, from a butcher or from the supermarket. They grade meat on marbling and the connective tissues. Marbling should be shown throughout the meat with white-colored fat (marbling) I always look for a thin coat of marble throughout the meat for the air fryer or Instant Pot, since it will melt and give a nice flavor to the meat, without it being greasy.
3. Season-Salt your meat before you place your meat in the air fryer. I let my meat sit on the counter for about 15 minutes and salt it before air frying.
4. Room Temperature (Before You Cook)-Take your meat from the refrigerator and let it rest on the counter for about 15 to 30 minutes, before cooking. Steak at room temperature absorbs the seasonings better. It also helps the fibers in the meat loosen, which will produce a tender cut of meat. Room temperature steaks (meat) also cook faster than cold steak (meats) seasonings better.
5. Let Your Cooked Steak (Meat) Rest Again-After cooking let your meat rest, just about 5 minutes. It helps to let the juices flow to the center of the steak so that when you cut the steak, all of the juices will not flow out. This will give you a better piece of meat for dinner or lunch.
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
Don’t Forget To Pin—
This is a really delicious meal, prepared with just a few ingredients. The hard part is wrapping it. ONce you have it wrapped up, it air fries really nicely, with a great juicy piece of meat at the end.
- 1 pound flank steak
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup garlic herb cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
The first thing I do when making steak (I got this hint from one of Bobby Flay's shows) let the meat rest at room temperature for AT LEAST 30 minutes.
Then cut the meat horizontally, about 1 inch around..
Along the side, spread the cream cheese and top with the spinach, add some salt and pepper.
Wrap up, the steak, so that the filling is inside the meat.
Start by preheating the air fryer, steak is one of the few recipes, that I preheat the air fryer for. But the meat will come out better, so turn the air fryer oven'/basket on for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Set the steaks in the air fryer for 6 minutes, then flip and air fry for another 6 minutes.
Again, per Bobby Flay, let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes. The steak will continue to cook.
Plate, serve and enjoy!