Air Fryer Fish and Chips are dipped in a homemade batter, then fried to perfection. Served with steak fries, this crispy air fryer fried fish is incredible!
Air Fryer Fish and Chips
My Air Fryer Fish and Chips recipe is fantastic! Fish in the air fryer is light and flaky on the inside and crispy on the outside. Plus, because it’s air fried, it requires less oil, so it’s much healthier than other fried fish.
Served any time of year, it’s sure to become a new family favorite. We typically serve this fish and chips air fryer recipe along with some dipping sauce to complete the meal. It’s heavenly!
Why You’ll Love Fish In The Air Fryer
- 20 minute recipe
- Made from scratch
- Healthier than deep fried fish
- 10 ingredients + fries & Homemade Tartar Sauce
Air Fryer Fish and Chips Ingredients
- Cod or White Fish of your choice
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Beer Or Water
- Spices: Salt, Black Pepper, Paprika, and Garlic Powder
- Cooking Spray
- Lemon Wedges & Tartar Sauce for Serving
How to Make Air Fryer Fish and Chips:
Step 1: Prep the flour mixture
Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F, air fryer setting. Mix together 1/2 of the flour and spices in a medium-sized bowl.
In another medium-sized bowl, whisk together the other half of the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, beer or water, and egg until smooth.
Step 2: Coat the fish in batter
Place the cod, one piece at a time, into the batter. Let any excess batter drip off, and then place it into the flour/spice mixture. Coat it in the flour, pressing it in.
Step 3: Cook air fryer fried fish
Spray the air fryer basket well with cooking spray or use a piece of parchment paper. Place the fish into the basket, ensuring that the fish pieces are not touching each other. Spray generously with cooking spray.
Air fry for 10 to 12 minutes. Halfway through the cooking process, spray again with more cooking spray. There is no need to flip.
The fish is done when it’s golden brown. Sprinkle it with some salt to taste.
If you love seafood, check out some of my other easy air fryer seafood recipes.
Pro Tips for Air Fried Fish:
It’s easy to cook delicious air fryer beer-battered fish if you follow my tips!
- Do not crowd the basket. An air fryer works by hot air circulating around the food. When your food is touching, the hot air is restricted from crisping up your food.
- Blot your fish. Before you batter and bread your fish, dry it with a paper towel. This will make the coating adhere more evenly to the fish.
- Preheat your air fryer. This is one of the few recipes where preheating is absolutely necessary. Your batter and breading will stay on better if the air fryer is already hot.
- Use parchment paper. Another tip for successful breaded fish in the air fryer is to use a piece of parchment paper.
Absolutely! There is no better way to reheat air fried fish. It will keep its crispy texture instead of getting soggy.
To reheat the fish and chips in the air fryer, add them to the air fryer basket and set the temperature to 340 degrees F — heat for about 4 to 8 minutes or until warmed through.
While you can surely make air fryer fish and chips using frozen fish, it is tough to bread frozen meat or seafood.
To get the best results from this fish and chips air fryer recipe, I strongly recommend using thawed fish. That way, you will get a beautiful breaded cod when you are done.
The actual time will depend on the thickness of the fish and the air fryer that you own. My advice is always to use a meat thermometer to get perfect meat and seafood from your air fryer. Air fryer fried fish should be cooked to at least 145 degrees F.
You definitely can. This is not the only batter mixture that will make delicious fish and chips. Another way that you can prepare this dish is with pancake mix, which is very common for a traditional fish and chips dinner.
Cod is the most popular fish that is used to make fish and chips, but there are many other white fish that will do the trick. Stick to white fish, and you will come out with a tasty meal! Some great options are:
Nothing beats a plate of homemade air fryer fish and chips that are perfectly seasoned and ready in minutes!
More simple and delicious air fryer fish recipes:
- AIR FRYER BACON WRAPPED SHRIMP
- AIR FRYER COPYCAT MCDONALD’S FILET-O-FISH
- EASY AIR FRYER TUNA MELT GRILLED CHEESE
- AIR FRYER FISH STICKS RECIPE
- AIR FRYER CHINESE BUFFET CRAB CASSEROLE RECIPE
Air Fryer Fish and Chips
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup room temperature beer or water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 12 oz cod filets, thawed
- Cooking spray
- Serving: Steak Fries, Lemon Wedges, Tartar Sauce
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F, air fryer setting. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the flour, the cornstarch, baking soda, beer or water, and egg until smooth. Set aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of flour, the salt, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Place the cod, one piece at a time, into the batter. Let any excess batter drip off and place into the flour mixture. Coat it in the flour and press it in. Spray the air fryer basket well with cooking spray or use a piece of parchment paper. Place the fish into the basket, making sure that the fish is not touching each other. Spray generously with cooking spray.
- Air Fry for 10 to 12 minutes. Halfway through the cooking process, spray again with more cooking spray. There is no need to flip. It is done when the fish is golden brown. Sprinkle with some salt to taste.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy! Serve with steak fries, lemon wedges, and tartar sauce for dipping.
- Air Fryer