Is there anything better than a fish taco? How about an Air Fryer Tilapia Tacos? Made with crispy tilapia fillets, this is one of my favorites, and of course, nothing is better than cooking fish than the air fryer. The crispy fish tacos I had the last night with my family were amazing!
If you have been looking for easy air fryer recipes, this is one of the best, and these flavorful air fryer fish tacos taste just like they came out of a food truck! They were fantastic; talk about an easy dinner! Serve with refried beans or fresh mango salsa, and have a tremendous weeknight dinner!
Fish cooks amazingly in the air fryer, and I am giving you one of my favorite air fryer recipes! The best thing is that you can use any fish for this recipe. It’s a delicious recipe, but simple enough to cook it up the first time you use your air fryer!
Why You Will Love Air Fryer Fish Tacos
Are you in the mood for an easy-to-make, crave-worthy dish packed with flavor? Look no further! We’ve got a delicious air fryer fish taco recipe here that will surely put a smile on your face. With its sweet and spicy flavors, crunchy coleslaw, and flaky fried fish–all cooked up quickly in your air fryer–this Mexican-inspired meal will be ready before you know it. Plus, if you have any extra time or ingredients left over from making this dish, there are plenty of ways to customize it to make it even tastier! So grab some tortillas, and let’s get air frying!
The air fryer is a perfect way to make this simple recipe!
Ingredients For Easy Air Fryer Fish Tacos
Are you looking for an easy and healthy dinner option? If so, then look no further! Air fryer fish tacos are a delicious way to feed the whole family without spending hours in the kitchen. Air fryer recipes are delicious, quick, and simple, allowing you to whip up flavorful meals in minutes. From seasoning your fresh fish fillets to creating the perfect crunchy taco shells, we’ll break down all the key ingredients for this delightful dish. Let’s get cooking together!
Remember the detailed ingredients and step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card.
- Tilapia: Nothing is better for fish tacos; you can also use any mild flavor white fish, firm white fish, such as Mahi Mahi, cod, or even haddock.
- Oil: Even though we are using an air fryer, the olive oil will give you a crunchy texture and crunchy coating, as well as create the golden brown color of the fish. You can also use avocado oil, coconut oil, spray oil, or cooking spray; I would not recommend using canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour
- Egg: Use a large room-temperature egg to help the batter stick to the fish.
- Panko Bread Crumbs: You can also use keto or low carb panko breadcrumbs or pork rinds. You can also use regular breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Coleslaw Mix: Cabbage, Lime Juice, White Vinegar, Honey, Salt, and Black Pepper
- Seasonings and Spices: Ground Cumin, Chili Powder, Salt, and Black Pepper
- Serving: Corn Tortillas, Flour Tortillas, Sour Cream, Avocado Lime Crema, and Fresh Cilantro.
How To Make Fish Tacos In Air Fryer
Step One: Prepare The Cabbage Slaw
In a medium bowl, prepare the cabbage slaw by tossing the cabbage with lime juice, vinegar, and honey, season with salt and pepper, and refrigerate.
Step Two: Preheat The Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 400˚F (200˚C).
Step Three: Prepare Panko Mixture
Divide flour, egg, and panko bread crumbs into three shallow bowls or shallow dish. Mix cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper into panko bread crumbs.
Step Four: Prepare The Fish
Using a paper towel, pat pieces of fish dry. One at a time, coat piece of fish in flour (shaking off excess), egg, and panko (bread crumb mixture), pressing to coat.
Step Five: Air Frying The Fish
Working in batches, place fish in the air fryer basket, single layer and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the fish is golden and cooked through, and the fish flakes.
Step Six: Assemble the Fish Taco:
Let the fish cool down for a couple of minutes; cut into bite-size pieces, and then assemble fish tacos by placing fish into the center of a warmed tortilla, then topping with cabbage slaw, baja sauce, cilantro, and other additions such as salsa, red onion, fresh lime juice, and avocado.
Pro Tips For The Best Air Fryer Tilapia Fish Tacos
- Seasoning: There are so many ways to season your fish tacos. My favorites are simple spice mixes, such as cajun seasoning, garlic powder, seasoning stick, onion powder, a homemade spice blend, or spice mix.
- Fish: You can use any mild fish flavor, such as haddock, cod, swai, sea bass, or even Mahi Mahi. I love tilapia fillets because they make for flaky white fish when you air fry them. This recipe’s best fish is fresh; frozen does not coat well.
- Crowding: Be careful not to over-crowd your air-fryer basket; you should leave plenty of space around the fish so that the hot air can circulate around the fish, causing you to get a crispy coating. Make sure to spray the fish pieces with olive oil or high-heat oil.
- Timing: Due to the thickness of the fish, the cooking time will vary. For best results, use a meat thermometer and check the internal temperature of the fish; this will help prevent soggy fish tacos.
- Parchment Paper: You can line your fry base with parchment paper, which will help help you clean up easily.
Topping For Fish Tacos
Fish tacos are a delicious and versatile meal option tailored to individual tastes with various toppings. While some opt for traditional taco toppings such as lettuce, tomato, and cheese, many other options are available. Adding crunchy vegetables like radishes or cabbage adds flavor and provides an extra layer of texture. Sliced avocado, diced bell peppers, lime wedges, and jalapenos can also be included for a unique flavor. To bring out the flavor of the fish, consider adding creamy sauces like sour cream or guacamole. A squeeze of fresh lime juice, or hot sauce, can also provide an extra zing to the tacos. Top with Greek yogurt mixed with fresh herbs and spices for a healthy alternative, or try my recipe for avocado crema. Playing around with the toppings allows you to create the perfect fish taco for any palate.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Fish Tacos Recipe
Fish tacos are delicious for lunch or dinner, but they need to be served with the right side dish to make them pop. A great option is a rice, which can be cooked in various ways and complements fish tacos well. Another favorite is steamed broccoli – it adds crunch and color and pairs nicely with the protein of the fish. For an even heartier side dish, rice and broccoli can be combined for a filling accompaniment to your fish tacos. Whatever you choose, it will bring out the best in your meal!
How To Store Air Fryer Tilapia Tacos
To keep your fish tacos fresh, it’s best to wrap them tightly in plastic or aluminum foil when storing them in the refrigerator. This will help to prevent any odors from transferring and keep your tacos fresh. If you’re not going to eat the tacos right away, it’s important to ensure that they are stored at a temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit (4 degrees Celsius) or lower.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER NUTELLA BOMBS
- AIR FRYER ECLAIRS
- NINJA FOODI FRENCH TOAST
- AIR FRYER OKTOBERFEST BURGER
- AIR FRYER BARBECUE ROASTED MIXED NUTS
- KETO AIR FRYER CHICKEN PARMESAN
- CRISPY KETO AIR FRYER LEMON PEPPER WINGS
I hope that you enjoyed this easy recipe for fish tacos. This is one of my favorite recipes. We often make our own tortillas to serve with these, and my son loves these as taco bowls! There are so many ways to enjoy air-fried fish tacos. If you loved this recipe, please comment below, and provide a star rating!
Air Fryer Tilapia Tacos
- 1/4 head cabbage
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound tilapia, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup panko, breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 tortillas, warmed
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, diced
- In a medium bowl, prepare the cabbage slaw by tossing the cabbage with lime juice, vinegar, and honey, season with salt and pepper, and refrigerate.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400˚F (200˚C
- Divide flour, egg, and panko bread crumbs into three shallow bowls or shallow dishes. Mix cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper into panko bread crumbs.
- Using a paper towel, pat pieces of fish dry. One at a time, coat a piece of fish in flour (shaking off excess), egg, and panko (breadcrumb mixture), pressing to coat.
- Working in batches, place fish in the air fryer basket, single layer and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the fish is golden and cooked through, and the fish flakes.
- Let the fish cool down for a couple of minutes; cut into bite-size pieces, and then assemble fish tacos by placing fish into the center of a warmed tortilla, then topping with cabbage slaw, baja sauce, cilantro, and other additions such as salsa, red onion, fresh lime juice, and avocado.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray