Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos — Are your taste buds getting excited? Prepare yourself for a delicious, crunchy treat with this air fryer chicken taquito recipe. Not only is this meal oozing with flavor and texture, but it’s also the perfect way to satisfy your cravings without spending hours in the kitchen.
With just a few simple ingredients and about 15 minutes of cook time, you can prepare these delightful Mexican staples that will have everyone asking for seconds!
What Are Chicken Taquitos
Chicken taquitos are a popular Mexican dish made with tortillas filled with seasoned shredded or diced chicken and then rolled tightly. The filled tortillas are typically deep-fried until crispy, resulting in a crunchy exterior. Chicken taquitos are often served as an appetizer, snack, or part of a larger meal.
Why Make Chicken Taquitos In Air Fryer
- Healthier cooking method: Air fryers use hot air circulation to cook food, requiring little to no oil. Compared to deep frying, using an air fryer significantly reduces the amount of oil used, resulting in a lower-fat final product.
- Reduced calories: By cutting down on oil, air frying helps reduce the overall calorie content of the taquitos. This makes them a healthier option for those watching their calorie intake or looking for a lighter alternative.
- Crispy texture: Air fryers can produce crispy and crunchy taquitos despite using less oil. The hot air circulating around the taquitos creates a similar texture to deep frying, resulting in a satisfying crunch.
- Convenience and ease of use: Air fryers are relatively simple to use and require minimal hands-on attention. Once you’ve assembled the chicken taquitos, place them in the air fryer basket and let the machine do the work. There’s no need for continuous monitoring or flipping as you would with traditional frying methods.
- Faster cooking time: Air fryers typically cook food faster than traditional ovens. This means you can enjoy your chicken taquitos in less time, making it a convenient option for quick meals or when you’re in a hurry.
- Easy cleanup: Air fryers are known for their easy cleanup. Since you’re not dealing with a large amount of oil, there’s no need to worry about messy oil splatters or disposing of used oil. The removable components of the air fryer are usually dishwasher-safe, making cleanup a breeze.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos are a delicious and convenient snack or meal option that can be prepared in minutes. Perfect for the busy parent, these savory treats provide the perfect balance of crunchy exterior and moist interior to satisfy your craving.
Whether you’re serving up game-day appetizers or need an easy dinner for weeknight meals, these chicken taquitos will be sure to tantalize your taste buds! Learn all about this quick and simple recipe to start cooking mouth-watering air-fried taquitos in no time!
Remember the step-by-step directions and the detailed ingredient list is that below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the age, as well as the nutritional information.
- Tortillas: You can use corn or flour tortillas; any size will work, whether you use a 5-inch tortilla or a large size.
- Shredded Chicken: This recipe is perfect for leftover chicken or even the Rotisserie Chicken you get from the grocery store or Costo. I love using leftovers, and this is a great recipe!
- Cheese: Use shredded cheddar cheese, shredded Mexican chees, or even shredded Colby Jack cheese for even more flavor.
- Taco Seasoning: Use homemade or store-bought taco seasoning.
- Oil: Use high-heat oil, such as olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil.
- Serving: Serve with Salsa, Sour Cream, or Guacamole.
How To Make Chicken Taquitos In Air Fryer
If you are looking for a quick, easy, and delicious way to prepare chicken taquitos for yourself or your family, look no further! Making chicken taquitos in an air fryer is one of the most efficient methods of getting that crunchy coating with all sorts of flavors packed inside. This excellent recipe uses minimal ingredients which can be easily found at any grocery store, so there’s no need to spend extra money on expensive items.
You’ll be able to enjoy freshly cooked crispy-on-the-outside and juicy-in-the-middle Chicken Taquitos in just 20 minutes’ time – perfect for busy nights when dinner needs to be ready quickly!
Step One: Warm The Tortillas
Place your tortillas in a microwave-safe place, and cover them with a damp paper towel. Place into the microwave and microwave for 20-30 seconds or until warmed through.
Warming the tortillas will help prevent cracking and make them easier to roll.
Step Two: Prepare The Filing
Add the shredded chicken, taco seasoning, and shredded cheese in a large bowl, and mix well.
Step Three: Assemble The Taquitos
Lay a tortilla on a flat surface or cutting board. Add about two tablespoons f the filling onto pt of the tortilla. Leave about 1 inch from the bottom of the tortilla. Then tightly, roll up the tortilla and then brush some olive oil over the tortilla; continue assembling the tortillas until you run out of filling or tortillas.
Step Four: Air Fry Chicken Taqqutios
Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F for 3-5 minutes. Then add your taquitos, seam side down, in a single layer, brush with olive oil, and set the cooking time for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown.
Step Five: Serving
Serve with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or queso.
Pro Tips For Making Chicken Taquitos In Air Fryer
- Preheat the air fryer: Just like other cooking methods, it’s important to preheat it. Preheating helps ensure even cooking and allows the taquitos to crisp up properly. Preheat your air fryer to 380°F (200°C) for a few minutes before adding the taquitos.
- Use corn tortillas: Corn tortillas tend to work better in the air fryer compared to flour tortillas. Corn tortillas become crispy and hold their shape nicely when air-fried. If using flour tortillas, you may need to lightly spray or brush them with oil to achieve a crispy texture.
- Roll tightly and secure with toothpicks: Roll the taquitos tightly to prevent them from unraveling during cooking. You can use toothpicks placed through the seam side to secure the taquitos. Just remember to remove the toothpicks before serving.
- Lightly spray or brush with oil: To enhance the crispiness of the taquitos, you can lightly spray or brush them with oil before air frying. This step is especially helpful if you’re using flour tortillas. Use a light coating of cooking spray or brush the taquitos with a small amount of oil.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket: Give the taquitos enough space in the air fryer basket to allow proper air circulation. Overcrowding the basket can result in uneven cooking. If needed, cook the taquitos in multiple batches.
- Flip halfway through cooking: For even browning and crispiness, flip the taquitos halfway through the cooking time. This ensures both sides are cooked evenly.
- Keep an eye on the cooking time: Air fryers can vary in cooking times, so it’s essential to keep an eye on the taquitos as they cook. Check for a golden, crispy exterior and ensure the filling is heated through. Adjust the cooking time as needed.
- Let them rest before serving: After removing the taquitos from the air fryer, let them rest for a few minutes. This allows them to crisp up more and prevents the filling from being too hot when you bite them.
- Serve with dipping sauces: Chicken taquitos are delicious on their own, but you can enhance the flavors by serving them with your favorite dipping sauces. Consider dipping options like salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or a spicy aioli.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen taquitos in the air fryer?
Yes, you can use frozen taquitos in the air fryer. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cooking time and temperature. Frozen taquitos typically require slightly longer cooking times than homemade ones.
How do I prevent the taquitos from sticking to the air fryer basket?
To prevent the taquitos from sticking to the air fryer basket, you can lightly spray the basket with cooking spray or brush it with a small amount of oil before placing the taquitos inside. This creates a non-stick surface and helps them cook more evenly.
Can I make taquitos ahead of time and reheat them in the air fryer?
Yes, you can make taquitos ahead of time and reheat them in the air fryer. After assembling the taquitos, you can refrigerate them for a few hours or overnight. When ready to serve, preheat the air fryer and reheat the taquitos for a few minutes until heated through and crispy.
Can I bake the taquitos in the oven instead of using an air fryer?
Yes, if you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake the taquitos in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and place the taquitos on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through or until the taquitos are golden and crispy.
Can I use other fillings besides chicken?
Absolutely! Chicken is a popular filling for taquitos, but you can get creative with other fillings as well. Try using shredded beef, pork, or even vegetarian options like black beans, cheese, and veggies. Adjust the seasoning and cooking time accordingly based on the chosen filling.
How do I store leftover taquitos?
If you have leftover taquitos, allow them to cool completely and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, you can place them back in the air fryer for a few minutes until heated through and crispy.
Can I freeze taquitos?
Yes, you can freeze taquitos for later use. After assembling the taquitos, arrange them on a baking sheet and place them in the freezer until firm. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag. To cook from frozen, preheat the air fryer and cook the taquitos slightly longer until heated through and crispy.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER CHERRY PIE DONUTS
- AIR FRYER LEMON DONUTS
- EASY AIR FRYER STRAWBERRY DONUT HOLES
- AIR FRYER BAKED VANILLA DONUTS
- AIR FRYER NUTELLA DONUTS
- EASY AIR FRYER POWDERED SUGAR DONUTS
- AIR FRYER CINNAMON ROLL BITES
Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 16 small corn tortillas, or flour tortillas
- 2 teaspoon olive oil, more if needed
- Place your tortillas in a microwave-safe place, and cover them with a damp paper towel. Place into the microwave and microwave for 20-30 seconds or until warmed through.
- Mix well with the shredded chicken, taco seasoning, and shredded cheese in a large bowl.
- Lay a tortilla on a flat surface or cutting board. Add about two tablespoons f the filling onto pt of the tortilla. Leave about 1 inch from the bottom of the tortilla. Then tightly, roll up the tortilla and then brush some olive oil over the tortilla; continue assembling the tortillas until you run out of filling or tortillas
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F for 3-5 minutes. Then add your taquitos, seam side down, in a single layer, brush with olive oil, and set the cooking time for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or queso.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper