Air Fryer Chicken Quesadilla — Say hello to a quick and satisfying meal that’s a favorite among kids and adults – the Air Fryer Chicken Quesadilla.
This dish takes the classic quesadilla to a new level by making it effortlessly crispy and delicious in the air fryer.
Imagine warm, melty cheese paired with tender chunks of seasoned chicken, all enclosed in a perfectly toasted tortilla. It’s a symphony of flavors and textures in every bite. Whether looking for a speedy weeknight dinner or a tasty snack, the Air Fryer Chicken Quesadilla is your ticket to savory satisfaction.
Get ready to savor the irresistible combination of gooey cheese, flavorful chicken, and golden-brown tortillas, all thanks to the magic of your air fryer!
Air Fryer Chicken Quesadillas
Air Fryer Chicken Quesadillas are a testament to the wonders of modern cooking technology, bringing you a meal that’s not only quick and convenient but also incredibly delicious. These quesadillas start with tender chunks of seasoned chicken, cooked to perfection, and then encased in a tortilla with a generous helping of gooey melted cheese. What sets them apart is the magic of the air fryer, which transforms each quesadilla into a crispy, golden-brown masterpiece without the need for excessive oil or frying.
The result? A harmonious fusion of flavors and textures – the savory chicken, the creaminess of the melted cheese, and the satisfying crunch of the tortilla shell. Air Fryer Chicken Quesadillas are versatile and customizable, perfect for lunch, dinner, or even a snack. Whether you’re feeding a hungry family or satisfying your own cravings, these quesadillas are sure to become a go-to favorite in your culinary repertoire, offering a tasty and satisfying meal that’s ready in minutes.
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Mexican Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER QUESO (MEXICAN CHEESE DIP), AIR FRYER MEXICAN STREET CORN RECIPE, TACO BELL MEXICAN PIZZA RECIPE IN THE AIR FRYER and AIR FRYER, HOMEMADE MEXICAN WEDDING COOKIES.
Ingredients in Air Fryer Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
These ingredients combine to create an Air Fryer Chicken Quesadilla bursting with savory flavors and a delightful mix of textures, making it a satisfying and quick meal option.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutrition information.
- Cooked Chicken: Tender chunks of cooked chicken are the star of this quesadilla, providing a hearty and protein-packed filling. You can use grilled, roasted, or shredded rotisserie chicken for convenience.
- Flour or Corn Tortillas: These soft flour tortillas serve as the vehicle for your quesadilla, providing a comforting and pliable wrap for the delicious fillings.
- Shredded Cheese: A generous amount of shredded cheese, such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a blend of Mexican cheeses, adds the essential gooey and melty factor that makes quesadillas irresistible.
- Cooking Spray or Oil Spray: A light coating of cooking spray or oil is applied to the tortillas to help them turn golden and crispy in the air fryer, enhancing the overall texture.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, and your choice of Mexican or taco seasoning are used to flavor the chicken and create a well-seasoned filling.
- Optional Ingredients: You can customize your quesadilla with additional ingredients like sautéed bell peppers, onions, jalapeños, salsa, guacamole, or sour cream to elevate the flavor profile to your liking.
How To Cook Chicken Quesadillas In Air Fryer
Cooking Chicken Quesadillas in an air fryer is a breeze and results in crispy, cheesy perfection. These are a quick weeknight dinner idea and make a great afternoon snack. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
Step 1: Start making quesadilla
Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees F (190°C) for 2-3 minutes to ensure it’s hot and ready.
Prepare the Tortillas: Lay one tortilla flat on a clean surface. This will be the bottom layer of your quesadilla.
Add Fillings: Begin by layering your ingredients on the tortilla. Start with a generous sprinkle of shredded cheese to cover the entire surface, followed by the cooked chicken and any optional fillings you desire.
Season: Sprinkle a pinch of salt, pepper, and optional taco seasoning over the filling to season it to your taste.
Step 2: Add another tortilla
Top with Another Tortilla: Place a second tortilla on top to create a sandwich-like structure. Press down gently to secure the filling.
Lightly Coat with Cooking Spray: Lightly spray or brush both sides of the quesadilla with cooking spray or a small amount of oil. This helps achieve a crispy texture.
Step 3: Air fry
Air Fry: Carefully place quesadillas into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Set cook time for 5-7 minutes, flipping it halfway through the cooking time. Keep a close eye on it to ensure it reaches your desired level of crispiness.
Check for Doneness: Your quesadilla is done when it’s golden brown and crispy on both sides and the cheese is melted and gooey.
Slice and Serve: Remove the quesadilla from the air fryer and let it cool for a minute or two. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to slice it into wedges. Serve hot with your favorite toppings.
Here are some delicious recipe variations and ideas for your Air Fryer Chicken Quesadilla:
- BBQ Chicken Quesadilla: Add cooked chicken tossed in your favorite barbecue sauce, red onions, and a blend of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses. Top with chopped cilantro before serving.
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas: Combine cooked chicken with buffalo sauce, blue cheese crumbles, and a drizzle of ranch or blue cheese dressing for a spicy twist.
- Vegetarian Quesadilla: Skip the chicken and create a vegetarian version with sautéed bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and spinach. Mix in some black beans for added protein and flavor.
- Tex-Mex Quesadilla: Use taco-seasoned chicken, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and Mexican cheeses. Serve with guacamole and sour cream on the side.
- Mushroom and Spinach Quesadilla: Sauté mushrooms and fresh spinach until tender, and use them as the filling along with shredded cheese. Add a touch of garlic for extra flavor.
- Breakfast Quesadilla: Start your day with a breakfast quesadilla by filling it with scrambled eggs, cooked breakfast sausage or bacon, and shredded cheese. Serve with salsa or hot sauce.
- Pesto Chicken Quesadilla: Toss chicken in pesto sauce and add sliced sun-dried tomatoes and mozzarella cheese for a flavorful and Italian-inspired quesadilla.
- Hawaiian Quesadilla: Layer diced cooked chicken, pineapple chunks, ham or Canadian bacon, and mozzarella cheese for a sweet and savory twist. It’s like a tropical luau in every bite.
- Taco Quesadilla: Use seasoned ground beef or ground turkey as the filling, along with shredded cheese, lettuce, diced tomatoes, and a dollop of sour cream.
- Leftover Quesadillas: Get creative and use leftover ingredients from previous meals, like grilled vegetables, roasted meats, or even pulled pork, to create a unique quesadilla.
Feel free to mix and match ingredients to create your own signature Air Fryer Chicken Quesadilla recipe. These variations offer a world of flavors and are perfect for satisfying your culinary cravings.
Pro Tips For Making Chicken Quesadillas In Air Fryer
To achieve the best results when making Chicken Quesadillas in the air fryer, here are some pro tips to keep in mind:
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Just like with any air fryer recipe, preheating is essential. Preheat your air fryer for a few minutes to ensure even cooking and a crispy exterior.
- Use Cooked Chicken: Use pre-cooked chicken for your quesadillas. You can use grilled, roasted, rotisserie, or shredded chicken for convenience. Ensure the chicken is seasoned well for extra flavor.
- Layer Ingredients Evenly: Distribute the cheese, chicken, and any additional fillings evenly across the tortilla to ensure a balanced taste in each bite.
- Don’t Overstuff: Avoid overloading the quesadilla with too many fillings, making it challenging to handle and may result in uneven cooking.
- Choose the Right Tortillas: Select one that fits comfortably in your air fryer basket or tray. Smaller tortillas work well for individual servings, while larger ones are ideal for sharing.
- Lightly Coat with Cooking Spray: Lightly spray both sides of the quesadilla with cooking spray to help achieve a crispy, golden-brown exterior without excessive oil.
- Flip Halfway Through: Flip the quesadilla halfway through the cooking time to ensure both sides are evenly browned and crispy.
- Monitor Doneness: Keep a close eye on the quesadilla as it cooks, as cooking times can vary depending on your air fryer model and the thickness of the quesadilla. Remove it when it reaches your desired level of crispiness.
- Rest Before Slicing: Allow the quesadilla to rest for a minute after removing it from the air fryer. This helps the cheese set and makes slicing easier.
- Customize to Taste: Customize your quesadilla with your favorite toppings, seasonings, and dipping sauces to suit your taste preferences.
Following these pro tips, you’ll create a delicious Air Fryer Chicken Quesadilla that is crispy, cheesy, flavorful, and perfect for fast dinners.
Can I use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas?
While flour tortillas are commonly used for quesadillas, you can use corn tortillas. Remember that corn tortillas may result in a slightly different texture and flavor.
How do I prevent the tortillas from becoming soggy?
To prevent soggy quesadillas, it’s essential to use pre-cooked and well-drained ingredients, especially when using vegetables. Also, avoid overloading the quesadilla with fillings, as excess moisture can lead to sogginess.
What’s the best way to reheat leftover quesadillas?
To reheat leftover quesadillas, place them in the air fryer at a lower temperature (around 350°F or 175°C) for a few minutes until they are heated and the tortilla becomes crispy again.
Can I make quesadillas with a different protein, like ground beef or shrimp?
Yes, you can use different proteins like ground beef, ground turkey, shrimp, or even vegetarian options like beans or tofu to fill your quesadillas.
How do I prevent the tortilla from sticking to the air fryer basket or tray?
To prevent sticking, lightly coat both sides of the quesadilla with cooking spray or a small amount of oil before placing it in the air fryer.
Can I make quesadillas with whole wheat or gluten-free tortillas?
Yes, you can use whole wheat or gluten-free tortillas to accommodate dietary preferences or restrictions. Adjust the cooking time as needed.
What dipping sauces pair well with chicken quesadillas?
Popular dipping sauces include salsa, guacamole, sour cream, quesadilla sauce, or a combination of sour cream and hot sauce for added flavor.
How do I store leftover quesadillas?
Let the tortillas cool to room temperature before storing them. Store leftover quesadillas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a few days. To maintain their crispiness, consider reheating them in the air fryer when ready to enjoy.
Can I freeze quesadillas for later use?
Ys, you can freeze quesadillas. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap or foil and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Reheat them in the air fryer or oven when needed.
Can I use different cheese varieties in my quesadillas?– Absolutely! You can experiment with various cheese varieties like pepper jack, Mexican cheese blend, chihuahua cheese, quesadilla cheese, mozzarella, cheddar cheese, or Swiss to create unique flavor profiles for your quesadillas.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Chicken Quesadillas
- 2 cups chicken, cooked, shredded or diced
- 2 cups mexican cheese, shredded
- 1 cup bell peppers, cooked
- 1/2 cup onions, cooked
- 6 tortillas, corn or flour
- Toppings of your choice
- Lay down a tortilla, top with diced/shredded chicken, shredded cheese, peppers, and onions.
- Place another tortilla on top of the fillings, and spray with cooking spray.
- Add toothpicks to the tortilla. Just scatter them out. Set the quesadilla into the air fryer basket, and set the temperature to 360 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 4-6 minutes.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional
Some Helpful Products Used While Making Air Fryer Chicken Quesadilla–
|Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.|
Do Not Forget To Pin-
Can I use uncooked chicken in the air fryer for chicken quesadillas?
It is recommended to use pre-cooked chicken in chicken quesadillas when using an air fryer. This ensures that the chicken is thoroughly cooked and safe to consume. You can use leftover cooked chicken or cook chicken specifically for the quesadillas before assembling them.
How long does it take to cook chicken quesadillas in an air fryer?
The cooking time can vary depending on the brand and model of the air fryer. In general, chicken quesadillas take about 5-8 minutes in an air fryer set to a temperature of around 400°F (200°C). Keep an eye on the quesadillas and adjust the cooking time as needed to achieve your desired level of crispness and melty cheese.
Can I use flour tortillas or corn tortillas for chicken quesadillas in the air fryer?
Both flour tortillas and corn tortillas can be used for chicken quesadillas in the air fryer. It depends on your preference and the texture you prefer. Flour tortillas tend to become softer and more pliable when cooked, while corn tortillas can become crispy. Experiment with both options to find your preferred texture.
Can I add vegetables or other ingredients to chicken quesadillas in the air fryer?
Absolutely! You can add a variety of ingredients to your chicken quesadillas to enhance the flavor and texture. Common additions include sautéed bell peppers and onions, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, or sliced jalapeños. Just ensure that any added ingredients are cooked or prepped appropriately before assembling the quesadillas.
Do I need to flip the quesadillas during cooking in the air fryer?
Flipping the quesadillas during cooking is not necessary in an air fryer. The hot air circulation within the air fryer helps cook the quesadillas evenly from all sides. However, if you prefer a slightly more crispy texture on both sides, you can flip them halfway through the cooking time.
Can I reheat leftover chicken quesadillas in the air fryer?
Yes, you can use the air fryer to reheat leftover chicken quesadillas. Simply preheat the air fryer to a lower temperature (around 300°F or 150°C) and place the quesadillas inside for a few minutes until heated through. Keep an eye on them to prevent overcooking.