There is nothing better than a plate of cookies for dessert. Today, while cleaning my kitchen up, I made a plate of Air Fryer Mexican Wedding Cookies for my family!
They are amazing! If you have not made cookies in your Air Fryer, you are truly missing out.
Light, tender, and buttery are how I would describe these cookies. The other name that they go by is Russian Tea Cakes! Whatever you call them, I hope you can make up a batch for your family soon.
If you are looking for some great Air Fryer Cookie Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER COPYCAT DOUBLETREE COOKIES, AIR FRYER 2 INGREDIENT OREO MUG CAKE, AIR FRYER EASTER BASKET COOKIE CUPS, and AIR FRYER BREAKFAST COOKIES.
What Are Mexican Cookies?
Mexican Cookies or Russian Tea Cakes are one of the simplest cookie recipes, traditionally prepared with flour, water, butter, and ground nuts.
Their signature is that they are rolled in powdered sugar after baked, and then again once the cookies have cooled down.
Because they are often served at weddings in both the United States and Mexico, they started being referred to as Mexican Wedding Cookies.
Ingredients In Air Fryer Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Powdered Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Almond Extract
- Granulated Sugar
- All-Purpose Flour
Note Detailed Instructions and Ingredients Are Found At The End Of The Page–Keep Scrolling.
How To Make Air Fryer Mexican Wedding Cookies
Start by mixing the powdered sugar, salt, and butter in a large mixing bowl. Mix until the butter and sugar have creamed together, this will make for a lighter cookie.
Then mix in the vanilla extra, almond extract, sugar, flour, and pecans. Mix well.
Then spray your air fryer tray, or line the basket with parchment paper. Use about a tablespoon of batter to make a round ball and then pat it somewhat down.
Set in the air fryer oven/basket and set the temperature to 340 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 5 minutes.
Immediately while the cookies are still hot, roll in powdered sugar. Then once the cookies cool down, roll in powdered sugar.
Pro Tips For Making The Best Batch of Air Fryer Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Diced pecans are the best option to use in this recipe, as they will mix nicely with the dough.
- Cold butter will work better in this recipe, or you can even use frozen butter that you grate.
- Roll once while the cookies are warm and again when the cookies have cooled down.
- For best results, either uses parchment paper or cookie liners for your Air Fryer Basket.
- Remember, the cookies will harden as they cool down, so be careful not to overbake them.
How To Store Mexican Wedding Cookies
This is a great cookie that you can make ahead of time as they store very well.
To store, let them cool to room temperature, and then place them into a resealable plastic bag. They will keep well at room temperature for about 3 to 4 days.
How To Freeze These Cookies
You can easily freeze these cookies, which is great if you want to double or triple the batch. I would hold off on rolling them in the powdered sugar until the cookies are thawed, but otherwise, follow the recipe below and then let them cool.
Place them on a greased baking sheet, and then place them into the freezer until the cookies are frozen solid. THen take the cookies off and place them into a freezer bag or an airtight container. They will last in the freezer for about 1 to 2 months.
To use from frozen, let them thaw and roll them in powdered sugar right before serving.
While the recipe below is a classic recipe, a lot of adaptions over the years have occurred, some of my recommendations are:
- Sliced almonds or walnuts
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Reeses Kisses
- Diced Candy Bars
- Ground Cinnamon in the coating.
More Air Fryer Cookie Recipes
Don’t Forget To Pin-
Air Fryer Mexican Wedding Cookie
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/3 cup cold or frozen butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup diced pecans
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar for Coating
- Start by mixing the powdered sugar, salt, and butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix until the butter and sugar have creamed together. This will make for a lighter cookie.
- Then mix in the vanilla extract, almond extract, sugar, flour, and pecans. Mix well.
- Then spray your tray or line your air fryer with cookie sheets or parchment paper.
- Use about a tablespoon of batter to make a round ball and then pat it somewhat down.
- Set in the air fryer oven/basket and set the temperature to 340 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 5 minutes.
- Roll in the powdered sugar as soon as you take the cookies out.
- Then roll in again as the cookies are cooled down.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Parchment Paper