Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles— There is nothing better for a quick dinner than this homemade Air Fyre chicken and waffles Recipe! Air Fried Buttermilk Fried Chicken is on top of a pile of fluffy waffles. What is better?
Indulge in the perfect blend of Southern comfort food right in your kitchen with this Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles recipe! This dish is a delightful fusion of savory and sweet, combining crispy, golden air-fried chicken with fluffy, warm waffles.
Ideal for those who love a hearty breakfast, brunch, or even a unique dinner option, this recipe simplifies the classic dish without compromising taste. The air fryer ensures your chicken is perfectly cooked with a deliciously crispy exterior, while the waffles can be homemade or from your favorite mix. Enjoy this mouth-watering combination that will please both chicken and waffle enthusiasts alike!
Why You Will Love Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles!
You’ll love this Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles recipe for several compelling reasons:
- Perfect Crispiness: The air fryer excels at cooking the chicken to a perfect crispy texture, giving you that delightful crunch with every bite without the heaviness of traditional frying.
- Healthier Option: Air frying chicken uses significantly less oil than deep frying, making this a healthier take on classic comfort food.
- Quick and Convenient: Unlike traditional frying methods, the air fryer speeds up the cooking process, allowing you to enjoy this indulgent meal in less time.
- Flavorful and Versatile: The combination of savory, spiced chicken with sweet, fluffy waffles creates a beautiful balance of flavors that can be further enhanced with syrups, hot sauce, or your choice of toppings.
- Perfect for Any Meal: Whether craving a hearty breakfast, a fun brunch, or a comforting dinner, chicken and waffles are versatile enough to fit any mealtime. This is true comfort food that the whole family will love!
- Easy Cleanup: The air fryer makes cleanup a breeze with less oil splatter and mess than traditional frying methods.
- Consistency: The air fryer provides consistent heat, ensuring that each piece of chicken is cooked evenly, eliminating the guesswork and potential for undercooked or overly crispy spots.
- Enjoyable for Everyone: This dish is a crowd-pleaser, delighting kids and adults alike with its unique and delicious combination of flavors and textures.
In summary, Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles offer a delightful mix of ease, healthiness, and taste, making it a must-try for anyone looking for a new twist on traditional Southern cuisine.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Chicken And Waffles
Indulge in the classic combination of chicken and waffles with this easy-to-follow Air Fryer recipe. Each ingredient plays a crucial role in creating a comforting and flavorful meal.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Buttermilk: The base of the marinade, buttermilk tenderizes the chicken, ensuring it’s juicy and flavorful.
- Kosher Salt: Enhances the chicken’s natural flavor and balances the buttermilk’s tanginess.
- Black Pepper: Add subtle heat and depth to the marinade.
- Hot Sauce (Optional): For those who like a kick, hot sauce infuses the chicken with a spicy, tangy flavor.
Flour (Dredging) Mixture:
- All-Purpose Flour: The primary coating for the chicken, giving it a crispy exterior once air-fried.
- Cornstarch: Helps to create a lighter, crisper crust.
- Seasonings and Spices: Salt, Paprika, Onion Powder, Dried Basil, White Pepper, Garlic Powder, Dried Oregano, and Cayenne Pepper: This blend of spices and herbs adds a complex and savory flavor profile to the chicken.
Homemade Air Fryer Waffles:
- Buttermilk Waffle Mix: The foundation for easy, homemade waffles – follow the specific instructions on your waffle batter mix for the perfect waffles.
Frozen Air Fryer Waffles:
- Frozen Waffles: A convenient option for those short on time, ensuring you can still enjoy delicious waffles without the prep.
- Chicken Tenders, Chicken Breast, Chicken Thighs, or Chicken Legs: These cuts are ideal for air frying, offering juicy, flavorful meat that pairs perfectly with the waffles.
By assembling these ingredients, you’re set to create an irresistible Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles dish that combines crispy, savory chicken with sweet, fluffy waffles – a true delight for any meal of the day.
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken And Waffles
Making Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles is a delightful process that combines the crispy, savory goodness of chicken with the sweet, comforting taste of waffles. Here’s how to do it:
In a small bowl, mix all of the spices. Add the olive oil to the spice mixture. Dry the pieces of chicken with a paper towel.
Use your hands and rub the spices and olive oil into the piece of chicken. Mix the flour, baking powder, cornstarch, salt, and pepper in another small mixing bowl. (about a teaspoon each)
In the third bowl, make your buttermilk brine; add the eggs, hot sauce, water, and buttermilk. Mix well. Dredge the chicken into the flour mixture, and use your hands to coat the chicken.
Then, shake the excess off. Soak the chicken in the buttermilk mixture. Then recoat it in the flour mixture. Spray your basket with olive oil spray. As you coat the chicken for the second time, place it in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Then GENEROUSLY spray the chicken with olive oil (this helps it crisp up). Set the air fryer temperature to 350 degrees F and set cook time for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Making the Waffles. Prepare Waffle Batter: If making homemade waffles, prepare the mix according to the instructions. For frozen waffles, you can skip this step.
Cook the Waffles: Cook the waffles in the waffle maker or waffle iron until golden brown and crispy. If using frozen waffles, you can warm them up in the air fryer for a few minutes for added crispiness.
Assemble and Serve. Serve: Place a waffle on each plate, top with a piece of crispy chicken, and serve with your favorite waffle toppings like pure maple syrup, sweet maple syrup, butter, or powdered sugar.
Experimenting with different Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles variations can bring new flavors and excitement to this classic dish. Here are some creative ideas:
- Spicy Chicken and Waffles: Add extra heat to your chicken by including more cayenne pepper or chili powder in the dredging mixture. For an added kick, you can also drizzle spicy honey or hot sauce over the finished dish.
- BBQ Chicken and Waffles: Brush your air-fried chicken with barbecue sauce in the last few minutes of cooking for a sweet and tangy twist.
- Herb-Infused Chicken: Mix dried herbs like thyme, rosemary, or sage into your flour mixture for a fragrant and flavorful crust.
- Sweet and Savory Waffles: Add grated cheese and chopped chives or green onions to your waffle batter for a savory twist, or mix in some cinnamon and sugar for a sweeter waffle.
- Gluten-Free Version: Use gluten-free flour and a gluten-free waffle mix to cater to those with dietary restrictions.
- Buttermilk Ranch Chicken: Incorporate buttermilk ranch seasoning into your flour mixture for a creamy, tangy flavor profile.
- Bacon Waffles: Add cooked, crumbled bacon into your waffle batter for a smoky, savory element.
- Lemon Pepper Chicken: Season your chicken with lemon pepper for a zesty, tangy twist.
- Cornmeal Waffles: Substitute some of the flour in your waffle mix with cornmeal for a different texture and a slight sweetness.
- Chicken Tenders and Mini Waffles: For a fun, bite-sized version, use chicken tenders instead of whole pieces and cook mini waffles, perfect for party appetizers or small snacks.
These variations allow you to customize Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles to suit any taste preference, making it a versatile dish for any occasion.
Creating the perfect Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles involves a few pro tips to ensure the best results every time:
- Marinate for Flavor and Tenderness: Allow the chicken to marinate in buttermilk for at least 30 minutes or overnight. This tenderizes the chicken and infuses it with flavor.
- Ensure Even Coating: When dredging the chicken in the flour mixture, ensure each piece is evenly coated for a uniform, crispy crust.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Always preheat the air fryer before adding your chicken. This helps achieve a crispy exterior and evenly cooked interior.
- Avoid Overcrowding: Cook the chicken in batches if necessary. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking and a less crispy texture.
- Flip the Chicken: Halfway through cooking, flip the chicken pieces to ensure they brown evenly on both sides.
- Rest the Chicken: After cooking, the chicken rests for a few minutes. This allows the juices to be redistributed, resulting in juicier meat.
- Waffle Batter Consistency: Follow the waffle mix instructions carefully for the best results. The batter should be smooth but not too runny.
- Customize Waffle Flavor: Feel free to add ingredients to your waffle batter, like vanilla extract for sweetness or herbs for a savory twist.
- Keep Waffles Warm: If you’re making multiple waffles, keep them warm in a low oven while cooking the rest.
- Serve Immediately: Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles are best enjoyed fresh. Serve them hot with your favorite syrups, sauces, or toppings.
Following these tips, you’ll elevate your Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles to a deliciously memorable meal, perfect for any time of the day.
What’s the best type of chicken to use for chicken and waffles? Boneless chicken thighs or breasts are commonly used for their tenderness and ease of eating with waffles. Thighs are often preferred for their juiciness. For a quick opinion, you can use chicken breasts or chicken tenders.
Can I make chicken and waffles ahead of time? It’s best served fresh. However, you can cook the chicken ahead of time and reheat it in the air fryer. Wrap the chicken tightly in plastic wrap or place it into an airtight container after it’s cooled to room temperature. Waffles can be made ahead and warmed in a toaster or oven.
How do I prevent my waffles from becoming soggy? Serve the chicken and waffles immediately after cooking. Placing the chicken on a wire rack before serving can also help reduce sogginess.
Can I use store-bought waffle mix for this recipe? Yes, store-bought or Belgian waffle mix is convenient and effective for making quick and tasty waffles.
What toppings go well with chicken and waffles? Maple syrup, honey, hot sauce, powdered sugar, or fruit are popular toppings. You can also add whipped cream for a decadent touch.
Can I make chicken and waffles in a regular oven if I don’t have an air fryer? Yes, you can bake or fry the chicken in a regular oven. Spray the baking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray, and then place the coated chicken on a baking tray. Adjust cooking times and temperatures accordingly.
How do I know when the chicken is fully cooked? The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C). Use a meat thermometer to check.
Is it possible to make a gluten-free version of chicken and waffles? Yes, use gluten-free flour for the chicken coating and a gluten-free waffle mix.
Can I freeze leftover chicken and waffles? Yes, both can be frozen separately. Reheat in the air fryer or oven for best results.
How can I make my chicken extra crispy? Ensure the chicken is well-coated with the flour mixture and the preheated air fryer. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket to allow proper air circulation.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Croque Madame Sandwiches
- Air Fryer Eggs Benedict
- The Easiest Air Fryer Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Don’t Forget To Pin!
Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tablespons hot sauce, optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Ingredients Needed For Homemade Air Fryer Waffles
- 2 cups Waffle Batter
Ingredients For the Mix–Per your mix, every box is different
Ingredients Needed For Frozen Air Fryer Waffles
- 1 package frozen waffles
Ingredients Needed For Chicken:
- pound chicken, thighs or legs
How to Prepare Fried Chicken:
- In a small bowl, mix all of the spices.
- Add the olive oil into the spice mixture.
- Use your hands and rub the spices and olive oil into the chicken.
- In another small mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. (about a teaspoon each)
- Then in another mixing bowl, add the eggs, hot sauce, water, and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Dredge the chicken into the flour mixture, use your hands to really coat the chicken.
- Then shake the excess off.
- Soak the chicken in the buttermilk mixture.
- Then recoat it in the flour mixture
- Spray your basket with olive oil spray.
- As you coat the chicken for the second time, place it in the air fryer basket.
- Then GENEROUSLY spray the chicken with olive oil (this helps it crisp up)
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
How to Prepare Air Fryer Homemade Waffles
- Start by making your waffle mix, as directed on the box.
- Then spray your mold with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil spray.
- Fill your mold (I found it easier after my 1st batch) to put the mold directly on the baking sheet, so it wouldn’t spill while moving it.
- Put the tray into the air fryer oven, and set the temperature to 330 degrees F for 4 minutes. After 4 minutes, check and add about 3-4 minutes more.
How to Prepare Air Fryer Homemade Waffles
- Start by placing your frozen waffles into the air fryer.
- Use a pastry brush and spread the melted butter over the frozen waffles.
- Set them into the air fryer and set the temperature to 350 degrees for 4-6 minutes. (air fryer setting)
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional