Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles is the perfect combination of sweet and savory. The Air Fryer creates a crispy exterior on the chicken while leaving the inside juicy and tender. The waffles are light and fluffy, with just a hint of sweetness. It’s a delicious twist on traditional fried chicken and waffles, with fewer calories and less mess. The Air Fryer also makes clean-up easy, allowing you to enjoy this tasty meal without the hassle of deep frying. Whether it’s for a decadent brunch or a fun weeknight dinner, Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles are sure to satisfy any craving.
Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles is a fun twist on the traditional Southern dish. Instead of the usual fried chicken, Air Fryer Chicken gives a crispy texture without all the added grease. Pair it with a warm Belgian waffle for the perfect combination of savory and sweet. The Air Fryer not only cuts down on calories but also reduces cooking time and cleanup. Plus, with an Air Fryer, there’s no need to heat up the kitchen with a hot oil bath. Experiment with different spices or toppings to make this dish your own. Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles is sure to become a new favorite in your weekly menu rotation.
What Are Chicken And Waffles?
Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles is the perfect combination of sweet and savory. The Air Fryer creates a crispy exterior on the chicken while leaving the inside juicy and tender. The waffles are light and fluffy, with just a hint of sweetness.
It’s a delicious twist on traditional fried chicken and waffles, with fewer calories and less mess. The Air Fryer also makes clean-up easy, allowing you to enjoy this tasty meal without the hassle of deep frying. Whether it’s for a decadent brunch or a fun weeknight dinner, Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles are sure to satisfy any craving.
Why You Will Love Making Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles!
Why go to a restaurant when you can make delicious and crispy chicken and waffles right at home in your air fryer? The hot circulating air cooks the chicken, resulting in juicy meat on the inside and a crunchy coating on the outside. And there’s no need to waste time flipping or turning the chicken during cooking since the air fryer evenly distributes heat. Plus, with little to no added oil, it’s a healthier alternative to traditional frying methods. And let’s not forget about those golden waffles – just pop them in for a few minutes before serving warm and crispy alongside your perfectly cooked chicken. Why spend money dining out when you can have homemade air fryer chicken and waffles that are just as tasty (if not tastier!) at home? Give it a try – we promise you won’t be disappointed.
This is the ultimate comfort food! And true Soul Food!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles
When it comes to making a tasty and unique dish like air fryer chicken and waffles, there are a few important ingredients to have on hand!
Remember: The full instructions and details are below in the recipe card below.
- Chicken Thighs and Legs: Use any of your favorite chicken parts. This is classic with chicken thighs or chicken legs, but you can use chicken breasts or chicken tenders.
- Oil: Use any high-heat oil, such as avocado oil, coconut oil, peanut oil, olive oil, or grapeseed oil.
- All-Purpose Flour: You can also use gluten-free all-purpose flour if you want to make this dish gluten-free.
- Baking Powder: Make sure you use fresh baking powder.
- Cornstarch: This will help keep the coating on the chicken!
- Buttermilk: Nothing is better for tender chicken than buttermilk, soaking it helps bring out the flavor.
- Hot Sauce: Adds a little spice.
- Eggs: Use large, room temperature eggs.
- Waffles: Either homemade waffles or frozen waffles!
- Seasonings: Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, White Pepper, Thyme, Basil, Oregano, Celery Salt, Paprika, Onion Powder
- Serve With: Maple syrup, spicy sauce, or sweet syrup.
How To Make Chicken and Waffles In Air Fryer
In a small bowl, mix all of the spices. Add the olive oil to the spice mixture. Dry the pieces of chicken with a paper towel. Then using your hands and rub the spices and olive oil into the piece of chicken. In another small mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. (about a teaspoon each)
In the third bowl, make your buttermilk brine, add the eggs, hot sauce, water, and buttermilk. Mix well. Dredge the chicken into the flour mixture, and use your hands to really coat the chicken.
Then shake the excess off. Soak the chicken in the buttermilk mixture. Then recoat it in the flour mixture. Spray your basket with olive oil spray. As you coat the chicken for the second time, place it in the air fryer basket, in a single layer.
Then GENEROUSLY spray the chicken with olive oil (this helps it crisp up) Set the temperature to 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Pro Tips For The Best Best Chicken And Waffles Air Fryer
If you’ve been on the hunt for the best chicken and waffles in your air fryer, look no further
- Dry Your Chicken First: First, make sure you pat the chicken thoroughly with paper towels before coating it in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper, and your favorite seasonings. This will help create a deliciously crispy crust!
- Spray Your Chicken: Spray or brush the chicken with oil to further enhance the crispiness
- Timing: Be sure to check the internal temperature of your chicken with a meat thermometer to ensure it is at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Crowding: One of the biggest mistakes people make when making chicken and waffles in an air fryer is crowding the basket. This can cause uneven cooking and steaming instead of crisping. Allow enough room for hot air to circulate around each piece, and consider cooking in batches if you have a lot of chicken to cook.
- Seasoning: If you want to add some heat or spice add some garlic powder, cayenne pepper, or black pepper!
What Waffles Will Go Well with Southern Comfort Food
When it comes to pairing waffles with a Southern comfort food spread, homemade buttermilk waffles are a clear choice. Their crispy exterior and fluffy waffles interior provide the perfect base for fried chicken and gravy, shrimp and grits, or even a classic breakfast plate with bacon and eggs.
You can also use Belgian waffles or our favorite waffle recipe! This is a great recipe where you can use all of your leftover waffles! Of course, it’s a great reason to get your own waffle maker! Who doesn’t love kitchen gadgets?
How To Store Leftover Southern Chicken
The best way to store leftover southern chicken is by first allowing it to cool completely, on a wire rack. Place the chicken into an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to three to four days. You can also freeze the chicken for longer storage, making sure to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil before placing it in a freezer-safe container or bag. When ready to eat, thaw the chicken in the fridge overnight before reheating thoroughly in the oven or on the stovetop. Enjoy your delicious southern leftovers! Just be sure not to leave them sitting out at room temperature for too long as this can increase bacterial growth and potential foodborne illness. Always follow proper food handling guidelines for maintaining safe and tasty leftovers.
What Dishes Go With Chicken and Waffles?
Here are some great dishes that I love to serve along with my homemade air fryer chicken and waffle meal.
- Air Fryer Jiffy Cornbread
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Casserole
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Instant Pot Collard Greens
Want Some Other Great Air Fryer Brunch Recipes?
- Air Fryer Croque Madame Sandwiches
- Air Fryer Eggs Benedict
- The Easiest Air Fryer Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles Chicken is a classic southern dish since it’s the weekend. I surprised my family with this classical meal because everyone can use a Saturday Night Fried Chicken Feast.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 tablespons hot sauce optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups Waffle Mix
- 1 package frozen waffles
In a small bowl, mix all of the spices.
Add the olive oil into the spice mixture.
Use your hands and rub the spices and olive oil into the chicken.
In another small mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. (about a teaspoon each)
Then in another mixing bowl, add the eggs, hot sauce, water, and buttermilk. Mix well.
Dredge the chicken into the flour mixture, use your hands to really coat the chicken.
Then shake the excess off.
Soak the chicken in the buttermilk mixture.
Then recoat it in the flour mixture
Spray your basket with olive oil spray.
As you coat the chicken for the second time, place it in the air fryer basket.
Then GENEROUSLY spray the chicken with olive oil (this helps it crisp up)
Set the temperature to 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
Start by making your waffle mix, as directed on the box.
Then spray your mold with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil spray.
Fill your mold (I found it easier after my 1st batch) to put the mold directly on the baking sheet, so it wouldn’t spill while moving it.
Put the tray into the air fryer oven, and set the temperature to 330 degrees F for 4 minutes. After 4 minutes, check and add about 3-4 minutes more.
Start by placing your frozen waffles into the air fryer.
Use a pastry brush and spread the melted butter over the frozen waffles.
Set them into the air fryer and set the temperature to 350 degrees for 4-6 minutes. (air fryer setting)
Plate, serve, and enjoy!