Nothing is as cozy or comforting as the smell of homemade apple butter simmering on the stove all day. But when time is in short supply, that’s not always possible! That’s why you should put your Instant Pot to work for you and make this delicious apple butter recipe that comes together quickly.
We’ll walk through each step so you can whip up a batch of creamy, spiced-up applesauce in just minutes – no hours needed! In addition, we’ll share some fun ideas for how to use it in recipes and around your home. Get ready to spread over toast, add to oatmeal bowls….or even do crafts with kids! So let’s get cooking – here’s everything you need to know about making delicious Apple Butter right at home using an Instant Pot.
f you’re looking for a delicious way to use up excess apples, let me introduce you to the most flavorful and scrumptious apple butter. Making your apple butter from scratch is surprisingly easy if you have an Instant Pot on hand–plus, it only takes about 20 minutes of active cooking time!
There are many ways to enjoy this classic Fall treat, whether spread onto morning toast, stirred into oatmeal or yogurt, folded into pancake batter, or enjoyed straight out of the jar. The best part? You can enjoy that sweet burst of apple flavor long after the leaves have fallen off the trees as homemade Instant Pot Apple Butter will stay fresh for up to three months when stored in airtight containers in a cool, dark place!
Instant Pot Apple Butter
Instant Pot Apple Butter is an incredibly delicious and easy-to-make treat that can be enjoyed year-round. Made with only a few simple ingredients, this apple butter is flavorful. The combination of apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg creates a sweet and spiced spread that is perfect for toast, muffins, or just eaten on its own.
Making your Instant Pot, Apple Butter requires just a few simple steps; if you are new to pressure cooking, this Instant Pot Apple Butter Recipe is a perfect place to start your adventure!
Why Cook Apple Butter In Your Pressure Cooker
This ready is perfect after an apple harvest, it’s a great recipe, and you can make the best apple butter in your Instant Pot!
Cooking apple butter in your pressure cooker is one of the quickest and easiest ways to enjoy the taste and texture of homemade apple butter. It’s also a great way to use ripe apples that are getting ready to go bad. The pressure cooking process helps break down the apples into a smooth, spreadable consistency with no added sugar. In addition, the apples’ natural flavor is intensified while cooking in a pressure cooker, adding an extra depth of flavor to your finished product.
This might be the best Instant Pot Recipe, using your fresh apples!
Ingredients Needed For Apple Butter Instant Pot
Have you ever longed for homemade apple butter’s warm, cozy flavor but don’t have the time or energy to make it from scratch? If so, making apple butter in an Instant Pot might be precisely what you need! This recipe is a great way to get all the flavors of refined-sugar-free and flavorful homemade apple butter without hours of stirring over a stove. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create this fantastic fall condiment that will take your toast game to the next level!
Remember the step-by-step directions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Apples: The best type of apple is a mix of apples or apple varieties.
- Granulated Sugar: You can also use dark brown sugar for sweet apple sauce.
- Water: Helps you get smooth apple butter.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Adds some sweetness to the apple butter.
- Seasonings and Spices: Ground Cinnamon, Ground Cloves, Ground Allspice, and Ground Nutmeg.
How To Make Apples Butter In Instant Pot
Apple butter is a delicious treat that can be used for many things! It is a versatile spread, perfect to put on toast or muffins, between cake layers, stirred into oatmeal, and even as an addition to your favorite smoothie. And making apple butter in an Instant Pot makes this simple classic even easier with minimal effort. Below, you will find out how to make apple butter in the Instant Pot quickly and easily, with an incredible amount of flavor packed inside each bite. Plus, tips on what type of apple to pick and extras that add extra yummy goodness.
Step One: Add Ingredients To your Pressure Cooker
Peel your apples, then dispose of the apple peels. Combine all ingredients to the bottom of the pot of the Instant Pot and stir well. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
Step Two: Bring Your Pressure Cooker To High Pressure
Lock the lid and set it on high (manual) pressure for 30 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then carefully and quickly release any remaining pressure. Carefully remove the lid (it may be hot)
Step Three: Blend The Apples
Use an immersion blender to blend the cooked apples until the texture is smooth.
Step Four: Saute The Apples
Set to saute function and simmer for 20–25 minutes or until apple butter reaches desired consistency, stirring frequently. Use a splatter guard to reduce splattering while the apple butter is cooking to reduce the likelihood of burns or injury. Let the apple butter cool to room temperature, and then spoon apple butter into half-pint containers or mason jars.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, the hot apple mixture can be blended carefully in batches using a food processor or regular blender.
Best Apples For Apple Butter
It is important to use different types of apples to make the best apple butter. Many varieties of apples can be used for apple butter, but some are better than others due to their higher sugar content and sweeter flavor. The most popular types of apples for making apple butter include: I love apple picking with my family and grabbing some fresh apples. So, when apple season starts, you can use tart apples or sweet apples; a mixture of apples works well as well:
1. Granny Smith Apples – Granny Smith apples are tart and firm, with bright green skin. They have a high sugar content, making them ideal for apple butter recipes.
2. Honeycrisp Apples – Honeycrisp apples are sweet and slightly crisp when cooked into apple butter. The bright red skin and juicy flesh make them perfect for sweet, delicious apple butter.
3. Golden Delicious Apples – Golden Delicious apples are an aromatic variety with a sweet-tart flavor. They have a mellow sweetness that is perfect for adding richness to apple butter recipes.
4. Rome Apples – Rome apples are firm and tart with creamy white flesh and a sweet taste. They are a great choice for apple butter as they hold their shape and texture when cooked.
Choosing the suitable apples for your apple butter recipe is essential, and using one of these varieties will ensure the best results. Be sure to pick ripe apples with no signs of rot or bruises, which can add an off-taste to the finished product. When prepping your apples, cut them into small pieces and remove any seeds or stems before cooking.
How To Season Pressure Cooker Apple Butter
Apple butter is a classic spread made by slowly cooking apples until they are thick and creamy. It’s easy to add sweetness and flavor to sandwiches, toast, or pancakes. Try seasoning it with spices to make your apple butter even more delicious.
- Seasonings and Spices: You can use any combination of spices you like for seasoning apple butter, but some of the most popular include pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and allspice. Start by adding a teaspoon or two of your favorite spices to the apple butter while cooking. For a bolder flavor, add more warm spices as needed.
- Flavors: If you’re looking for more subtle flavors, try adding brown sugar, a whole cinnamon stick, or a pinch of salt. You can add a splash of apple juice, vanilla extract, maple syrup, or lemon juice for extra depth and complexity. When the apple butter is done cooking, taste it and adjust the seasoning as needed.
How To Store Apple Butter
When it comes to storing apple butter, there are a few tips and tricks that can help extend its shelf life. Properly stored, it should last for up to four weeks in the refrigerator or six months in the freezer.
Before you begin, ensure your containers are clean and sterile to prevent bacteria growth. Glass jars with lids are the best choice for storing apple butter in the refrigerator. Fill the jar nearly to the top, leaving a little space at the top of the jar for expansion during freezing. Place a lid on the container and seal it tightly before placing it in the fridge.
You can freeze your apple butter in a freezer-safe container for longer-term storage. Make sure to fill the containers with enough apple butter, so there is very little air left. This will help to prevent freezer burn and spoilage during storage. Label your containers with the date of preparation and freeze them for up to six months.
These make for a great gift and housewarming idea!
What To Serve With A Jar of Apple Butter
Apple butter is the perfect accompaniment to a wide range of culinary options. It’s great for spreading on toast, muffins, scones, other baked goods, and oatmeal or pancakes. It can also be used in savory dishes such as pork chops and roasted vegetables. Here are some of the best things to serve with apple butter:
- Porridge or Oats – Porridge, oatmeal, and other hot cereals are all great options to serve with apple butter. Try stirring a spoonful of the spread into your oats before you heat them up for an extra hint of sweetness. You can also use it as a topping over cold cereal as well!
- Baked Goods – Apple butter is a great way to add flavor and moisture to your favorite baked goods. Try adding it to muffins, scones, or pancakes for extra flavor, or use it as a filling between two cake layers. You can also spread it on toast or biscuits for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
- Cheese – Cheese and apple butter make a surprisingly delicious combination. Try spreading it on top of slices of sharp cheddar or brie for a sweet and savory snack. You can also use it as a cheese dip or fondue base!
- Soups and Sandwiches – Apple butter is the perfect way to add a bit of sweetness to savory dishes. Try stirring it into soups or stews for added richness, or use it as a condiment on sandwiches and wraps. You can also spread it on top of hamburgers or hot dogs before serving!
These are just some of the many things you can serve with apple butter.
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you are new to using your electric pressure cooker, here are some of my favorite recipes!
- Instant Pot Homemade Applesauce
- INSTANT POT SWEET POTATO PUDDING
- EASY INSTANT POT COPYCAT BISTRO PANERA FRENCH ONION SOUP
- INSTANT POT PANERA CREAMY TOMATO SOUP COPYCAT RECIPE
- INSTANT POT BLUEBERRY CAKE
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Instant Pot Apple Butter
- 4 pounds apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in the inner pot in Instant Pot and stir well.
- Lock the lid in place and set it on high (manual) pressure for 30 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then carefully quick release any remaining pressure. Carefully remove the lid (it may be hot)
- Use an immersion blender to blend the cooked apple mixture until the texture is smooth.
- Set to sauté and simmer for 20–25 minutes or until apple butter reaches desired consistency, stirring frequently. Use a splatter screen to reduce splattering while the apple butter is cooking to reduce the likelihood of burns or injury
- Spoon apple butter into half-pint containers.
- Instant Pot
- Pint Jars