Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken Kebabs — This is one of my favorite chicken dishes, and it’s such a great and fun recipe, especially with the summer coming! Today, I am giving you my delicious, spicy, and juicy chicken recipes for Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken Kebabs.
If you have been looking for an easy recipe, this one is so easy; it’s foolproof. I recommend anyone new to air frying try it; they will be hooked on air frying forever!
So, forget the grill. By the time the grill heats up, you can be sitting down to dinner. Like traditional oven-baked or grilled tandoori chicken, it’s tossed with Greek yogurt’s signature flavors and the same Indian spices.
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Chicken Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER HONEY BBQ CHICKEN TENDERS, AIR FRYER GENERAL TSO’S CHICKEN RECIPE, and AIR FRYER HONEY BBQ CHICKEN WINGS.
What Is Tandoori Chicken Skewers
Tandoori chicken is a chicken usually cooked in a clay pot called a Tandoor clay oven, which is how the name originated.
We gave given up the clay ovens eons ago, and along with the new cooking methods, we have the Instant Pot and, of course, the Air Fryer.
Whether they are drumsticks, chicken breasts, or chicken legs, chicken pieces are marinated in a Greek Yogurt and Spice Mixture and sometimes red dye. The red dye is usually used to get the red hue on the chicken that the chicken is known for.
Since I am not a massive fan of giving my kids food dyes and did not have any of the natural food dyes in my house, I skipped that ingredient. Still, if you want to add it for the bright red color, you can order these Natural Food Dyes on Amazon (affiliate link).
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken Kebabs
If you’re looking for an easy and delicious weeknight meal, try your hand at air fryer tandoori chicken kebabs. This popular Indian dish is full of flavor that will fill your kitchen with the aroma of herbs and spices, creating a truly unforgettable experience in every bite.
You may think it takes special ingredients or equipment to master this marinated chicken dish, but luckily all you need are readily available groceries and pantry items!
Below, we share some helpful tips on making these unique kebabs, including all the necessary ingredients needed – plus our twist on traditional tandoori seasoning – so let’s get cooking!
- Chicken Thighs: You can also use boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Greek Yogurt: Use plain Greek yogurt since it’s thicker. It’s traditionally used in Indian Cuisine.
- Seasonings and Spices: Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Fresh Ginger, Paprika, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Turmeric, and Ground Cumin
How To Make Tandoori Chicken Skewers Air Fryer
Tandoori chicken skewers are always a crowd pleaser. Whether you’re throwing a party or just looking for an easy and delicious dinner option, these flavorful skewers will do the job. This simple recipe uses only few ingredients but packs plenty of flavor. Even better yet, it can be cooked in your air fryer without all that messy oil splattering everywhere! Follow our step-by-step guide to get your own tandoori chicken skewer masterpiece cooking in minutes!
In a bowl, mix the spices, yogurt, and chicken. Stir until the chicken is completely coated. Cover and place in refrigerator for 1 hour to marinade.
Cut meat skewers to fit in your air fryer basket. Put meat onto skewers and place inside air fryer basket.
Cook at 370 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, flipping the skewers halfyway during the cooking process. Garnish with cilantro and serve with naan and basmati rice.
Pro Tips For Cooking Indian Chicken Skewers In Air Fryer
- Let the chicken marinade. The longer it marinates, the better the flavor is. I love to make this the night before. This way, they are really juicy and tender.
- Dispose of any leftover marinade, as it is not safe to eat.
- Serve with your choice of dipping sauces.
- Since all air fryers are slightly different, using a meat thermometer to determine your chicken recipe’s exact timing is best. You don’t want them overcooked, so as the internal temperature comes close to the 165 degrees the USDA calls, I watch them closely and remove them once they hit 165.
- Never use aerosol sprays in the air fryer, as the coating will come off. The best thing is to use a refillable EVO sprayer.
- Ensure to soak your skewers in water for about 20 minutes before using them so they do not burn in the air fryer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I marinate the chicken overnight for better flavor?
Marinating the chicken overnight allows the flavors to penetrate the meat and enhances the overall taste. Marinating the chicken for at least 2-4 hours is recommended, but overnight marination can intensify the flavors.
How long do I cook Tandoori Chicken Skewers in the air fryer?
The cooking time can vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces and the specific model of the air fryer. Generally, it takes about 15-20 minutes at 400°F (200°C) to cook Tandoori Chicken Skewers in an air fryer. However, monitoring the skewers closely and adjusting the cooking time as needed to ensure they are cooked through is essential.
Can I use metal skewers in the air fryer?
Metal skewers are not recommended in the air fryer as they can conduct heat and potentially damage the basket. It’s best to use bamboo or wooden skewers that have been soaked in water beforehand.
Can I cook frozen Tandoori Chicken Skewers in the air fryer?
It’s best to thaw the Tandoori Chicken Skewers before cooking them in the air fryer. Thawing allows for more even cooking and better flavor absorption. If using frozen skewers, make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
How do I achieve a smoky flavor in Tandoori Chicken Skewers cooked in an air fryer?
While the air fryer can’t replicate the smoky flavor of a traditional tandoor oven, you can enhance the smoky notes by adding a pinch of smoked paprika or using a small amount of liquid smoke in the marinade. This helps mimic the smoky taste.
Can I make Tandoori Chicken Skewers without yogurt?
Yogurt is a key ingredient in Tandoori Chicken marinades as it helps tenderize the meat and adds a creamy texture. However, if you have dietary restrictions or prefer a yogurt-free version, you can substitute it with coconut milk or a non-dairy yogurt alternative.
Can I make Tandoori Chicken Skewers in advance and reheat them in the air fryer?
Yes, you can cook the Tandoori Chicken Skewers in advance and reheat them in the air fryer. To maintain their moisture, brush the skewers with a little oil or marinade before reheating to prevent drying.
What are some serving suggestions for Tandoori Chicken Skewers?
Tandoori Chicken Skewers are delicious on their own but can be served with various accompaniments. Traditional options include naan bread, basmati rice, cucumber raita, or a fresh salad. You can also serve them with a side of mint chutney or tamarind chutney for added flavor.
How do you store leftover tandoori chicken?
Let the chicken cool to room temperature, and then place it into an air-tight container. Place the container into the refrigerator.
The leftovers will last between 2 and 4 days.
How do you reheat leftover tandoori chicken?
To reheat, place the leftover chicken into the air fryer basket, set the temperature to 350 degrees F, air fryer setting cook for about 4-5 minutes, until heated through.
Can you use chicken wings, drumsticks, or boneless breasts of chicken instead of thighs?
Yes, you can substitute the chicken thighs out for any chicken ingredients, including wings, legs, and boneless breast of chicken.
The key is that each chicken part will require different cooking times, so for best results, use a meat thermometer.
What temperature do I cook the chicken to?
The USDA developed guidelines for each part of the chicken, including chicken thighs, legs, and wings.
Some Other Great & Easy Air Fryer Chicken Recipes-
- AIR FRYER GENERAL TSO’S CHICKEN RECIPE
- AIR FRYER EASY FRIED CHICKEN (THREE INGREDIENTS)
- EASY AIR FRYER CHICKEN WINGS
- AIR FRYER HONEY BBQ CHICKEN TENDERS
- AIR FRYER HONEY BBQ CHICKEN WINGS
Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken Kebabs
- 2 pounds chicken, Chicken thighs cut down into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, plain
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ginger purée
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a bowl, mix the spices, yogurt, and chicken. Stir until the chicken is completely coated. Cover and place in refrigerator for 1 hour to marinade.
- Cut meat skewers to fit in your air fryer basket. Put meat onto skewers and place inside air fryer basket.
- Cook on 370 degrees F, for 15 minutes, flip skewers, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with naan and basmati rice.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper