The best air fryer roasted potatoes are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The perfect side dish for any meal, potatoes are a classic staple in any kitchen. Now made even better with help from the air fryer! Oh, so good, try them today!
Hey there, I hear you might be in need of some side dishes for dinner. Trust me when I say that these air fryer potatoes will change your life forever!
They’re so amazing and easy- peasy to make (well, not really), but it’s those little things like this that can keep us going during hectic days at work or school. And don’t worry about forgetting the sides–this is a recipe that the entire family will love, and you will keep on making! They’re so good and easy!
You can make crispy golden brown air-fried potatoes in just minutes. You’ll get that signature layer of crisp on the outside and fluffy inside – all without having to spend hours cooking them from scratch!
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Side Dishes, some of my favorite recipes are AIR FRYER HASSELBACK BACON AND BLEU CHEESE POTATOES, INSTANT POT LOADED POTATO SKINS, AIR FRYER PARMESAN CRUSTED POTATOES, and AIR FRYER ROASTED BAKED POTATOES WITH SOUR CREAM AND CHIVES.
Why You Will Love Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
There are several reasons why you’ll love making Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes:
- Crispy Exterior, Tender Interior: Air frying produces potatoes with a crispy and golden-brown exterior while keeping the inside soft and tender. It’s the perfect texture contrast.
- Speed and Efficiency: Air fryers cook potatoes faster than ovens, saving you time in the kitchen. You can enjoy roasted potatoes without waiting for the oven to preheat.
- Even Cooking: Air fryers circulate hot air evenly around the potatoes, ensuring consistent cooking and eliminating the need for constant flipping or stirring.
- Versatility: You can customize the seasoning and flavors to suit your preferences. Whether you prefer classic rosemary and garlic, spicy Cajun seasoning, or a unique spice blend, air fryer roasted potatoes can be tailored to your taste.
- No-Fuss Cleanup: Air fryer baskets are typically non-stick and easy to clean, reducing the mess and hassle of roasting potatoes in the oven.
- Great Side Dish: Air fryer roasted potatoes make a versatile side dish that pairs well with various main courses, from chicken and beef to seafood and vegetarian dishes.
- Perfectly Portioned: Air fryers are great for making small to medium batches of roasted potatoes, making them ideal for individual meals or family servings.
- Consistent Results: With preset temperature and cooking time settings on many air fryers, you can achieve consistent and reliable results every time you make roasted potatoes.
- Cooks Without Heating Up the Kitchen: Air fryers generate less heat than ovens, making them a suitable option for hot summer days when you want to avoid heating your kitchen.
Air fryer roasted potatoes are not only delicious but also a convenient and healthier way to enjoy this classic side dish. You can easily experiment with different seasonings and potato varieties to create a variety of flavors and textures to suit your cravings.
Ingredients Needed For Roasted Potatoes
These ingredients come together to create a simple yet flavorful side dish of Roasted Potatoes that pairs well with various main courses.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card, at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Red Potatoes: Red potatoes are a waxy variety that holds their shape well during roasting, and their thin skin adds a nice texture to the dish.
- Butter: Butter adds richness and a savory flavor to the roasted potatoes, creating a delicious contrast to the crispy exterior.
- Minced Garlic: Minced garlic infuses the potatoes with a delightful aromatic flavor that complements the dish.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil coats the potatoes, helping them achieve that crispy exterior while adding a hint of fruity richness.
- Salt: Salt enhances the natural flavor of the potatoes and helps to season them evenly.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper provides a mild heat and a touch of spiciness, balancing the overall taste of the roasted potatoes.
How To Make The Best Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
To make the best Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes, follow these step-by-step instructions:
Preheat the Air Fryer:
Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for a few minutes. This ensures that the potatoes start cooking immediately once placed in the basket.
Prepare the Potatoes:
Wash and scrub the red potatoes thoroughly to remove any dirt.
Cut the potatoes into evenly-sized pieces, about 1-inch cubes, to ensure even cooking. You can leave the skin on for added texture and flavor.
Season the Potatoes:
- In a large mixing bowl, add the potato cubes.
- Drizzle olive oil over the potatoes and toss to coat them evenly. The oil helps create a crispy exterior.
- Sprinkle minced garlic, salt, and black pepper over the potatoes. Adjust the seasoning to your taste preference.
- Toss the potatoes again to ensure they are well-coated with the seasonings.
Air Fry the Potatoes:
- Place the seasoned potato cubes in the preheated air fryer basket in a single layer. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking, so you may need to cook in batches if necessary.
- Cook the potatoes at 400°F (200°C) for approximately 20-25 minutes, shaking the basket or stirring the potatoes halfway through the cooking time. The exact time may vary depending on your air fryer model and the size of your potato cubes.
- Keep an eye on the potatoes during the last few minutes to ensure they reach your desired level of crispiness and golden brown color.
Here are some pro tips to ensure you achieve the best Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes:
- Choose the Right Potatoes: Opt for red potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes for their creamy texture and thin skin, which crisps up nicely in the air fryer.
- Uniform Size: Cut the potato cubes into uniform sizes to ensure even cooking. This helps all the pieces cook to perfection without some being undercooked or overcooked.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheating the air fryer is crucial to jumpstart the cooking process. It helps the potatoes crisp up faster once they’re in the basket.
- Don’t Overcrowd the Basket: Arrange the potato cubes in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving some space between them. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking and soggy potatoes.
- Toss in Oil: Coat the potato cubes evenly with olive oil. Using a light, even coat ensures that each piece gets crispy without becoming greasy.
- Season Well: Season the potatoes generously with salt and black pepper. Don’t forget to add minced garlic or herbs and spices for extra flavor.
- Shake or Stir Halfway: To ensure even cooking and browning, shake the air fryer basket or stir the potatoes gently halfway through the cooking time.
- Check for Doneness: Keep a close eye on the potatoes during the last few minutes of cooking. They should be golden brown and crispy on the outside, with a tender interior. Adjust the cooking time if needed.
- Add Butter for Flavor: While the potatoes are still hot, add a small amount and toss to coat. The butter adds richness and enhances the overall flavor.
- Serve Immediately: Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes are at their best when served right away while they’re hot and crispy. They tend to lose some of their crispiness as they cool.
- Customize Your Seasonings: Get creative with your seasoning choices. Experiment with herbs like rosemary, thyme, or paprika for different flavor profiles.
- Double-Check Potatoes: If you’re making a larger batch, check each potato cube for doneness before serving to ensure consistent quality.
By following these pro tips, you’ll master the art of making the best Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes—crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and bursting with flavor.
Can I use other potato varieties for air frying?
While red potatoes and Yukon Gold potatoes work well, you can also use russet potatoes or other varieties. Keep in mind that the texture and cooking time may vary slightly.
Can I make roasted sweet potatoes in the air fryer?
Yes, you can make roasted sweet potatoes using a similar method. Adjust the seasoning to complement the sweetness of the potatoes.
How do I prevent the potatoes from sticking to the air fryer basket?
To prevent sticking, ensure the potatoes are coated evenly with oil before air frying. You can also lightly grease the air fryer basket with cooking spray or oil brush.
Can I make roasted potatoes with different seasonings?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with various seasonings like paprika, rosemary, thyme, or garlic powder to create flavor profiles.
What should I serve with air fryer roasted potatoes?
Air fryer roasted potatoes make a versatile side dish and go well with various main courses, such as roasted chicken, grilled steak, or even as a breakfast side with eggs.
Can I store leftover roasted potatoes?
Yes, you can store leftover roasted potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat them in the air fryer or oven to maintain their crispiness.
Can I freeze roasted potatoes?
While it’s possible to freeze roasted potatoes, their texture may change upon thawing and reheating. It’s best to enjoy them fresh or refrigerated.
What’s the difference between air fryer roasted potatoes and oven-roasted potatoes?
Air fryer roasted potatoes cook faster due to the circulating hot air, resulting in a crispier texture. Oven-roasted potatoes may require more time and oil.
Can I make a large batch for a crowd?
Yes, you can make a larger batch by cooking in batches if necessary or using a larger air fryer model. Just ensure not to overcrowd the basket.
Can I reheat leftover air fryer roasted potatoes? – Reheat leftover potatoes in the air fryer at 350°F (175°C) for a few minutes to restore their crispiness. You can also use a conventional oven or toaster oven.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER HASSELBACK BACON AND BLEU CHEESE POTATOES
- INSTANT POT LOADED POTATO SKINS
- AIR FRYER PARMESAN CRUSTED POTATOES
- AIR FRYER ROASTED BAKED POTATOES WITH SOUR CREAM AND CHIVES
Don’t Forget To Pin!
The Best Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
- 1 pound red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Start by dicing your potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- After dicing them, place them in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the melted butter, olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Pour over the potatoes, making sure they are well coated.
- Spread over the air fryer tray or in the air fryer basket
- Set the pan into the air fryer. (or the basket into the air fryer)
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F (air fryer setting) for 16 minutes. After 8 minutes, flip the potatoes, and continue to air fry for the remaining minutes.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional