Air Fryer Pizza Cannoli — We’re all about trying new things in the kitchen, and this Air Fryer Pizza Cannoli is no exception! It’s a fun and easy way to change up your typical pizza night. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftovers you might have. Give it a try!
Who doesn’t love pizza? Especially when it is smothered in cheese and toppings? But what about when you want that delicious pizza flavor but just want a quick snack?
Enter: the air fryer pizza cannoli. This dish is a twist on two classic Italian favorites and utilizes the air fryer to create a crispy crust without needing any oil. So if you’re looking for a healthier way to enjoy your favorite food, give this recipe a try!
What Is Pizza Cannoli?
Who doesn’t love pizza? I mean, it’s cheese and tomato sauce on a crispy crust. What’s not to love?
But what about taking that deliciousness to the next level by wrapping it up in a puff pastry? Yes, please! This recipe is easy to follow and will make your guests think you’re a culinary genius. So get ready to amaze your friends and family with this new take on an old classic – pizza cannoli! Enjoy!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Pizza Cannoli
Do you have an air fryer? If you don’t, you’re missing out! This small appliance can do some pretty amazing things, like make delicious pizzas. I’m going to show you how to make air fryer pizza cannoli. It’s a fun and easy dish that the whole family will love. So without further ado, let’s get started!
- Puff Pastry: Use a defrosted puff pastry sheet.
- Pizza Sauce: Use your favorite store-bought or homemade pizza sauce.
- Panko Bread Crumbs: Creates the crispy exterior of your pizza.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Use fresh mozzarella shredded cheese or mini mozzarella chunks.
- Basil: Use fresh basil leaves. You can also use dried ones.
- Egg Wash: Use room temperature egg and water, which will help your puff pastry crisp up, and help the panko adhere to the puff pastry.
How To Make Air Fryer Pizza Cannoli
Begin by slicing your puff pastry into eight equal squares.
Slice your mozzarella into 1-2 inch chunks or cubes.
Turning your square of puff pastry to where it creates a diamond shape, add 1-2 tablespoons of the chunky tomato sauce in the center. Add a few pieces of mozzarella cheese on top of the chunky tomato sauce. Add a few leaves of basil on top of the mozzarella cheese.
Fold the corners of the puff pastry over the center, leaving the top and bottom open.
In a shallow bowl, create the egg wash by adding both the one large egg and the 2 tsp of water. Beat until well combined. Place the folded pizza cannoli into the egg wash. Be sure to brush the top of the egg wash as well.
Shake the excess egg off and move the pizza cannoli to the panko crumbs. Coat the pizza cannoli with panko crumbs and spray generously with olive oil. Air Fry for 5-6 minutes at 400F or until golden brown
Crowding: For best results do not crowd the air fryer basket. You want the hot air to really circulate around the puff pastry, which will help it rise and get golden brown. So, leave plenty of space around the dough.
Flipping: You should not need to flip these. However, depending on the air fryer, you may notice that the top doesn’t get fully cooked. If you find that, return the pizza cannolis to the air fryer and cook at 300 degrees F for a couple of minutes, until golden brown.
Timing: Since every air fryer is slightly different, the cooking time may vary, so remember to watch your pizza cannolis as they cook up, so they get perfectly cooked.
How To Thaw Puff Pastry
If you’re like me, you always have a package of puff pastry in the freezer for last-minute dessert needs. But if you don’t know how to thaw puff pastry, it’s not very helpful!
There are two ways to defrost puff pastry.
- You can leave the puff pastry at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes until defrosted.
- Or you can defrost overnight in the refrigerator. I think it’s easier to work with puff pastry that is thawed in the fridge since it remains cold.
How To Store
While these are best served right after air frying, you can easily store them for your next meal. Let them cool to room temperature, then place them in an airtight container. They will last in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
You can reheat in the air fryer or microwave, heating until warm.
These pizza cannolis make an excellent freezer snack. You can double or even triple the recipe and freeze a batch.
Prepare as directed, and then place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze until frozen solid. Then remove the frozen pizza cannolis and put them into a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. They will last in the freezer for 1 to 2 months.
You can place the frozen pizza cannolis in the air fryer and cook at 400 degrees F, cooking for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
More Air Fryer Snacks
The air fryer is a marvelous invention that has made cooking easier and more fun. If you haven’t already gotten one, now is the time! With all of the great recipes out there, we wanted to share some of our favorite air fryer snacks with you. Whether you’re looking for something easy or a little more challenging, we’ve covered you. So check out these recipes and get cooking!
- AIR FRYER TRADER JOE’S SOUTHWEST CHICKEN QUESADILLAS
- AIR FRYER PIZZA ROLLS WITH GARLIC PARMESAN BUTTER
- MEXICAN AIR FRYER RECIPES
- AIR FRYER CHICKEN PARMESAN MEATBALLS
- AIR FRYER CRAB STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- EASY AIR FRYER BUFFALO CHICKEN PULL-APART BREAD
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Air Fryer Pizza Cannoli
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1/4 cup basil
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water, room temperature
- Begin by slicing your puff pastry into 8 equal squares.
- Slice your mozzarella into 1-2 inch chunks or cubes.
- Turning your square of puff pastry to where it creates a diamond shape, add 1-2 tsps of the chunky tomato sauce in the center.
- Add a few pieces of mozzarella cheese on top of the chunky tomato sauce.
- Add a few leaves of basil on top of the mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the corners of the puff pastry over the center, leaving the top and bottom open.
- In a shallow bowl, create the egg wash by adding both the 1 large egg and the 2 tsp of water. Beat until well combined.
- Place the folded pizza cannoli into the egg wash. Be sure to brush the top of the egg wash as well.
- Shake the excess egg off and move the pizza cannoli to the panko crumbs.
- Coat the pizza cannoli with panko crumbs and spray generously with olive oil.
- Place in an oiled air fryer pan and air fry for 5-6 minutes at 400F or until golden brown.
- Allow to slightly cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from the air fryer pan.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray