Craving some crispy chicken but trying to be conscious of what you’re eating? Then, this Easy Air Fryer Peri Peri Chicken Recipe is perfect for you! This easy and delicious Peri Peri Chicken dish brings together all the flavors we love with a hint of heat — without compromising on taste or nutrition.
Not only does it have great flavor, but it is incredibly cost-effective and ready in under 30 minutes! With its irresistible crunchy exterior and juicy center, spice up your weeknight dinners with this amazing easy peri peri chicken recipe.
What Is Peri Peri?
Peri Peri is a popular South African and Portuguese recipe, from the Algarve region of Portugal, that consists of grilled chicken marinated in a spicy sauce. This sauce, often referred to as Piri Piri or Pili Pili, typically contains chili peppers, garlic, lemon juice, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, and another spice mix.
The marinade gives the chicken a unique flavor profile with a hint of heat, making it a favorite among food connoisseurs. Peri Peri is traditionally served with sides such as fries, boiled potatoes, or rice and can be enjoyed as a main course or an appetizer. It’s also often used as an ingredient in sauces, dressings, and other dishes. No matter how you serve it, Peri Peri is sure to bring a burst of flavor and spice to any meal.
What Is Peri Peri Sauce
Peri Peri sauce is a spicy, flavorful condiment originating from the African nation of Mozambique. It is made with red chili peppers, garlic, onion, lemon juice, and spices such as paprika and cumin.
The combination creates a hot yet zesty flavor that pairs well with many dishes. Additionally, it can be used as a marinade, dip, or even in soups and stews to kick up the flavor. It’s an essential part of African cooking.
The Best Air Fryer Peri Peri Chicken Recipe
This Best Air Fryer Peri Peri Chicken Recipe is sure to become a favorite in your household! With its delicious flavors and easy-to-follow instructions, you’ll be able to make this mouthwatering meal in no time. The marinated chicken is cooked in an air fryer at a high temperature, resulting in flavorful and crunchy chicken. And with a sprinkle of chili powder, the spiciness of the Peri Peri Chicken is sure to please everyone.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Peri Peri Chicken
Air fryer peri peri chicken is the perfect meal to make if you’re looking for something flavorful and delicious that comes together with minimal effort. This simple dish packs loads of flavor thanks to the spices used, while also requiring just a few ingredients that probably already have in your cupboard.
Remember the step-by-step and detailed ingredients are below in the printable recipe card, at the bottom of this post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Chicken Pieces: Use chicken thighs, chicken legs, chicken drumsticks, leg quarters, chicken wings, or even boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Nando’s Peri-Per Sauce, any type
- Seasonings and Spices: Kosher Salt, Black Pepper
How To Cook Air Fryer Piri PIri Chicken
This is a delicious recipe, and one of the best air fryer chicken recipes, made with a few simple ingredients.
Step One: Season Your Chicken
Start by seasoning your skin, with salt and black pepper, on both sides. Pour the marinade into a large bowl, or Ziploc Bag, and then place your chicken into the marinade, cover, and refrigerate for about an hour.
Step Two: Air Fry Peri Peri Chicken
Take the chicken pieces, out of the peri peri marinade, and dispose of any extra marinade. Place chicken into the air fryer basket, in a single layer. Ensure that each piece of chicken is evenly distributed in the basket so they all cook at an equal rate.
Set your air fryer to 375 degrees F, and set the cooking time for 15 minutes. Flip the chicken over after 7-8 minutes of cooking and cook the other side. After 15 minutes of total cooking time, take the chicken out of the air fryer and check to see if it is cooked through. Use a meat thermometer and check the internal temperature of the chicken, which should be 165 degrees F, in the thickest part of the chicken.
Step Three: Serving
Serve with extra piri piri sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
What Cuts Of Chicken Can You Use Use Peri-Peri Sauce On?
The most popular cut of chicken that can be used for peri peri sauces are breasts, tenders, drumsticks, and wings. It depends if you want dark meat or white meat. Bone-In thighs, a popular option is boneless skinless chicken breast.
Since the cooking time will vary, make sure that you use a digital thermometer to check the internal temperature before removing the chicken.
For crispy skin, place the skin side down in the air fryer basket.
What To Serve With Peri Peri Chicken
This makes for a great easy weeknight dinner, where are some of my favorite air fryer side dishes for a complete meal.
- Air Fryer Roast Potatoes: Roasted potatoes are a classic accompaniment to peri peri chicken. Or, for a twist, serve with air fryer potato wedges.
- White Rice: If you’re looking for something starchy to balance out the flavors of peri peri chicken, rice is a great option. You can prepare it plain or with added herbs and spices for extra flavor.
- Air Fryer Grilled Vegetables: Various grilled vegetables are ideal for pairing with peri peri chicken. Zucchini, bell peppers, eggplant, and onions are all great options.
- Garden Salad: A light, refreshing salad is a great way to add some crunch and freshness to the meal. Try mixing together greens with tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and feta cheese for a Mediterranean-style salad.
- Air Fryer Homemade Bread: Bread is always essential for sopping up any extra sauce left on the plate. To complete the meal, try serving grilled flatbread, pitas, focaccia, or naan.
With these delicious sides, you can create a flavorful and satisfying meal with peri peri chicken as the star ingredient.
How To Store Leftovers
Place the leftover chicken in an airtight container or resealable bag. Use the leftover chicken in 2-3 days for best results.
Where To Buy Peri Peri Sauce and Peri Peri Seasoning
It’s easy to find Peri Peri sauce and seasoning in various online stores. Amazon carries several sauce brands, including Nando’s original flavor, as well as some more exotic flavors such as mango & lime and, lemon & herb. Many local grocery stores also carry the product, so be sure to check the condiment aisle for your favorite flavors.
Some popular ones are:
You can also make a homemade peri peri sauce; this is one of my favorite recipes.
Dipping Sauces For Peri Peri Chicken
Some popular dipping sauces for peri peri chicken include garlic mayonnaise, plain yogurt, hummus, tzatziki, hot sauce, and spicy chili sauces.
Is Peri Peri Sauce Low Carb?
Peri Peri sauce is a popular condiment used in many dishes for its spicy flavor. It is made from red chili peppers, garlic, lemon juice, and other spices. Its popularity has grown significantly in recent years due to its delicious flavor and versatility.
The good news is, yes! Peri Peri sauce can be low in carbs. Depending on the recipe, it can have as few as three grams of carbs per serving. That’s much lower than some other sauces like teriyaki or barbecue sauce which can have up to 20 grams of carbs.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken Recipe
- Air Fyrer Roasting Whole Garlic
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Ninja Foodi Roast Chicken
Today’s Recipe, Air Fryer Peri Peri Chicken, is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy a meal. It has all the classic flavors of peri peri chicken but with a fraction of the fat and calories.
Additionally, it’s incredibly easy to make and full of flavor. There’s no need to worry about complicated preparation or spending extra on ingredients. Simply season the chicken, place it in your air fryer, and you have a tasteful dish that can be enjoyed by all. Best of all, it takes less time than conventional cooking methods and leaves you with peace of mind knowing that every bite is not only delicious but also healthy for you and your family. Bon appetit!
Air Fryer Peri Peri Chicken
- 6-8 chicken thighs, bone-in or boneless
- 2 cups Nando's Peri-Per Sauce, any type
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Start by seasoning your skin, with salt and black pepper, on both sides. Pour the marinade into a large bowl, or Ziploc Bag, and then place your chicken into the marinade, cover, and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Take the chicken pieces, out of the peri peri marinade, and dispose of any extra marinade. Place chicken into the air fryer basket, in a single layer. Ensure that each piece of chicken is evenly distributed in the basket so they all cook at an equal rate.
- Set your air fryer to 375 degrees F, and set the cooking time for 15 minutes. Flip the chicken over after 7-8 minutes of cooking and cook the other side. After 15 minutes of total cooking time, take the chicken out of the air fryer and check to see if it is cooked through. Use a meat thermometer and check the internal temperature of the chicken, which should be 165 degrees F, in the thickest part of the chicken.
- Serve with extra piri piri sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
- Air Fryer, Air Fryer Basket or Air Fryer Oven
- Parchment Paper, or Cooking Spray