Every day, that I make new recipes, they become my new favorites, so I guess, I will just keep on cooking.
As most of you know, I am raised in a real Italian family, where homemade gravy (we don’t call it sauce) was on the stove every Sunday, with all of the meats, lamb, beef, chicken, pork, and even some fish. It would simmer for hours, upon hours and my mother would make a traditional Sunday meal and on Monday through about Wednesday, we would use the sauce for something else, usually all of the classic Italian dishes, including Eggplant Parmesan.
So, today with my air fryer, I am presenting to you my version of Eggplant Parmesan. If you are just looking for air frying the eggplant slices, you can use this recipe for that too, just don’t add the gravy or shredded cheese. It’s so easy and much healthier than pan-frying the eggplant. Since, you don’t use all of the oil, used in traditional eggplant parmesan. Next week, I am going to try this with frozen eggplant slices, that I purchased from Trader Joe’s since they are a real time saver. I will post that recipe, once I have done it.
If you are looking for other traditional Italian Recipes, here are mine:
Don’t Forget to Pin—
Air Fryer, Eggplant Parmesan Casserole (Better Than Baked or Fried)
This is my mother’s recipe, based down from my grandmother it is classical Italian Eggplant Parmesan, without the frying, so much healthier. It is also a very easy way to cook eggplant in the air fryer. This dish goes by many different names including Air Fryer eggplant cutlets, or air fried eggplant
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 19 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Course, Vegetable
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup gravy/sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Start by peeling the eggplant, it will be less stringy, as you are eating your casserole. Peel the eggplant and then cut the eggplant into about 1/2 inch slices.
- Then lay out the eggplant slices on a flat surface, sprinkle the salt on top of the eggplant slices, leave for about 10 minutes and then flip and do the same thing on the other side. This will draw the liquid out of the eggplant, so it’s not soggy after you finish cooking it.
- Then in one bowl, place the bread crumbs and in another bowl mix together the egg and milk (beat well)
- Then dredge the eggplant into the egg/milk mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. As you coat them, place them either in the air fryer basket or tray.
- Once your basket or tray is full set the tray/basket in and set the temperature to 320 degrees F, for 7 minutes, after 5 minutes flip (and air fry for about 2 minutes more)
- Meanwhile, spread a layer of sauce in your air fryer safe casserole dish
- Then place your cooked eggplant on top and sprinkle some cheese, on top.
- Cover with sauce and then add another layer of eggplant, continue, this will depend on how much eggplant you have and how big your casserole dish is.
- The last layer should be gravy/sauce and some grated Parmesan cheese.
- Place in your air fryer basket or on your air fryer tray and set in the air fryer, set for 320 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!
Keywords: trader joes eggplant cutlets air fryer air fryer eggplant parmesan recipe keto air fryer eggplant parmesan air fryer eggplant cutlets air fryer eggplant keto best air fried eggplant air fryer eggplant fries recipe eggplant in air fryer no breading