A Ham and Cheese Sandwich in the air fryer is a great and easy dinner or lunch! Made with several types of cheese, savory ham, mayo, and mustard, there’s nothing better than a homemade grilled ham and cheese!
Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich in the Air Fryer
Nothing is easier for lunch than a ham and cheese sandwich — it’s quick and delicious!
But if you want to take your grilled cheese up a notch, try using an air fryer! This handy appliance can give your sandwich that crispy, golden-brown crust you love without all the extra oil. So why not give it a try? Making your next hot ham and cheese sandwich in the air fryer is sure to become your new favorite way to make this classic dish.
Grilled ham and cheese in air fryer sandwiches also travel really well. So if you are looking for a great lunchbox meal, this is an amazing choice that the kids will absolutely love. This also makes for a great way to use the leftover ham! So if you have any leftovers in the refrigerator or want to use the leftover Easter Ham, this is a perfect recipe that will delight your taste buds.
I love a great air fried sandwich, and some of my favorite Air Fryer Sandwich Recipes are AIR FRYER SHRIMP PO’BOY, AIR FRYER GARLIC BREAD PIZZA TOAST, AIR FRYER HOT DOG TAQUITOS, and AIR FRYER HARDEE’S BIG HOT HAM ‘N’ CHEESE.
Why You’ll Love Grilled Ham and Cheese
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Travels well in lunchboxes
- Great use of leftover ham
- Easy dinner idea
Ingredients Needed For A Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich
The key with all sandwiches is to use what you have on hand! So if you have leftover ham or deli ham, use that! Either will make a fabulous ham and cheese melt!
You really can not go wrong with a grilled ham and cheese in air fryer! Add your favorite condiments to make it truly yours!
- Deli Ham
- Sandwich Bread
How To Make A Ham and Cheese Sandwich in the Air Fryer
Step 1: Prep fryer and bread
Start by preheating your air fryer to 360 degrees F, air fryer setting for about 3 to 4 minutes. Then, spread mayonnaise on one side of each piece of bread.
Step 2: Layer sandwich
Add one piece of cheese to each slice of bread, then 2 slices of deli ham, followed by another piece of cheese. Place another slice of bread on top to make the sandwiches.
Step 3: Cook sandwiches
Add your sandwiches to the preheated air fryer basket, and set the timer for 8 minutes. Flip each grilled ham and cheese sandwich about halfway through the cooking process.
Pro Tips For This Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- This air fryer grilled ham and cheese sandwich recipe can be prepared in any air fryer, including a basket or oven model. It will also work well in the Ninja Foodi, Instant Pot Crisp Lid, and even the Mealthy Lid. The cooking time will vary, depending on what air fryer you’re using. So for best results, watch your sandwiches as they cook up.
- You can add butter to the outside of the sandwich, for even more flavor.
- I used half mayonnaise and half mustard on each grilled ham and cheese, but you can do all of one or the other.
- Do not crowd your air fryer basket, or your sandwiches will not cook up properly.
What Type of Ham Should You Use?
When you go into the deli, you are bombarded by choices — here are some of my favorites:
- Honey Ham: This is a great ham because it’s naturally sweet, but at the same time a bit salty too.
- Spiral Ham: This is one of my favorite hams to use after I make a big ham for either Thanksgiving, Easter, or Christmas. What is better than using leftovers? And the spiral ham usually has a glaze, which adds sweetness.
What Type of Cheese Should You Use?
Again the ingredients are important! You do not have a lot of ingredients to play with when making a classic hot ham and cheese sandwich, so picking out the perfect cheese is essential.
- Cheddar: I love cheddar in the air fryer or in a sandwich because it melts beautifully.
- Swiss: This goes perfectly with the ham because it turns nutty as you air fry the sandwich.
- Gruyere: This is another great cheese.
- Jarlsberg: This is my son’s favorite, although you really have to cut it thin for a sandwich. If you can find it pre-sliced, that is a bonus.
What Type of Bread Goes Well With A Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich?
You can use any bread that you want, even sandwich bread. Some great textures and flavors that compliment your ham and cheese sandwich in the air fryer are:
- Sourdough: This is a great option. When you want to air fry a sandwich, this hearty and thick bread holds together well.
- Artisan Bread: Another great option that really does well with air frying. It’s a softer bread that really lets the grilled flavor come through. Serve with a layer of butter for best results.
What Do I Serve With A Grilled Ham and Cheese in Air Fryer?
When it comes to sandwiches, I usually serve mine with a pickle and some chips. More great options include:
- French Fries: There is nothing better for a sandwich than some air fryer french fries — so good!
- Pasta Salad: I love the classic flavors of Instant Pot Suddenly Salad!
- Soup: What is better than a bowl of Instant Pot Tomato Soup to go with this tasty sandwich?
When Was The Ham and Cheese Sandwich Invented?
The very first sandwich was invented way back in 1762. It was invented because it was easy to eat and did not require any silverware. And, of course, it was portable!
John Montagu, who was the 4th Earl of Sandwich, is the one that requests something to eat on the road. And ever since then, it was referred to as a sandwich!
More Air Fryer Sandwich Recipes:
- AIR FRYER SHRIMP PO’BOY
- AIR FRYER GARLIC BREAD PIZZA TOAST
- AIR FRYER HOT DOG TAQUITOS
- FROZEN CHICKEN PATTIES IN THE AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER BLT WITH HARD-BOILED EGGS
- AIR FRYER HARDEE’S BIG HOT HAM ‘N’ CHEESE
Ham and Cheese Sandwich in the Air Fryer
- 4 slices bread, any variety
- 4 slices ham, deli
- 4 slices cheese, any variety
- 1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise, or mustard
- Start by preheating your air fryer to 360 degrees F, air fryer setting, for about 3 to 4 minutes. Then spread mayonnaise on one side of each piece of bread.
- Then add one piece of cheese, and then 2 slices of deli ham, followed by another piece of cheese. Close to make sandwiches.
- Add your sandwiches to the preheat Air Fryer Basket, and set the timer for 8 minutes. Flip your sandwiches about halfway through the cooking process.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer