Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich — Introducing the ultimate comfort food with a crispy twist – the Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich.
This classic favorite gets a modern upgrade as it’s transformed into a golden-brown, perfectly grilled delight in your air fryer. With its crunchy exterior and gooey, cheesy interior, this sandwich is sure to satisfy your cravings in a matter of minutes.
Whether you’re making a quick lunch or a midnight snack, the air fryer takes this timeless treat to a new level of deliciousness. Get ready to enjoy the nostalgia of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with a crispy twist that’s hard to resist!
The Best Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich in the Air Fryer
The Best Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich in the Air Fryer recipe is a game-changer for sandwich enthusiasts. This recipe combines the classic comfort of a hot ham and cheese sandwich with the convenience and innovation of the air fryer. The result is a mouthwatering masterpiece with a crispy, golden-brown exterior and a melty, cheesy interior.
What sets this recipe apart is not just its incredible taste and texture but also its speed and simplicity. In just a matter of minutes, you can transform a few essential ingredients into a gourmet-level sandwich that’s perfect for a quick lunch, snack, or even a crowd-pleasing appetizer. The air fryer’s ability to achieve that ideal balance of crispy and cheesy makes this recipe a must-try, and its versatility allows you to customize it with your favorite condiments and extras. Whether you’re a busy parent, a student on a tight schedule, or simply a fan of delicious, fuss-free meals, you’ll love this Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich in the Air Fryer for its unbeatable taste and ease of preparation.
I love a great air fried sandwich, and some of my favorite Air Fryer Sandwich Recipes are AIR FRYER SHRIMP PO’BOY, AIR FRYER GARLIC BREAD PIZZA TOAST, AIR FRYER HOT DOG TAQUITOS, and AIR FRYER HARDEE’S BIG HOT HAM ‘N’ CHEESE.
Why You’ll Love Grilled Ham and Cheese
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Travels well in lunchboxes
- Great use of leftover ham
- Easy dinner idea
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich
You can not go wrong with a grilled ham and cheese in the air fryer! Add your favorite condiments to make it truly yours! Below is a brief overview of the simple ingredients needed for these sandwiches.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Ham Slices: Thin slices of your favorite deli ham variety, such as honey ham, savory ham, shaved ham, or smoked ham, add a savory and salty element to the sandwich.
- Sliced Cheese: Choose your preferred cheese; use a type of cheese such as cheddar, Swiss, American, or provolone for that creamy and melty goodness.
- Bread Slices: Opt for high-quality bread slices, such as Italian bread, white, wheat, sourdough, or ciabatta, to serve as the sandwich’s base.
- Butter or Margarine: A light spread of butter or margarine on the outer sides of the bread slices ensures a crispy, golden-brown crust when grilled.
- Optional Condiments: Add extra flavor with condiments like mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, or honey mustard, depending on your taste preferences.
- Optional Extras: Customize your sandwich with extras like sliced tomatoes, pickles, or caramelized onions for additional layers of flavor and texture.
These straightforward ingredients combine to create a classic and satisfying Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich, that’s perfect for any occasion.
How To Make A Ham and Cheese Sandwich in the Air Fryer
Making a delicious Ham and Cheese Sandwich in the air fryer is quick and easy. Here’s a step-by-step guide to walk you through the process:
Step 1: Prep fryer and bread
Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F (175°C) for a few minutes while you assemble the sandwich.
Butter the Bread: Take two slices of bread and spread a thin layer of butter or margarine on one side of each slice of bread. This will create a crispy, golden exterior when air-fried.
Step 2: Layer sandwich
Layer the Ingredients: Place a slice of cheese on the unbuttered side of one bread slice. Add slices of ham on top of the cheese. If you use condiments, spread them on the other slice of bread.
Assemble the Sandwich: Sandwich the ham and cheese with the condiment-covered slice, creating a complete sandwich.
Step 3: Cook sandwiches
Air Fry the Sandwich: Carefully place the assembled sandwich into the preheated air fryer basket or on the air fryer tray, butter side down. Ensure it’s in a single layer and not overcrowded.
Air Fry: Cook the sandwich in the air fryer at 350°F (175°C) for approximately 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on it during the cooking process to ensure it reaches your desired level of crispiness and the cheese is fully melted. You may need to flip the sandwich halfway through the cooking time for even browning.
Serving: Once the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese is melty, carefully remove it from the air fryer. Let it cool for a minute or two to avoid burning yourself. Then, slice it in half diagonally and serve hot.
Feel free to customize your delicious air fryer grilled ham sandwich with ingredients like sliced tomatoes, poppy seeds, pickles, or caramelized onions for added flavor and texture.
- Turkey and Swiss: Swap the ham slices for sliced turkey (leftover turkey is amazing here) and use Swiss cheese instead. Add some Dijon mustard for a classic turkey and Swiss combo.
- Bacon Lover’s Dream: Cook some crispy bacon in the air fryer and add it to your ham and cheese sandwich for an extra layer of flavor and crunch.
- Pesto Powerhouse: Spread a layer of basil pesto on one side of the bread before assembling the sandwich—the aromatic pesto pairs beautifully with ham and cheese.
- Spicy Kick: Add a slice of pepper jack cheese and a few pickled jalapeño slices for a spicy twist. This option is perfect for those who enjoy some heat in their sandwich.
- Mushroom and Swiss: Sautéed mushrooms with a touch of garlic and thyme combined with Swiss cheese make for a gourmet sandwich experience.
- Hawaiian Twist: Layer your ham and cheese with pineapple slices for a sweet and savory Hawaiian-inspired sandwich.
- Italian Delight: Use provolone cheese and add some sliced salami or pepperoni for an Italian-inspired flavor explosion.
- Avocado Bliss: Add creamy slices of avocado to your sandwich for a buttery and nutritious element.
- Caprese Classic: Layer fresh mozzarella cheese, tomato slices, and basil leaves for a Caprese-style ham and cheese sandwich. Drizzle with balsamic glaze for extra flavor.
- Eggcellent Breakfast: Top your ham and cheese sandwich with a fried or scrambled egg for a hearty breakfast twist.
- BBQ Bonanza: Spread a thin layer of barbecue sauce inside the bread slices before assembling. Add pulled pork or shredded chicken for a barbecue-inspired delight.
Achieve sandwich perfection with these pro tips for making an Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Sandwich:
- Butter Evenly: When spreading butter on the bread, ensure it covers the entire surface, including the edges. This guarantees a uniform golden-brown crust.
- Use Softened Butter: Allow your butter or margarine to soften at room temperature before spreading. Softened butter is easier to work with and won’t tear the bread.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer briefly before cooking. This ensures that your sandwich cooks evenly and starts crisping up right away.
- Layer Ingredients Thoughtfully: Assemble the sandwich with care. Place the cheese slices next to the bread to act as a barrier, preventing the bread from becoming soggy from the ham or other fillings.
- Customize Your Condiments: Get creative with condiments. Experiment with different mustards, mayonnaises, or spreads to add unique flavors to your sandwich.
- Check for Doneness: Keep a close eye on your sandwich in the air fryer. Cooking times can vary depending on the air fryer model and thickness of your bread. Aim for a beautifully golden and crispy exterior.
- Flip for Even Cooking: If you notice that one side is browning faster than the other, flip the sandwich halfway through the cooking time to ensure both sides are evenly crisp.
- Don’t Overcrowd: If making multiple sandwiches, ensure they are in a single layer in the air fryer basket and not overcrowded. This allows for proper air circulation and even cooking.
- Rest Before Cutting: After removing the sandwich from the air fryer, give it a minute or two to rest. This allows the cheese to set slightly, making it easier to cut without oozing out.
- Slice Diagonally: For that classic sandwich presentation, slice your sandwich diagonally. It’s not just about aesthetics; it also makes it easier to handle and dip if desired.
- Serve Immediately: Enjoy your sandwich while it’s hot and crisp. These sandwiches are best enjoyed fresh out of the air fryer.
With these pro tips, you’ll craft the perfect Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Sandwich every time—crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside, and packed with flavor.
Can I use different types of bread?
Absolutely! You can use your favorite type of bread for your sandwich, whether it’s white bread, whole wheat bread, sourdough bread, French bread, King’s Hawaiian Rolls, slider bun, or specialty bread like ciabatta or rye.
How do I prevent the bread from becoming too soggy?
To prevent sogginess, spread a thin layer of butter or margarine on the outer sides of the bread slices. This creates a barrier that helps maintain the sandwich’s crispiness.
What’s the best cheese for this sandwich?
The choice of cheese is flexible and depends on your taste; choose your favorite cheese. Types of cheese include sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss, American cheese, provolone, and mozzarella. Experiment with different cheeses to find your favorite combination.
Can I add vegetables to the sandwich?
Certainly! You can customize your sandwich by adding vegetables like sliced tomatoes, lettuce, or pickles for freshness and crunch.
Can I make this sandwich ahead of time and reheat it?
While the sandwich is best enjoyed fresh for its crispy texture, you can make it in advance and reheat it in the air fryer at a lower temperature for a short time to regain some crispiness.
What’s the ideal temperature and time for the air fryer?
Generally, air fry the sandwich at 350°F (175°C) for 5-7 minutes, flipping it halfway through. However, cooking times may vary depending on your specific air fryer model and the thickness of your bread.
Can I cook multiple sandwiches at once?
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may be able to cook multiple sandwiches simultaneously. Ensure they are in a single layer and not overcrowded for even cooking.
Can I use a different spread instead of butter?
Yes, you can use alternatives like olive oil, mayonnaise, melted butter, or even a thin layer of pesto to add flavor and prevent the bread from sticking to the air fryer basket.
How do I clean the air fryer afterward?
After cooking, allow the air fryer to cool down before cleaning. Remove any excess crumbs or melted cheese, and wash the basket and tray with warm, soapy water or place them in the dishwasher if they are dishwasher-safe.
Can I make this sandwich gluten-free?– Absolutely! Use gluten-free bread to make a delicious gluten-free version of this sandwich.
When it comes to sandwiches, I usually serve mine with a pickle and some chips. More great options include:
- French Fries: There is nothing better for a sandwich than some air fryer french fries — so good!
- Pasta Salad: I love the classic flavors of Instant Pot Suddenly Salad!
- Soup: What is better than a bowl of Instant Pot Tomato Soup with this tasty sandwich?
More Air Fryer Sandwich Recipes:
- AIR FRYER SHRIMP PO’BOY
- AIR FRYER GARLIC BREAD PIZZA TOAST
- AIR FRYER HOT DOG TAQUITOS
- FROZEN CHICKEN PATTIES IN THE AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER BLT WITH HARD-BOILED EGGS
- AIR FRYER HARDEE’S BIG HOT HAM ‘N’ CHEESE
Ham and Cheese Sandwich in the Air Fryer
- 4 slices bread, any variety
- 4 slices ham, deli
- 4 slices cheese, any variety
- 1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise, or mustard
- Start by preheating your air fryer to 360 degrees F, air fryer setting, for about 3 to 4 minutes. Then spread mayonnaise on one side of each piece of bread.
- Then add one piece of cheese, and then 2 slices of deli ham, followed by another piece of cheese. Close to make sandwiches.
- Add your sandwiches to the preheat Air Fryer Basket, and set the timer for 8 minutes. Flip your sandwiches about halfway through the cooking process.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray, optional
- Parchment Paper, optional