Everyone uses ground beef, at least once per week in their cooking, I thought it was a great time to talk about how to purchase ground beef, what to look for and some pointers.
- Ground beef is actually a combination of beef cuts. It usually is a combination of chuck, round and sirloin. Some labels, at the grocery store, may include the cut of meat that is ground.
- Always purchase ground meat that is bright red. You can tell older ground meat by the color, if it is brown or gray, do not purchase it, as it indicates that it is older.
- For huge savings purchase a family pack of ground beef and then freeze some of the meat for later.
- Look for a tightly wrapped package of meat, avoid a package with loose plastic wrap or a tear.
Here are some guides for purchasing ground beef due to leanness:
- Not less than 73% lean-This is normal just labeled ground beef. This meat is good for chilis, soups, sloppy joes and pizzas.
- Not less than 80% lean-This meat is used best in meat loves, meatballs and hamburgers
- Not less than 85% lean-This is best used in casseroles
The most important thing to remember when using ground meat is that it is very versatile.
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
Don’t Forget to Pin:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onions
- 1/2 cup green peppers
- 1 pound ground beef, lean
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Worceshire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup breadcrumb
- 1/3 cup ketchup
Start by chopping the green peppers, into diced pieces
Then chop the onions, into bite-sized pieces.
Place the chopped onions, peppers and butter into a saucepan, and saute until both the onions and peppers are tender.
Let the onions and peppers cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, combine the pork and ground beef together.
Then add the eggs to the meat mixture.
Mix in the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and salt and pepper.
Then add the breadcrumbs in, start with a 1/2 of a cup, and then mix it all together. You only want to pour enough breadcrumbs to make the mixture stick. If you add too much it will be dry.
Mix in the green peppers and onions, into the mixture.
Spray mini loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray
Add your meatloaf mixture to the mini loaf pans. And shape them into form.
Add the ketchup on top and spread.
Set the temperature to 330 degrees F, and the time for 15 minutes.
After the 15 minutes check to see if it is done, and check the internal temperature of 160 degrees F or 70 degrees C.
Remove the mini pans from the air fryer, let rest for a few minutes before serving, plate, serve and enjoy!