Blackstone Griddle Sausage & Mushroom Flatbread Pizza is fantastic! There is nothing better than a grilled pizza.
This is a great and easy meal, a hearty and healthy one with ground Italian spicy sausage and slivers of mushrooms and onions, all held together by melted mozzarella cheese.
I used a premade flatbread crust, but you can always use your own. I found an excellent recipe for a homemade flatbread crust recipe. So, next time I make a flatbread pizza, I will make it with homemade crust.
Although my teens could not get enough of this pizza, so I have a feeling that the next time we make a pizza, it might be my 16 and 18-year-olds manning the griddle.
If you are new to Blackstone or Griddling, here are some of my tried and true recipes: BLACKSTONE GARLIC BUTTER LAMB CHOPS, BLACKSTONE GRILLED CORN ON THE COB, BLACKSTONE PERFECT GRILLED PORK CHOPS and my family’s favorite BLACKSTONE GRIDDLE MOJO CHICKEN TACOS.
Flatbread Pizza on Blackstone Griddle: A Crispy Delight
Few things can beat the satisfaction of biting into a slice of homemade pizza with a perfectly crisp crust and your favorite toppings. You’re in for a treat when you make flatbread pizza on a Blackstone griddle. The sizzle as the flatbread hits the hot surface, the aroma of sauce and cheese mingling, and the speed at which your pizza cooks to perfection—all contribute to a delightful experience. It’s a simple yet versatile way to enjoy pizza at home without needing a traditional oven. Plus, the griddle imparts a unique charred flavor to the crust, elevating your pizza game.
Customizable and Quick
The beauty of flatbread pizza lies in its versatility. You can tailor it to your preferences, whether you’re a fan of classic pepperoni and mozzarella or you prefer a veggie-loaded masterpiece. The quick cooking time on the Blackstone griddle means you can have a hot and satisfying meal ready in minutes. Whether you’re cooking for yourself, your family, or a gathering of friends, flatbread pizza on the Blackstone griddle is sure to please. So, gather your favorite toppings, fire up the griddle, and embark on a pizza-making adventure right in your own backyard or kitchen.
Ingredients Needed For Blackstone Flatbread Pizza
These simple yet versatile ingredients are all you need to create delicious flatbread pizza on your Blackstone griddle. Feel free to get creative and experiment with combinations to satisfy your pizza cravings.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Flatbread: The foundation of your pizza, flatbreads like naan or pita provide a ready-made crust that cooks quickly and crisps beautifully on the griddle.
- Pizza Sauce: Choose your favorite pizza sauce, classic marinara, tangy BBQ, or a garlic-infused white sauce to spread over the flatbread.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Shredded mozzarella cheese is the classic choice for that gooey, melty goodness. For added flavor, mix in other cheeses like cheddar, Parmesan, or provolone.
- Pizza Toppings: Customize your pizza with an array of toppings. Options include pepperoni, bell peppers, sliced olives, onions, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, spinach, and any other favorites you desire.
- Olive Oil: A light brushing of olive oil on the flatbread’s surface adds flavor and helps achieve a crispy and golden crust.
- Fresh Basil (Optional): For a touch of freshness and aroma, consider adding fresh basil leaves as a garnish once your pizza is cooked.
How To Cook Flatbread Pizza On Blackstone
Imagine the sizzle of dough hitting the hot griddle, the enticing aroma of pizza sauce and cheese, and the excitement of creating a customized pizza masterpiece—all in the comfort of your kitchen or outdoor cooking space.
Making flatbread pizza on a Blackstone griddle is a breeze and a deliciously satisfying experience. It’s the perfect option for craving pizza but doesn’t want to heat the oven. With a few simple ingredients and your trusty griddle, you can whip up restaurant-quality flatbread pizzas in no time.
Preheat the Griddle: Start by preheating your Blackstone griddle on medium-high heat. Ensure it’s hot and ready for cooking.
Brush with Olive Oil: Lightly brush one side of each flatbread with olive oil. This will help create a crispy and golden crust when griddling.
Place the Flatbreads: Lay the flatbreads, oiled side down, onto the hot griddle. Allow them to cook for about 2-3 minutes until the bottom becomes crispy and slightly charred.
Add Sauce and Toppings: Flip the flatbreads over using a spatula. On the cooked side (now facing up), spread an even layer of pizza sauce and add your desired toppings. Don’t forget to be generous with the shredded mozzarella cheese for that perfect melt.
Cover and Cook: Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the griddle with a lid or aluminum foil. This will help melt the cheese and cook the toppings without burning the crust.
Check for Doneness: After about 5-7 minutes, check the pizzas for doneness. The cheese should be melted and bubbly, and the crust should be crispy.
Garnish and Serve: Remove the flatbread pizzas from the griddle, garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired, and let them cool for a minute before slicing. Then, slice and serve your delicious homemade flatbread pizzas.
These flatbread pizzas on a Blackstone griddle are quick, customizable, and deliver fantastic results. Whether you’re cooking for yourself or hosting a pizza night with friends, this method will have you enjoying crispy, cheesy, and utterly satisfying pizzas in no time. Bon appétit!
Pro Tips For Cooking Flatbread Pizza On Blackstone Griddle
- Preheat the Griddle Thoroughly: Ensure your Blackstone griddle is well preheated before adding the flatbreads. A hot griddle helps achieve a crispy crust and prevents sticking.
- Use the Two-Zone Cooking Method: If you’re cooking multiple flatbread pizzas, consider using a two-zone cooking method. Heat one side of the griddle on high for searing and browning the crust, and keep the other side on medium-low for melting cheese and cooking toppings evenly.
- Don’t Overload with Toppings: While loading up your flatbread with toppings is tempting, be mindful not to overdo it. Too many toppings can make the pizza soggy and difficult to handle. Balance is key.
- Use a Lid or Foil for Melting Cheese: Covering the griddle with a lid or aluminum foil during cooking helps trap heat and melt the cheese evenly without overcooking the crust.
- Rotate the Flatbreads: If you’re cooking multiple pizzas at once, rotate them occasionally to ensure even cooking and prevent hot spots on the griddle.
- Experiment with Seasonings: Elevate the flavor of your flatbread pizza by experimenting with seasonings. Sprinkle some garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, or dried herbs over the toppings for extra taste.
- Be Creative with Cheese: While mozzarella is a classic choice, don’t hesitate to get creative with your cheese selection. Try provolone, gouda, or feta for unique flavor profiles.
- Add Fresh Ingredients After Cooking: If you’re using delicate ingredients like fresh basil or arugula, add them as a finishing touch after you’ve removed the pizza from the griddle. This preserves their freshness and texture.
- Prep Ingredients Ahead of Time: To streamline the cooking process, have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go before you griddling.
- Practice Makes Perfect: Making great flatbread pizza on a Blackstone griddle may take a bit of practice. Don’t be discouraged if your first attempt isn’t perfect. Adjusting heat levels and cooking times to your liking is part of the learning process.
With these pro tips, you’ll master the art of cooking flatbread pizza on your Blackstone griddle and be confident to experiment with different toppings and flavor combinations. Enjoy creating delicious homemade pizzas that are quick, customizable, and perfect for any occasion!
Can I use any type of flatbread for this recipe?
Yes, you can use various types of flatbreads like naan, pita, lavash, or even homemade flatbread dough. Choose the one that suits your taste and preference.
How do I prevent the pizza from sticking to the griddle?
Preheating the griddle and brushing the flatbread with olive oil before cooking will help prevent sticking. You can also use a small amount of cornmeal or semolina flour on the griddle to create a non-stick surface.
Can I make these flatbread pizzas on a regular stovetop griddle or skillet?
Absolutely! While the Blackstone griddle provides even heat and ample cooking space, you can achieve similar results on a stovetop griddle or skillet by adjusting the heat accordingly.
How do I know when the pizza is done cooking?
The pizza is done when the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the crust is crispy and golden brown. Cooking times may vary based on your griddle’s heat level and the thickness of your flatbread.
Can I use this method to make dessert pizzas as well?
Certainly! This method is versatile, and you can use it to make dessert flatbread pizzas with ingredients like Nutella, fruits, or chocolate chips. Just adapt the toppings to your sweet tooth’s delight.
Can I make flatbread pizza on a Blackstone griddle outdoors?
Yes, many people enjoy making flatbread pizzas on their outdoor Blackstone griddles. Just ensure you have a suitable cooking setup and follow safety guidelines for outdoor grilling.
What’s the advantage of cooking pizza on a griddle vs. a traditional oven?
Griddle-cooked pizza offers the advantage of speed and the ability to achieve a crispy crust with a nice char, similar to a wood-fired oven. It’s a great option when you want pizza quickly and don’t want to heat up your kitchen.
Can I make mini individual flatbread pizzas using this method?
Absolutely! You can use smaller flatbreads or cut larger ones into individual portions to create mini pizzas with various toppings to cater to everyone’s preferences.
More Blackstone Griddle Recipes
- BLACKSTONE PERFECT GRILLED PORK CHOPS
- EASY BLACKSTONE GRIDDLE MOJO CHICKEN TACOS
- Blackstone Grilled Corn on the Cob
Blackstone Flatbread Pizza
- 4 pieces flatbread, e.g., naan or pita
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Fresh basil leaves, optional, for garnish
Pizza toppings of your choice (e.g., pepperoni, bell peppers, olives, onions)
- Preheat your Blackstone griddle on medium-high heat until it’s hot and ready for cooking.
- Lightly brush one side of each flatbread with olive oil.
- Place the flatbreads, oiled side down, onto the hot griddle. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until the bottom becomes crispy and slightly charred.
- Flip the flatbreads over using a spatula. On the cooked side (now facing up), spread an even layer of pizza sauce and add your desired toppings.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese over the toppings.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the griddle with a lid or aluminum foil. This will help melt the cheese and cook the toppings without burning the crust.
- After about 5-7 minutes, check the pizzas for doneness. The cheese should be melted and bubbly, and the crust should be crispy.
- Remove the flatbread pizzas from the griddle, garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired, and let them cool for a minute before slicing.
- Slice and serve your delicious homemade flatbread pizzas.
- Blackstone Griddle
- Cooking Oil
- Preheat the griddle thoroughly for a crispy crust.
- Use a two-zone cooking method for multiple pizzas.
- Don’t overload with toppings for even cooking.
- Be creative with cheese choices.
- Add fresh ingredients after cooking for a burst of flavor.