Air Fryer Trader Joe’s Vegetable Bird’s Nests are amazing! They are perfectly air-fried up and come out crispy and absolutely delicious.
I love Trader Joe’s Frozen Items in the Air Fryer; they are truly amazing. This one is no different.
If you have never had these before, they are a combination of different shredded vegetables that spiraled together. They are battered in a light tempura batter, which is why the air fryer does these amazingly! You get a perfectly roasted appetizer, snack, or side dish every single time.
If you are looking for some other easy ways to prepare some Frozen Trader Joe’s Products in the Air Fryer, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER TRADER JOE’S MOZZARELLA STICKS, AIR FRYER TRADER JOE’S TEMPURA CHICKEN, AIR FRYER TRADER JOE’S MIXED BERRY SCONES and AIR FRYER SPATCHCOCK CHICKEN.
How To Make Air Fryer Trader Joe’s Vegetable Bird’s Nests
If you have never seen these before, this is the package, I used in the recipe.
Along with a few sprays of cooking spray they will crisp up beautifully.
How To Make These In The Air Fryer
Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, then lay your frozen Trader Joe’s Bird Nest inside the basket. Being careful not to crowd the basket.
Set the temperature to 400 degrees F, air fryer setting for 5 minutes. Flip and air fry for another 3-4 minutes.
Note: If you want them to really crisp up, give them a quick spray of cooking spray.
Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Trader Joe’s Vegetable Bird’s Nests Review
Trader Joe’s is known for its eclectic and often delicious array of frozen food items, and their Vegetable Bird’s Nests are no exception to this trend. These crispy, crunchy nests, filled with a medley of vegetables, offer a fun and tasty treat that can serve as an appetizer, snack, or even a side dish. Here’s a deeper dive into these intriguing vegetable morsels:
Appearance: Each bird’s nest is a beautiful tangle of thinly sliced vegetables, predominantly carrots and onions, shaped into a compact nest. They look inviting, especially when cooked to a golden brown hue, and have a pleasing aesthetic that could liven up a plate.
Taste & Texture: Upon biting into one, you’re greeted with a delightful crunch from the outer layer, reminiscent of a well-cooked tempura. The vegetables inside retain a bit of their natural bite, making for a contrast in textures. The flavor is mild and earthy, with the vegetables’ natural tastes shining. The accompanying soy-based dipping sauce, included in the package, adds a savory and slightly tangy touch, complementing the nests perfectly.
Cooking: The Vegetable Bird’s Nests are best cooked in the oven or an air fryer to achieve optimal crispiness. They cook relatively quickly, making them a convenient choice for those looking for a quick and tasty snack.
Nutritional Value: While these are vegetable-based snacks, it’s essential to remember they’re still fried items. Thus, while they offer some nutritional benefits from the veggies, they also contain a fair amount of fat and calories. They’re best enjoyed in moderation.
Value: As with many Trader Joe’s products, you get a reasonable amount for the price. The packaging usually contains several bird’s nests, enough for a few servings.
Overall Impression: Trader Joe’s Vegetable Bird’s Nests are a delightful treat that combines the joys of crispy tempura with the earthy goodness of vegetables. They’re versatile and can be served at gatherings or enjoyed solo during a quiet evening. While they aren’t a health food by any stretch, as an occasional indulgence, they’re hard to beat. If you’re a fan of vegetable tempura and are looking for a convenient freezer-to-oven option, try these. They might find a regular spot on your Trader Joe’s shopping list!
What To Serve With Birds Nest Trader Joe
Trader Joe’s Vegetable Bird’s Nests are a versatile and delightful dish that can be paired with various accompaniments to create a well-rounded meal or a themed appetizer spread. Here are some ideas on what to serve with these crispy vegetable morsels:
- Dipping Sauces:
- Soy Sauce: A simple yet classic choice.
- Sweet Chili Sauce: Adds a touch of sweetness and a little heat.
- Ponzu: A citrus-infused soy sauce that adds a tangy twist.
- Tzatziki: A creamy yogurt-based dip with cucumber and garlic for a Mediterranean touch.
- Grilled Shrimp or Prawns: Seasoned lightly with some salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Teriyaki Chicken Skewers: The sweetness of teriyaki contrasts the savory nests.
- Steamed or Pan-Fried Dumplings: A great addition for an Asian-themed appetizer spread.
- Miso Soup: A light and flavorful soup that pairs well with the crunchy nests.
- Hot & Sour Soup: Offers a tangy contrast.
- Tom Yum: A Thai spicy and sour soup.
- Asian Slaw: Made with cabbage, carrots, bell peppers, and a tangy vinaigrette.
- Cucumber Salad: Thinly sliced cucumbers with rice vinegar, sugar, and sesame seeds.
- Seaweed Salad: A refreshing choice with a unique texture and flavor.
- Steamed Jasmine or Sticky Rice: A simple side that complements the bird’s nests.
- Spring Rolls: Both fresh and fried versions work well.
- Edamame: Steamed and sprinkled with sea salt.
- Green Tea: A refreshing palate cleanser.
- Sake: If you’re feeling adventurous and want an alcoholic pairing.
- Lemon or Cucumber Water: Light and refreshing.
- Mochi Ice Cream: A sweet and chewy treat to round off the meal.
- Sesame Balls: Filled with sweet red bean paste.
- Fruit Platter: Featuring fruits like pineapple, melon, and berries.
Remember, the key is to balance the deep-fried nature of the Vegetable Bird’s Nests with lighter dishes or contrasting flavors and textures. This way, you can create a memorable and harmonious meal or snack spread for any occasion!
How To Cook Trader Joe’s Birds Nest In Oven
Cooking Trader Joe’s Vegetable Bird’s Nests in the oven is a simple process that results in crispy and delicious appetizers. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to the temperature specified on the product’s packaging, typically around 400°F (200°C).
- Prepare a Baking Sheet:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. This ensures the bird’s nests won’t stick and makes for easier cleanup.
- Arrange the Bird’s Nests:
- Take the Vegetable Bird’s Nests out of the package and place them on the prepared baking sheet, ensuring they’re spaced apart. This ensures even cooking and crispiness on all sides.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven. Bake for the time specified on the packaging, usually around 20-25 minutes. However, cooking times might vary slightly based on oven calibration and the number of bird’s nests you’re cooking.
- Halfway through the baking time, it’s a good idea to flip each bird’s nest using tongs or a spatula. This ensures they crisp up evenly on both sides.
- Check for Doneness:
- The bird’s nests should be golden brown and crispy when done. If they haven’t reached your desired level of crispiness at the end of the recommended cooking time, you can leave them in for an additional few minutes, but keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
- Once cooked, remove them from the oven and let them sit for a minute or two. This allows them to firm up a bit more.
- Serve hot with the provided dipping sauce or any other sauce of your preference.
- Enjoy your crispy and delicious Vegetable Bird’s Nests!
Note: Always be cautious when working with a hot oven, and use oven mitts when handling baking sheets. Additionally, since oven temperatures can vary, it’s always a good idea to keep an eye on your food to prevent overcooking.
- What are Vegetable Bird’s Nests?
- They are a type of appetizer made of thinly sliced vegetables, predominantly carrots and onions, that are coated in a light batter and fried until crispy. They are shaped to resemble “nests.”
- Are they vegetarian or vegan?
- The Vegetable Bird’s Nests from Trader Joe’s are vegetarian. However, it’s always a good idea to check the ingredient list for any animal-derived products if you’re vegan.
- How should they be stored?
- They should be stored in the freezer until you’re ready to cook them. Once cooked, any leftovers should be refrigerated and consumed within a couple of days.
- Can they be cooked in methods other than the oven?
- Yes, while oven baking is recommended for best results, they can also be cooked in an air fryer. The product packaging might provide additional cooking instructions.
- Are there any allergens to be aware of?
- Always check the packaging for specific allergen information. Common allergens in such products could include wheat/gluten, soy, or others.
- How many come in a package?
- The quantity can vary depending on the package size. It’s best to check the packaging for specific details.
- Can I make a homemade dipping sauce for them?
- Absolutely! While they come with a soy-based dipping sauce, feel free to get creative. Some popular choices include sweet chili sauce, a mix of soy sauce and rice vinegar, or even a tangy tamarind sauce.
- Are they spicy?
- No, Trader Joe’s Vegetable Bird’s Nests are not inherently spicy. However, you can always add some heat with your choice of dipping sauce or seasonings.
- Can I reheat leftover bird’s nests?
- Yes, for best results when reheating, use an oven or toaster oven to ensure they regain their crispiness. Microwaving is not recommended as they can become soggy.
- Where in Trader Joe’s can I find them?
- They are typically found in the frozen food section, often with other Asian-inspired or international food items.
Some Other Great & Easy Trader Joe’s Products Made In The Air Fryer-
- HOW TO MAKE TRADER JOE’S FROZEN FRENCH TOAST IN THE AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER, TRADER JOE’S BBQ CHICKEN TERIYAKI
- AIR FRYER TRADER JOE’S MOZZARELLA STICKS
Air Fryer Trader Joe’s Vegetable Bird’s Nests
- 1 package Trader Joe's Vegetable Bird's Nests, frozen
- Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, then lay your frozen Trader Joe's Bird Nest inside the basket. Being careful not to crowd the basket.
- Set the temperature to 400 degrees F, air fryer setting for 5 minutes. Flip and air fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional