Who doesn’t love a freshly made doughnut? Especially when it’s still warm and covered in glaze or frosting. But who has the time to make them from scratch? Not me! That’s why I love my air fryer. It helps me make delicious doughnuts in just a few minutes. And, best of all, they come out perfectly every time. So, if you’re looking for an easy way to make delicious doughnuts, check out this air fryer Boston cream donuts recipe. You won’t be disappointed!
I am becoming a great baker with the help of my Instant Pot. I am learning to create great desserts and breakfasts for my family. Today, I made a simple Air Fryer Boston Cream Donuts (Doughnuts).
This recipe was actually the idea of my 15-year-old son; he saw one at the fancy Donut Shop in town and wanted to know if we could make them. The answer, of course, was we could try.
This is a really simple recipe, and with a few ingredients, you can soon have a batch on your table, and the cooking time is under 10 minutes. So, grab the ingredients, and I promise you will love this!
What Is A Boston Cream Donut?
I am from Boston, and I can tell you that these are all over the city. They are typically filled with custard cream. I took the shortcut today, although nothing is wrong if you want to make homemade custard cream.
The signature look is a donut baked and then filled with custard cream, and then on top is a layer of chocolate frosting.
Some More Ideas For Fillings!
- Refrigerator dough biscuits
- Chocolate Glaze
- Instant Vanilla Pudding
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Boston Cream Donuts (Doughnuts)
Who doesn’t love a fresh Boston Cream donut? The problem is that most recipes require deep frying, making them greasy and unhealthy. This recipe for Air Fryer Boston Cream Doughnuts fixes all of that! These doughnuts are light, fluffy, and full of flavor. Plus, you only need a few simple ingredients. So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today!
- Refrigerated Biscuits: Use any favorite biscuits, from Immaculate Flaky Biscuits to Pillsbury Grand Biscuits.
- Chocolate Glaze: Powdered Sugar, Unsweetened Baking Cocoa, Butter, Milk, and Pure Vanilla Extract.
- Vanilla Pudding: Store-bought or homemade.
How To Cook Boston Cream Donuts (Doughnuts) In The Air Fryer
Start by spraying your air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil. Start by preparing the biscuit dough for the air fryer. Place your biscuit dough (I needed to do it in 2 batches, as you don’t want them crowded). Set the temperature to 330 degrees F, for 4 minutes.
After 4 minutes, check and see if the donuts are golden brown and cooked through. If they are, remove the biscuits, place them on a cutting board, and place the second batch in the air fryer basket (If not add 1 minute)
Meanwhile in a small mixing bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, unsweetened baking cocoa, butter (melted), vanilla, and milk. Mix well until everything is well blended. Cut the donut in half and spoon prepared vanilla pudding inside the donuts.
Wait a few minutes, until the donuts are cooled, and then spread the chocolate frosting on the donuts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are The Best Biscuits To Use In This Recipe?
I love using a flaky biscuit. Since you are looking to split the donut, it’s the perfect biscuit. I love using the Pillsbury Grands with butter since it gives you great flavor. The butter is already in there, which makes your donuts even more light and fluffy.
Pro Tips For The Best Air Fryer Boston Cream Donuts (Doughnuts)
- Space your donuts, you do not want them touching. If you let your donuts touch the place where they are touching will not cook, leaving you with a bit of raw dough.
- Flip your biscuits, if you find that your air fryer is not cooking on both sides, flip the biscuits halfway.
- Want a Vanilla Glaze? Change it up, they are your donuts, make them so you and your family love them.
How To Store Donuts
You will find these donuts are best when served warm and fresh; as they get cooled down, they will get hard.
But, if you do have some leftovers, place them into an airtight container and try to eat in the next day or two.
Can You Use Frozen Dough For This Recipe?
I have had similar results with Pillsbury Frozen and generic frozen biscuits.
The recipe will be about the same.
More Air Fryer Breakfast Recipes
- Air Fryer Cheesy Breakfast Tacos | Tex-Mex tacos are the perfect way to start the day. So simple to make, and boy, are these tacos loaded with flavor.
- Air Fryer Cinnamon French Toast | You have a sweet breakfast take. Making French toast in your air fryer is delicious and one of my favorites. Drizzle with syrup and dive in.
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Air Fryer Boston Cream Donuts (Doughnuts)
- 1 can refrigerated biscuit dough
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted, and melted
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 containers prepared vanilla pudding, or 2 cups
- Start by spraying your air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil.
- Start by preparing the biscuit dough for the air fryer.
- Place your biscuit dough (I needed to do it in 2 batches, as you don’t want them crowded)
- Set the temperature to 330 degrees F for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, check and see if the donuts are golden brown and cooked through. If they are, remove the biscuits, place them on a cutting board and place the second batch in the air fryer basket (If not, add 1 minute)
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, mix the powdered sugar, unsweetened baking cocoa, butter (melted), vanilla, and milk. Mix well until everything is well blended.
- Cut the donut in half and spoon prepared vanilla pudding inside the donuts.
- Wait a few minutes until the donuts are cooled, and then spread the chocolate frosting on the donuts.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer