Air Fryer Christmas Bagels — Christmas is in the air. The time has come to start thinking about your favorite treats for this holiday season! I’m sure you have a list of things you’ve been craving lately, including bagels. Here’s an easy solution for gluten-free people who don’t feel like cooking on Christmas morning: Air fryer Christmas Bagels!
If you’re looking for a new way to enjoy your Christmas morning, try these Air Fryer Christmas Bagels. The recipe is quick and easy, but the results are delicious! Make these for breakfast this holiday season, or surprise your family on Christmas morning with an unexpected twist on their favorite breakfast food. These bagels are crispy on the outside and fluffy inside–just like they should be!
Check Out Our Latest Air Fryer Recipe & Video!
What Are Christmas Bagels?
Christmas Bagels are a family tradition in my home. My parents made these when I was younger, but we would always bake them. So, today I tried them in the air fryer. And they are amazing!
While I only created green and red bagels, you can do the same recipe and switch out the colors for any of your favorites! They are made with the same dough that I use as a base for many of my Air Fryer Bagels. They are easy to make and make any holiday party, breakfast, or brunch fantastic!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Christmas Bagels
- Self-Rising Flour
- Greek Yogurt
- Red & Green Food Coloring
How To Make Air Fryer Christmas Bagels
Place 1 cup of flour in a large mixing bowl. Scoop about 1 cup of Greek yogurt in the center of the flour. (You want a nice, thick Greek yogurt; if it is a thinner Greek yogurt, you will need to use less – start with a ½ cup if you think your yogurt might be on the thinner side).
Add a small amount of red food coloring.
Begin working the yogurt and food coloring into the flour – use either a fork or gloved hands. Continue mixing the dough until it begins to come together into one mass. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured countertop and continue kneading until the dough forms a smooth ball and is no longer sticky.
Repeat the recipe to form a second ball using green food coloring. Form two balls with the dough and slice each of them into eight equal pieces. For each bagel, roll one piece of red dough and one piece of green dough into logs. Twist the two logs together and then roll them for a few moments so that they become one log. Twist as needed to keep a nice spiral of color. Gently join the two ends together to form the bagels.
Brush each bagel lightly with egg wash for a nice sheen—Bake in the air fryer at 325° for about 10 minutes.
Yogurt: The type of yogurt will really make a difference in how much you use in the recipe. I like to use Fage 2% Greek yogurt, which results in an excellent 1:1 ratio of self-rising flour: yogurt. I have used other brands and needed only ½ cup of yogurt for 1 cup of flour. If you find that your dough is very sticky with a 1:1 ratio, add a bit more flour – a couple of tablespoons at a time – until you get a somewhat elastic dough. Please note: the dough will be pretty sticky at first, so work on it for a few minutes before determining that it is too sticky and that more flour is needed. These bagels are delicious. They are moist and have some nice chew like traditional bagels. Slice in half to
reveal a beautiful swirl of color. They can even be toasted!
Flour: It is essential to use SELF-RISING FLOUR, which differs from all-purpose flour. All-purpose flour does not have the leavening agents in the flour to make this recipe work. Self-rising flour is available at most grocery stores in America.
Food Coloring: You can use any food color; today, I used red and green for a special Christmas Breakfast.
Can I Double The Recipe:
Yes, this is a very easy recipe that you can easily double or triple if you want to make a huge batch for the Christmas Holiday!
The recipe will remain the same, although you would have to cook in batches. Depending on what air fryer you own and how many bagels you make, you can easily keep on cooking them in batches until all of the bagel dough is cooked through.
Can I Make These In The Oven?
Yes, this is an easy recipe, and the oven would work well if you want to make a huge holiday batch. Prepare the recipe as directed, then place the bagels into a 375-degree F, preheated govern for 20 to 24 minutes.
How To Store:
These are best eaten when they are straight out of the air fryer. As they cool, they tend to lose their flavor. Store in an airtight container and place into the refrigerator. They should last for 2 to 3 days.
You can reheat in the air fryer or microwave heat until warmed through.
More Air Fryer Christmas Recipes:
- AIR FRYER CHRISTMAS BROWNIE MIX COOKIES
- AIR FRYER CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES
- EASY AIR FRYER CHRISTMAS LIGHT BROWNIES
- AIR FRYER CHRISTMAS RED VELVET SNOW GLOBE CUPCAKES
Air Fryer Christmas Bagels
- 2 cups self-rising flour (do not substitute all-purpose), divided
- 1-2 cups Greek yogurt, divided
- red and green gel food coloring
- 1 large egg mixed with 1 teaspoon water
- Place 1 cup of flour in a large mixing bowl. Scoop about 1 cup of Greek yogurt in the center of theflour. (You want a nice, thick Greek yogurt; if it is a thinner Greek yogurt, you will need to use less -start with a ½ cup if you think your yogurt might be on the thinner side).
- Add a small amount of red food coloring.
- Begin working the yogurt and food coloring into the flour – use either a fork or gloved hands.
- Continue mixing the dough until it begins to come together into one mass.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured countertop and continue kneading until the dough forms asmooth ball and is no longer sticky.
- Repeat the recipe to form a second ball using green food coloring.
- Form two balls with the dough and slice each of them into 8 equal pieces.
- For each bagel, roll one piece of red dough and one piece of green dough into logs. Twist the twologs together and then roll them for a few moments so that they become one log. Twist as needed tokeep a nice spiral of color.
- Gently join the two ends together to form the bagels
- Brush each bagel lightly with egg wash for a nice sheen.
- Bake in the air fryer at 325 degrees F, air fryer setting, for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer