Do you ever wonder what kitchen gadget could make your breakfast prep faster, easier, and more delicious? Look no further; Air Fryer Apple French Toast Sticks are here! Air Fryers offer a unique way to cook that doesn’t require oil but still yields crunchy outsides and soft insides.
This recipe is highly adaptable—use different fruits or berries instead of apples for an added flavor. They’re perfect for a fun family breakfast or even just as a quick snack when you need something sweet! Gather the ingredients and pull out your air fryer for these easy-to-make apple French toast sticks in no time at all.
What Are Apple French Toast Sticks
Apple French toast sticks are a delicious twist on traditional French toast. Instead of making a whole slice of French toast, the bread is cut into strips or sticks and dipped in a mixture of beaten eggs, milk, and ground cinnamon.
To make apple French toast sticks, you can add a layer of flavor by incorporating applesauce into the recipe. The applesauce will infuse the French toast sticks with a sweet and slightly tart apple flavor.
Apple French toast sticks are often served warm and can be enjoyed as a breakfast or brunch dish. They are typically served with maple syrup, powdered sugar, or even a dusting of cinnamon for added sweetness. The combination of the soft, custardy interior and the crispy exterior, along with the subtle apple flavor, makes apple French toast sticks a delightful and satisfying treat.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Apple French Toast Sticks
Air Fryer Apple French Toast Sticks are a quick and delicious meal to whip up for breakfast, brunch, or even dessert. They come together in less than fifteen minutes using simple ingredients you may already have on hand.
Applesauce is the star of this recipe, tossed in the ground cinnamon, providing an irresistible sweet and savory flavor profile that makes them perfect for any time of day. With just the right amount of crunchy exterior and soft center, these Air Fryer Apple French Toast Sticks make a wonderful treat your whole family will love!
Remember the step-by-step directions below in the printable recipe card and the detailed ingredient list, including the nutritional information.
- Bread: Cut into matchsticks
- Egg: Use a large, room-temperature egg
- Milk: Options are whole milk, almond milk, oat milk, or lactose-free milk
- Applesauce: Use sweetened applesauce for the best flavor
- Ground Cinnamon: This will help emphasize the apple flavor.
How To Make Apple French Toast Sticks In Air Fryer
Are you looking for a delicious breakfast dish without the mess and hassle of cooking on a stovetop? Then look no further!
Our easy-to-follow Apple French Toast Sticks In Air Fryer recipe will make your morning stress-free with flavorful results that won’t leave you feeling weighed down by heavy bread. This decadent morning treat is reminiscent of apple pie but can be enjoyed anytime throughout the day – making it perfect for brunch or dinner parties! The combination of crispy toast coated in ground cinnamon infuses all of the applesauce fillings. So don’t wait another minute – read ahead to work out how to enjoy these hot air fryer french toast sticks as soon as possible!
Step One: Prepare The Apple French Toast Batter
Add the egg, milk, applesauce, and ground cinnamon in a large bowl, and whisk until incorporated.
Step Two: Dip The Bread
Dip the breadsticks in the egg mixture for 3-5 minutes.
Step Three: Air Fry Apple French Toast Sticks
Place the French Toast Sticks in a single layer, and then spray them with cooking spray or brush them with olive oil.
Set the cooking time for 3 minutes, flip, and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Repeat the process with the rest of the bread.
Step Four: Serving
Serve with maple syrup, fresh-cut applets, and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon right before serving.
- Choose the Right Bread: Use thick slices of bread that can hold well to the dipping and cooking process. Brioche or challah bread works particularly well for French toast sticks due to their soft and slightly sweet texture.
- Soak the Bread Properly: Dip each breadstick into the egg mixture and ensure both sides are well-coated. Allow the bread to soak for a few seconds on each side, ensuring it absorbs the mixture without becoming overly saturated.
- Lightly Grease the Air Fryer Basket: To prevent the French toast sticks from sticking to the air fryer basket, lightly grease it with cooking spray or brush it with a small amount of melted butter or oil.
- Arrange French Sticks in a Single Layer: Place the French toast sticks in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring they are not overcrowded. This allows for proper air circulation and even cooking.
- Flip or Shake: Depending on the size and power of your air fryer, you may need to flip or shake the French toast sticks halfway through the cooking time to ensure they cook evenly on all sides.
- Monitor Cooking Time: Keep a close eye on the cooking process, as air fryers tend to cook quickly. Adjust the cooking time as needed based on the thickness and desired level of crispness.
- Serve Immediately: Air fryer apple French toast sticks are best enjoyed immediately after cooking. They are at their peak when they are warm and crispy, and the apple slices are tender.
- Customize Toppings: Finish off your apple French toast sticks with your favorite toppings. Maple syrup, powdered sugar, a dusting of cinnamon, or a dollop of whipped cream can add extra sweetness and flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use any bread for air fryer French toast sticks?
Yes, you can use various types of bread for French toast sticks. Brioche, challah, Texas toast, or regular sliced bread will work well. Just ensure that the bread is thick enough to hold its shape and not become too soggy during cooking.
Can I make French toast sticks ahead of time and reheat them in the air fryer?
While French toast sticks are best enjoyed fresh, you can make them ahead of time and reheat them in the air fryer. After they cool down, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, place them in the air fryer at a lower temperature for a few minutes until warmed through and crispy.
Can I freeze air fryer French toast sticks?
Yes, you can freeze air fryer French toast sticks for later enjoyment. After cooking and cooling, place them in a freezer-safe container or bag, separating the sticks with parchment paper to prevent sticking. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month. To reheat, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and then crisp them up in the air fryer.
How do I prevent the French toast sticks from sticking to the air fryer basket?
To prevent sticking, lightly grease the air fryer basket with cooking spray, oil, or melted butter. This helps create a non-stick surface and makes removing the French toast sticks easier once they are cooked.
Can I use egg substitutes or alternative milks for air fryer French toast sticks?
You can use egg substitutes like flax eggs or commercial egg replacers if you prefer an egg-free version. Similarly, you can use alternative milk such as almond, soy, or oat milk instead of cow’s milk. Remember that the texture and flavor may vary slightly from traditional French toast.
Can I add additional flavors to the egg mixture for the French toast sticks?
Absolutely! For extra flavor, you can customize the egg mixture by adding spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla extract. You can also incorporate a touch of sweeteners, such as sugar or maple syrup, to enhance the sweetness.
What are some tasty toppings for air fryer French toast sticks?
There are numerous toppings you can enjoy with French toast sticks. Classic choices include maple syrup, powdered sugar, fresh fruit slices, whipped cream, or a chocolate or caramel sauce drizzle. You can get creative and experiment with your favorite toppings to suit your taste.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER SMORES COOKIE CUPS
- AIR FRYER, DEEP FRIED ENTENMANN’S CHERRY PIE
- INSTANT POT MINI BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
- AIR FRYER S’MORES PIE FOR ONE
- AIR FRYER SLICE AND BAKE COOKIES
Air Fryer Apple French Toast Sticks
- 8 slices bread, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, beat the egg, milk, applesauce, and cinnamon until incorporated.
- Dip the breadsticks in the egg mixture. Transfer to the air fryer basket and spray with the butter cooking spray.
- Cook for 3 minutes, flip, and cook for three more minutes. Repeat the process with the rest of the breadsticks.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper