This was my kid’s favorite lunch this year, not only did we have Air Fried Mozzarella Sticks, but we also had Instant Pot Potato Skins, so it was like an appetizer day. And, who doesn’t love appetizers?
I have been using my air fryer and experiment with different foods. so this is what I came up with.
Follow along with our cooking adventures on Facebook
This was one of great Superbowl (Super Bowl) Snacks that we had this past Sunday, they were amazing, and they do require some hands-off time, freezing, but they are so worth the extra time if you have been purchasing the TGIF’s one in the freezer case, save some time over the weekend, and make these. You will not be disappointed with the results.
These cheese sticks can be made healthier, but choosing low-fat or skim mozzarella sticks in your dairy aisle. You do not get the deeply fried color that you get when you oil fry these, but since that is mostly oily that gives your mozzarella stick that color, you shouldn’t be surprised or disappointed. It is saving you thousands or hundreds of calories. I did try baking this recipe and it does work. In case you are not in possession of an air fryer, but still, want to try the recipe.
Here are some other Air Fryer Appetizer Recipes–
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
Don’t Forget to Pin–
Air Fryer-Air Fried-Applebee’s (Copycat) Mozzarella Sticks
- 12 1 ounces mozzarella sticks
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
Seasoning Mix/Bread Crumb Mixture:
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- The hardest part of this recipe for me was to remove the cheese sticks from the wrappers.
- Start by cutting up your mozzarella sticks, in half
- Place the mozzarella sticks on parchment paper, which is lined on a baking sheet (that will fit in your freezer)
- Place the baking sheet (with the parchment paper, and mozzarella sticks) into the freezer for 25 minutes.
- After the 25 minutes,
in one bowl place the flour
- In another bowl place the eggs and beat them, so they get nice and frothy.
- In another bowl, place mix the bread crumbs, cheese, and seasonings and mix well.
- Then drip the frozen mozzarella stick into the
bread crumb mixture
- As you do them, place them back on the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Freeze them again for about 1 hour.
- NOW–Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees, the results will be so much better. This is one of the few recipes that I preheat my air fryer for.
- Spray your air fryer basket, with non-stick cooking spray. So they don’t end up sticking.
- Remember not to overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- Remember to spray your mozzarella sticks, while they are in the air fryer, you will get some nice golden color.
Set the time for 5 minutes, at 400 degrees F. If you air fryer only goes to 390 degrees F, you may need an additional minute.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!