Instant Pot Guinness Irish Beef Stew is the perfect dish to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day – or any day! This hearty stew is made with beef and vegetables and is cooked in Guinness beer for extra flavor. It’s easy to make in the Instant Pot and is sure to become a family favorite. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Guinness Irish Beef Stew-My mother-in-law gave me this recipe. I think she got it when she had the opportunity to visit the Guinness Factory. It has been tweaked over the years, and now it is one of my husband’s family’s favorite recipes. This soup also serves as a tribute to my mother-in-law, who loved traveling.
It serves as a great winter meal and as great food to serve on St. Patrick’s Day. You will find it is a nice flavorful and hearty stew. Instant Pot Guinness Beef Stew is also a great easy-to-make and hardly any cleanup since it is in the Instant Pot. It also is a HUGE timesaver.
I love a good meaty beef stew in the middle of the winter; living in the Northeast temperature gets really cold, I mean freezing. We are talking about negative 20 degrees on a January day. So there is nothing like an old-fashioned beef stew to really warm you up.
Instant Pot Guinness Irish Beef Stew
The difference between Instant Pot Guinness Irish Beef Stew and a regular beef stew is really just the inclusion of Guinness Beer in the stew.
Instead of beef broth, you use a bottle of Guinness beer as the base. Guinness beer, if you have never drunk a bottle, is an Irish Dry Stout. This means that it is a dark fermented beer comprised of water, barley, malt extract, hops, and brewers yeast.
When we incorporate it into our beef stew, it gives a great flavor to the end dish.
What Is Guinness Irish Beef Stew?
We all know and love the classic Guinness Irish Stout, but did you know that it’s also delicious in a beef stew? This hearty dish is perfect for a cold winter evening, and it’s easy to make too! Keep reading for the recipe.
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot Guinness Irish Beef Stew
- Beef Stew Meat: Use either chuck, short ribs, or brisket.
- Seasoning/Spices: Salt, Black Pepper, Minced Garlic, Rosemary, and Thyme
- Vegetables: Onions, Carrots, and Red Potatoes
- All-Purpose Flour: You can use gluten-free or almond flour
- Butter: Use unsalted butter
- Beef Broth and Guinness Beer: Provide the broth.
- Worcestershire sauce: Adds richness to the broth.
- Soy Sauce: Use low-sodium soy sauce
- Brown Sugar: Adds some sweetness to the soup
- Tomato Paste: Helps thicken the soup
How To Make Guinness Beef Stew
In a large mixing bowl, place the meat and coat it with flour and salt, and pepper. Make sure it’s coated on each side. Place the butter in the Instant Pot and press the sauté button. Wait until the butter is melted, and then add the meat. Brown, the meat on each side, making sure it does not overcook.
Then mix the beef broth, beer, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, tomato paste, rosemary, and thyme. Place the carrots, potatoes, and onions into the Instant Pot. Mix well. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and close the steam valve. Press the “meat/stew” button (it should be set for about 35 minutes on high pressure) After it beeps, let it come down naturally. Open up the Instant Pot, stir and serve.
- Beef To Use: The best part of the beef stew is the meat; if you give a quick sear to the meat, you will have a more flavorful dish. To sear your meat, just add the olive oil to the Instant Pot bowl, press the saute button, allow the bowl to heat up, and then take your meat and saute it for a few minutes.
- Slow or Natural Release: For more flavor, let the beef stew naturally release, as it allows for all of the flavors to come together.
- Want A Thicker Stew? For a thicker stew, add a cornstarch slurry at the end, and mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. While the stew is hot, mix the cornstarch slurry into the soup. The beef stew will thicken up.
What Kind Of Beef Is Used For Stew?
The best beef stew meat is from the front should, which is referred to as the chuck. The other great meat to use is what they refer to as a round steak.
Using a tender cut of meat tends to dry out the meat, so it’s best to go with the least expensive cut, the chuck roast. As the Instant Pot will not dry out the meat, you will end up with a more flavorful dish at the end of the cooking process.
Some other great cuts of meat to use in Beef Stews are beef shink, brisker, to short ribs. I usually use whatever is on sale, as they are great alternatives.
What to Serve With Beef Stew:
There are so many things that beef stew goes great with. Here are some of my favorites:
More Instant Pot Recipe:
If you loved our recipe for Guinness Beef Stew Instant Pot, check out these other recipes. Remember you can make these recipes in a regular pressure cooker, Instant Pot, or Ninja Foodi.
Don’t Forget To Pin:
When it comes to comfort food, there's nothing quite like a hearty beef stew. This Irish beef stew is made with Guinness and is perfect for Saint Patrick's Day or any day when you're craving something warm and delicious. Best of all, it can be made in the Instant Pot so it's quick and easy to prepare. Give this recipe a try and you'll be glad you did!
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 bottle Guinness beer 11.2 ounces
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 3 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 pound red potatoes peeled and quarterd
In a large mixing bowl, place the meat and coat it with the flour and salt and pepper. Make sure it’s coated on each side.
Place the butter in the Instant Pot and press the sauté button.
Wait until the butter is melted, and then add the meat. Brown, the meat on each side, making sure it does not overcook.
Then put the beef broth, beer, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, tomato paste, rosemary, and thyme, mix well.
Place the carrots, potatoes, onions into the Instant Pot.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and close the steam valve.
Press the “meat/stew” button (it should be set for about 35 minutes on high pressure)
After it beeps, let it come down naturally.
Open up the Instant Pot, stir and serve.