Classic Pea Salad — I love this green pea salad that I was introduced to by my mother-in-law. It is so simple and delicious! This recipe has all the ingredients you will need for a tasty, fresh side dish or it can even be made into an entree if you add some protein like chicken or shrimp. Give this classic pea salad a try at your next get-together!
Classic Pea Salad– Are you looking for a quick salad to go with dinner? Here is one of my favorites, it’s a classic pea salad, which is amazing all year round.
This is a great salad to bring to any get-togethers, and this makes an amazing summer side dish. Full of flavor and includes air-fried bacon (or oven) and is amazingly simple!
This might remind you of something that you ate when you were a small child. This is truly a classical recipe. The flavors are all fused together the sweet peas, with the rich flavors of the bacon, and the tartness of the red onions, and of course the sharpness of the cheddar cheese. The flavors all work together to make a perfect side dish.
What ingredients are needed for this Pea Salad Recipe?
This is one easy recipe for a great quick healthy side dish. With only few ingredients you can have this in minutes, here are the ingredients:
- Peas: Of course. One of the best things is that you can use freezer peas, which you can always have one hand, to make this.
- Bacon: Since I received my first air fryer, I had been looking for more ways to use bacon, and this is the perfect recipe.
- Cheese: I used sharp cheddar which has been shredded.
- Red Onion: A perfect contrast against the peas, plus the red and green make it a beautiful salad.
What Type Of Bacon Can I Use?
You can use a number of different bacon options. Some of my favorites are cooked bacon, of if you re in a hurry use bacon bits!
What Type of Cheese Can I Use?
The classic recipe calls for cheddar cheese, there are a ton, of different varietes, , some of my favorites are:
- Extra Sharp
- White Cheddar
My advice would be to use your favorite cheese. Either used shredded cheese or cube your cheese. Either is fine for this salad.
Can I Use Canned Peas?
yes, although they will not have the same texture as the frozen peas, as you mix them with the other ingredients they will ented to get mushy.
Do you serve this Pea Salad cold?
Yes, this is why this recipe is super popular, you can make it ahead of time, and let the flavors marinate in the refrigerator.
Do you Have To Cook the frozen Peas for the Salad?
No, the peas simply have to be defrosted. To defrost, you can either cook them in the microwave for a few seconds or leave the frozen peas out for about 30 minutes on the counter.
How to Store Leftover Classic Pea Salad
If you have any leftover pea salad, pour it into an airtight container, and then place the container into the refrigerator. It should last between 2 to 4 days.
SOME HELPFUL PRODUCTS USED IN CLASSIC PEA SALAD-
- PYREX GLASS MIXING BOWL SET (3-PIECE SET, NESTING, MICROWAVE, AND DISHWASHER SAFE)
NORDIC WARE PREP & SERVE MIXING BOWL SET, 4-PC, SET OF 4, COASTAL COLORS
DON’T FORGET TO PIN,
Classic Pea Salad
- 16 ounces peas, thawed
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup diced cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup diced red onions
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- In a small mixing bowl combine the thawed peas, diced red onions, diced cook bacon and shredded cheese.
- Mix well.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl, mix together, and then pour into the pea salad.
- Mix well.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!