There is nothing better than Homemade Chocolate Buttercream Frosting! It’s amazing, and better yet, with only a few ingredients, you can make a whole batch in minutes!
This incredible frosting has only 5 ingredients and is ready to go. And best of all, you do not have to refrigerate it before using it, so it’s ready right after you prepare it.
The secret to this buttercream is that it has two chocolate as a base, semi-sweet chocolate and unsweetened chocolate, making for a great indulgence treat.
You can use this frosting for both cupcakes and cakes. If you are looking for some great homemade cake recipes, some of my favorites are DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE, AIR FRYER POUND CAKE CUPCAKES, AIR FRYER COPYCAT HOSTESS CUPCAKES, AIR FRYER CHOCOLATE CAKE.
Ingredients In Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Powdered Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- Unsweetened Chocolate
How To Make Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
In a large bowl, beat the butter with the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until almost blended.
Increase the speed of the mixer and add the semi-sweet chocolate and the dark chocolate and beat on high until light and fluffy – about 1 minute.
If frosting cupcakes, decant the frosting into a piping bag (or a resealable bag with the corner snipped off) and squeeze carefully on top of the cupcakes.
If frosting a cake, use an angled spatula to carefully spread the frosting over the layers. Make sure all loose crumbs have been brushed off first.
How to store chocolate buttercream frosting
Once the frosting has been completed, the cupcakes/cake can be stored at room temperature in a covered container for 3 days.
Can you freeze chocolate buttercream frosting?
Yes. Freeze in an airtight container (or re-sealable bag that hasn’t been cut) for 3 months. Before using it, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator and mix it with your mixer before using.
What to do with leftover frosting?
You could make cake pops. Crumble up the cake into the frosting and roll it into balls. Insert cake-pop sticks and dip them into candy-quick.
You could also make a glaze or use it for topping ice cream.
How much frosting does this make?
This frosting will make about 5 cups, which should be enough for the following:
- Frosting Cupcakes: This will be enough to frost 25 to 30 Cupcakes
- Frosting For A Cake: This will be enough to frost a 9-inch 3-layer cake.
What is the best vanilla extract to use?
For baking, I really splurge. I usually purchase Beyond Good Pure Vanilla Extract Madagascar Vanilla Extract.
It’s great, and I think it’s great because it’s pure, and unlike other vanillas on the market, it does not contain any sugar.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes, I often double this recipe if I make a huge batch of cupcakes for a party or get-together. It is easy to do so, and the recipe works the same.
Some Great Cake Recipes To Serve This On:
- AIR FRYER COPYCAT HOSTESS CUPCAKES
- EASY AIR FRYER THREE-INGREDIENT NUTELLA CAKE
- AIR FRYER-HOW TO MAKE A CAKE (BOXED) IN THE AIR FRYER
Don’t Forget To Pin-
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups butter, unsalted
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until almost blended.
- Increase the speed of the mixer and add the semi-sweet chocolate and the dark chocolate and beat on high until light and fluffy – about 1 minute.
- If frosting cupcakes decant the frosting into a piping bag (or a re-sealable bag with the corner snipped off) and squeeze carefully on top of the cupcakes.
- If frosting a cake use an angled spatula to carefully spread the frosting over the layers. Make sure all loose crumbs have been brushed off first.
- Mixing Bowl