Cooking Chicken Legs In Air Fryer — Looking for a delicious and healthy way to cook chicken legs? Then look no further than the air fryer! In just minutes, your chicken legs will be cooked through and crispy. Plus, you’ll enjoy all the benefits of cooking with an air fryer – like little to no oil needed! So give this easy recipe a try today and see for yourself how fantastic air-fried chicken legs can be.
Air Fried Chicken Legs–This is one of the easiest and tastiest chicken dishes that I have made in the air fryer. It takes minimal ingredients, and it’s a great time-saver on a weeknight when you are heading to kid’s activities or running home late. Air Fryer Fried Chicken Drumsticks are a delicious drumstick recipe that kids and adults will both be reaching for one more drumstick.
My kids love traditional fried chicken, but it’s not that healthy, and it’s really greasy. Now comes in the air fryer, you can get the same flavor, but without all of the added fat and cholesterol.
Air Fryer Fried Chicken Drumsticks
The chicken’s flavor is amazing, and I have found that making chicken in the air fryer really keeps it moist and delicious. I was actually astonished and delighted that when I made my Italian Parmesan crusted chicken, the chicken was not dried, and you didn’t need any dipping sauce like you need when it’s baked in the oven.
The coating on this chicken comes out nice and crispy, while the inside is nice and moist. And since the cost of drumsticks is low, chicken becomes a nice budget-friendly meal. You can also make large batches, and it serves well at family reunions, BBQs, holidays, and just for big family dinners. It also stays well; if you want to make a batch on Sunday night, it will keep well until Tuesday. So, it’s a keeper for a make-ahead meal.
Just a word of the (affiliate link) Kentucky Kernel, it’s an amazing product that comes in a huge line of flavors (I don’t know if a lot of people know this). Still, they have flavors from the original, Cajun, Lemon Pepper, Garlic & Herb, and are Gluten-Free.
Ingredients Needed For Chicken Legs Air Fryer
For those who are looking to add a little excitement to their chicken legs, the air fryer may be a great option. This kitchen appliance cooks food by circulating hot air around it, which means that you can enjoy your favorite dishes without having to worry about all of the added calories. In order to make sure your chicken legs come out perfectly cooked, you will need some specific ingredients. Keep reading for a list of what you will need!
- Seasonings/Spices: Montreal Chicken Seasoning, Salt, and Black Pepper
- Chicken: Chicken drumsticks or Chicken Legs
- Olive Oil: Or another high-heat oil, such as avocado oil, grapeseed oil, or coconut oil.
How To Cook Chicken Legs In Air Fryer
First, rub your oil over the chicken. Then season both sides of the chicken with the seasonings above, or use your own blend. Preheat the air fryer to 390 F for about 4 minutes.
Place your chicken into the air fryer basket, and air fry for 10 minutes, then flip to the other side and air fry for another 10 minutes. Check with a meat thermometer that your chicken has an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F.. If not, add a few minutes to the cooking time.
Pro Tips For The Best KETO Fried Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Seasonings: Feel free to play around with spices to find what works for you. Chicken is very versatile, so any of your favorite spices or spice rubs could be a perfect fit.
- Oil: Make sure you get all sides of the chicken covered in the oil before applying the seasoning. This is going to help the spices and flour stick to the meat.
- Crowding: Leave spaces between each drumstick. Do not overlap chicken, or you will not get an even cook on the meat.
- When Are Your Chicken Legs Cooked? Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temperature. Please do not touch the bone when you check, or it can give you a false reading.
- Spray Your Chicken, For The Golden Color: Ensure you spray chicken, or it will not brown up and will stay pale colored.
Meal Prep And Storing Drumsticks
If you want to meal prep with this chicken recipe, you can. Just cook up your chicken and then store it in airtight containers in the fridge. Pair with rice, mixed vegetables, or any other side dish you might want. Then use these to heat up and eat for lunch or dinners throughout the week.
You can also freeze leftover chicken if you want to save it for later on down the line. Just place it in a vacuum-sealed bag or any freezer-approved bag or container. Then freeze the chicken for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge and then reheat as you would like.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I Make This In The Oven?
Yes, of course, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F, and bake for about 40-50 minutes, flip them about halfway. Check your meat with a meat thermometer.
How to Know Chicken Is Done?
You will know by using a meat thermometer to check to ensure the chicken reaches 165 degrees internally. The other way to tell is that the juices run clear, and there is no pink color when you slice into the chicken. I always recommend a meat thermometer to ensure you do not eat undercooked chicken.
Can I Use Other Cuts of Chicken For Air Frying
Go right ahead and use a different cut of chicken. You will adjust the cooking time to fit the size of the meat. If you have larger and thicker cuts of the chicken, it will vary on the cooking time. But you can follow the same directions on how to coat the chicken.
How long do drumsticks take in the air fryer?
Start by coating the drumsticks with olive or avocado oil and then season the drumsticks with your spices. Put the drumsticks into the air fryer in a single layer, spacing them apart. Cook for 12 minutes, turn legs or drumsticks over and air fry for another 10-12 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. Plate, serve, and enjoy!
What To Serve With Fried Chicken?
Chicken is a great protein cause it pairs with almost everything—pasta salad, potato salads, mashed potatoes, vegetables, salad, and more. Reach for any of your favorite sides and create a meal that will feel like you ordered takeout from your favorite restaurants.
Some Tips for Making Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks-
- Try to buy the same size drumsticks, as they will air fry at the same time.
- Do not crowd the basket, as they will not cook evenly. Make sure the chicken drumsticks are in a single layer in the basket.
- If you want crispy skin, rub some baking powder over the chicken leg.
Interested in more chicken recipes
- Air Fryer Bang Bang Chicken | Spiced-up chicken tastes so much better than any takeout you can order. This sauce will blow your mind when paired with this chicken.
- Parmesan Ranch Tenders | Chicken tenders are always welcome in my home. Perfectly battered chicken that is air fried to crispy perfection. Pair with your favorite dipping sauces.
- Air Fryer Naked Wings | Make the perfect wings at home. This naked wing is a great one for game day snacking or an easy dinner. Eat plain or pair with your favorite dipping sauces.
Don’t Forget To Pin:
This is one of my first air fryer recipes. It has a ton of flavor and it’s easy to prepare, it’s one of my budget meals because I usually stock up on drumsticks (legs) when they are about 99 cents a pound. My kids love them, and they are so easy to make and absolutely delicious. Easy and fast.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks thawed
- 3 tablespoons oil
First rub your oil, over the chicken.
Then season both sides of the chicken with the seasonings above, or use your own blend.
Preheat the air fryer to 390 F, for about 4 minutes.
Place your chicken into the air fryer basket, and air fry for 10 minutes, then flip to the other side and air fry for another 10 minutes.
Check with a meat thermometer that your chicken has an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F., if not add a few minutes to the cooking time.
Let the chicken rest for a couple of minutes and then plate and serve and most importantly enjoy!