Air Fryer Pumpkin Lava Cake — Do you want an easy dessert recipe that looks and tastes like it took a professional chef to make? Look no further than this delicious Air Fryer Pumpkin Lava Cake!
Not only does this decadent treat look gorgeous when served, but it’s also made with simple ingredients and is perfect for fall holidays. The air fryer makes cooking quick and effortless, so there’s no need to heat your kitchen or drag out all your baking supplies. Let’s start making this scrumptious pumpkin lava cake that will have all your family and friends asking for seconds!
Air Fryer Pumpkin Cake For One
Fall is in the air, and that unmistakably means two things: cozy vibes and pumpkin flavors! If you’re anything like me, you’ve probably been craving a slice of spiced pumpkin cake while sipping your favorite autumn drink. But what if you don’t want to bake a whole cake or enjoy a little treat without the leftovers? I’ve got you covered!
Introducing the Air Fryer Pumpkin Cake For One – your perfect personal-sized dessert solution. Made in minutes and filled with rich pumpkin flavors, this cake captures the essence of fall in every bite. And the best part? You don’t need to heat the whole oven!
Dive into the recipe below and enjoy a slice of fall heaven, all for yourself. Your air fryer just found its new favorite task!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Pumpkin Lava Cake
Try something different for dessert this fall season and make an Air Fryer Pumpkin Lava Cake! This delicious cake combines pumpkin spice flavors with warm molten lava-like chocolate for a comforting treat. It’s easy to make in your air fryer and requires just a handful of ingredients to create it.
Read on below to learn how to whip up this showstopping dessert without needing too much effort or time in the kitchen!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post and the nutritional information.
- Pumpkin Puree: The star of the show, pumpkin puree lends that rich, autumnal flavor and moistness to the cake. Ensure you’re using unsweetened puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Egg: Acts as a binding agent, giving structure and stability to the cake. It also imparts a rich texture that complements the pumpkin.
- All-Purpose Flour: Provides the basic structure for the cake. A little goes a long way in this individual-sized dessert.
- Brown Sugar: Adds sweetness and helps to achieve a golden-brown finish on the outside of the cake.
- Unsalted Butter: Gives the cake its richness and ensures a tender crumb. Melted butter mixes smoothly, enhancing the cake’s consistency.
- Pumpkin Spice: A quintessential blend of fall spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. This blend gives the cake its signature warm and spicy flavor.
- Vanilla Extract: Complements the pumpkin and spices, adding depth and a hint of sweetness to the overall flavor profile.
- Salt: Enhances the flavors and balances the sweetness, making the pumpkin and spices pop.
- Mini Chocolate Chips: For the “lava” part of the cake. When melted in the center, white chocolate pairs beautifully with pumpkin, creating a creamy and sweet core.
- Whipped Cream (for serving): Optional, but a dollop of whipped cream can add a cool contrast to the warm and spicy flavors of the cake.
How To Cook Pumpkin Lava Cake In Air Fryer
Pumpkin-everything season is upon us, and what better way to enjoy this flavor than with pumpkin lava cake in an air fryer?
This warm, gooey treat is the perfect addition to any fall party. It’s easy to make, so whip up some scrumptious pumpkin lava cake in your air fryer at home today! Read on for the recipe!
Step One: Prepare The Ganche
Prepare the ganache first by placing the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a small
bowl. Microwave until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Once melted, add in the vanilla and stir, then cover and place in the fridge. This needs to be refrigerated for at least 30 minutes so that it solidifies a bit to be able to be placed into the middle of the batter later.
Step Two: Prepare The Pumpkin Cake Batter
To prepare the lava cake, add the melted butter, powdered sugar, dry milk, and vanilla to a small bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
Add the egg, egg yolk, brown sugar, and pumpkin puree in a large bowl and whisk
together. Pour in the melted butter mixture and whisk together. Then add the flour,
pumpkin pie spice, and salt and whisk until combined.
Step Three: Add The Lava To The Lava Cake
Coat your two ramekins very well with some butter and flour. Pour the lava cake mixture evenly into both ramekins. Then remove the ganache from the fridge and divide it evenly between the two ramekins, spooning it into the middle of each ramekin filled with the lava cake mixture. Then, cover any exposed ganache with lava cake mixture, using a spoon. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Step Four: Air Fry The Pumpkin Lava Cakes
Preheat the oven to 320 degrees F for 3-5 minutes. Place teh cake into the air fryer and set cook time for 8-10 minutes.
Note: These should be firm, and the middle should be slightly squishy. Cool for a few minutes, then run a butter knife around the edges to loosen it from the ramekin. Flip upside down onto a plate and serve with vanilla ice cream! Or enjoy it straight from the ramekin.
Step Five: Serving
Remove and serve with your favorite toppings!
Pro Tips For Making Pumpkin Lava Cakes In Air Fryer
Making a perfect Pumpkin Lava Cake in an air fryer can be delightful and challenging. Here are some pro tips to ensure a flawless lava cake experience:
- Check for Doneness: Unlike regular cakes, the lava cake should be slightly underdone in the center to achieve that gooey, molten effect. A skewer or toothpick inserted should come out with some batter on it.
- Use Quality White Chocolate: The flavor and texture of the molten center depend largely on the quality of the white chocolate. Opt for a premium brand or couverture white chocolate for a silky, rich lava.
- Ramekin Size Matters: Using the right-sized ramekin ensures even cooking. Typically, a 6-ounce ramekin is perfect for individual servings in an air fryer.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Like a conventional oven, preheating the air fryer ensures that the cake starts cooking immediately when placed inside, resulting in a consistent texture.
- Monitor the First Attempt: As all air fryers can differ slightly, monitor the cake closely during your first attempt to figure out the ideal cooking time for your specific appliance.
- Don’t Overmix the Batter: Overmixing can lead to a denser cake. Combine the wet and dry ingredients until integrated for a lighter, fluffier texture.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Using room temperature eggs and pumpkin puree can lead to a smoother batter and even cooking.
- Ease of Removal: Lightly greasing the ramekin prevents sticking and helps achieve the perfect molten center by preventing the cake from cooking too fast against the ramekin’s sides.
- Rest Before Serving: Letting the lava cake rest for a couple of minutes after removing it from the air fryer allows the molten center to settle slightly, reducing the risk of it spilling out too quickly when cut.
- Serve with Complements: Enhance the flavor profile by serving with a dollop of vanilla ice cream, a drizzle of caramel, or even a sprinkle of sea salt on top.
Remember, making a perfect lava cake might require a trial or two, especially if you’re new to using an air fryer. But once mastered, this dessert is sure to impress!
Lava cakes are known for their gooey, molten centers, but there’s no limit to the flavor profiles you can explore! Here are some delectable variations to consider:
- Chocolate Lava Cake: The classic! Use rich dark, or semi-sweet chocolate for the batter and center for a traditional chocolate experience.
- White Chocolate Raspberry: Fill the center with white chocolate and a dollop of raspberry jam or a fresh raspberry for a tangy surprise.
- Mocha Lava Cake: Incorporate espresso or strong brewed coffee into the batter, and use chocolate for the molten center. Top with coffee beans for added flair.
- Lemon Lava Cake: Use lemon cake batter and fill with lemon curd. Garnish with lemon zest.
- Salted Caramel Lava Cake: Place a chunk of chocolate and a dollop of caramel in the center. Sprinkle with sea salt before serving.
- Red Velvet Lava Cake: Use a red velvet cake batter and fill with cream cheese or white chocolate for the molten center.
- Peanut Butter Lava Cake: Add a dollop of peanut butter in the center of a chocolate lava cake for a rich, nutty surprise.
- Matcha Lava Cake: Incorporate matcha powder into the batter for an earthy flavor and vibrant color. Use white chocolate for the center.
- Coconut Lava Cake: Mix shredded coconut into the batter and use coconut cream or chocolate for the molten center. Top with toasted coconut flakes.
- S’mores Lava Cake: Add crushed graham crackers to the batter’s base. For the center, use chocolate and place a marshmallow on top in the last few minutes of baking for a toasted finish.
- Bananas Foster Lava Cake: Place a piece of banana and a dollop of caramel in the center. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Hazelnut Lava Cake: Use chocolate batter and place a dollop of hazelnut spread (like Nutella) in the center. Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts.
- Berries and Cream Lava Cake: Use a vanilla batter and place mixed berry jam or fresh berries in the center, with a piece of white chocolate.
- Chai Spiced Lava Cake: Incorporate chai spices into the batter and use white or milk chocolate for the center. Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
These are just starting points. The joy of cooking lies in experimentation. Feel free to mix and match flavors, and create your own signature lava cake!
What gives the lava cake its molten center?
The molten center is achieved by slightly undercooking the cake, allowing the middle to remain gooey and liquid, especially when combined with fillings like chocolate.
Can I make lava cakes ahead of time and bake them later?
Yes, you can prepare the batter and fill the ramekins, then refrigerate them. However, you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly, as the batter will be cold from the refrigerator.
Can I use a microwave instead of an air fryer?
While it’s possible to make a microwave version of lava cake, the texture and cooking time will differ. Microwaves cook food differently than air fryers, so the results won’t be identical.
Why did my lava cake come out dry?
The cake might have been overcooked. It’s essential to monitor the cake closely and ensure it’s slightly jiggly in the center when done. Using a timer and knowing the exact cooking time for your specific appliance can help.
Can I freeze lava cakes?
Yes, you can freeze unbaked lava cakes in their ramekins. When you’re ready to enjoy, bake directly from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
What should I serve with my lava cake?
Lava cakes are typically served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or fresh berries. The cold contrast with the warm cake enhances the experience.
Can I make lava cakes without ramekins?
While ramekins are the traditional choice, you can also use other oven-safe molds or even muffin tins. Just be aware that the cooking time may vary based on the size and material of the container.
How do I know when my lava cake is perfectly cooked?
The edges should be set, and the center should be slightly jiggly. It’s better to err on the side of undercooking rather than overcooking to ensure a molten center.
Can I use different fillings for the molten center?
Absolutely! While chocolate is traditional, you can experiment with caramel, fruit jams, nut spreads, or even cream-based fillings for a twist.
Is there a gluten-free version of lava cake?
Yes, you can replace regular flour with almond flour, coconut flour, or a gluten-free flour blend. Ensure you adjust the quantity as needed, as these flours absorb moisture differently.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER TGIF FRIDAY’S GREEN BEAN FRIES
- AIR FRYER STEAK FRIES
- THE BEST AND EASIEST AIR FRYER FRENCH FRIES RECIPE
Air Fryer Pumpkin Lava Cake
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Lava Cake Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the ganache first by placing the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a small owl. Microwave until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Once melted, add in the vanilla and stir, then cover and place in the fridge. This needs to be refrigerated for at least 30 minutes so that it solidifies a bit to be able to be placed into the middle of the batter later.
- To prepare the lava cake, add the melted butter, powdered sugar, dry milk, and vanilla to a small bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, brown sugar, and pumpkin puree in a large bowl and whisk together. Pour in the melted butter mixture and whisk together. Then add the flour, pumpkin pie spice, and salt and whisk until combined.
- Coat your two ramekins very well with some butter and flour. Pour the lava cake mixture evenly into both ramekins.
- Then remove the ganache from the fridge and divide it evenly between the two ramekins, spooning it into the middle of each ramekin filled with the lava cake mixture. Then, cover any exposed ganache with the lava cake mixture using a spoon. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 320 degrees F for 3-5 minutes. Place teh cake into the air fryer and set cook time for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove and serve with your favorite toppings!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Ramekins, Any oven safe ramekins, any size