Air Fryer Mackerel — Mealtime doesn’t have to be a chore. You can quickly prepare a nutritious meal for your family with the right ingredients and kitchen appliances. Today we’re featuring an easy-to-make seafood dish – air fryer mackerel!
Not only is it delicious and filling, but it’s also incredibly healthy thanks to its high levels of omega-3 fatty acids. Plus, with the help of an air fryer, you can whip up this savory entrée without using a deep fryer or excessive oil. Read on for the best Air Fryer Mackerl Recipe, great for perfectly crispy mackerel that’s sure to become one of your new favorites!
What Is Mackerel
Mackerel is a saltwater fish that is found in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Oceans. It is a popular fish for consumption due to its firm and flavorful flesh. Mackerel is known for its distinct flavor, which is often described as rich, oily, and slightly sweet. It is also a good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which benefit heart health.
Mackerel can be prepared in many different ways, including grilling, baking, frying, or smoking, and is a popular ingredient in many cuisines worldwide.
Can You Cook Mackerel Fillets In Air Fryer
Yes, you can cook mackerel fillets in an air fryer. Air frying is a healthy and convenient cooking method that allows you to cook food with little to no oil, which is perfect for cooking mackerel fillets.
What Type of Mackerel Fish Are There
There are several types of mackerel fish, including:
- Atlantic mackerel: This is one of the most common species of mackerel found in the North Atlantic and is known for its oily, flavorful meat.
- Pacific mackerel: Also known as chub, or blue mackerel, this species is found in the Pacific Ocean and is a popular food fish in Japan.
- Spanish mackerel: This species is found in the western Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico and is known for its firm, white flesh.
- King mackerel: This species is found in the western Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico and is popular for sport fishing. It has a rich, oily flavor and is high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Horse mackerel: This species is found in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and is known for its white, mild-flavored meat. It is often used in canned fish products.
- Indian mackerel: This species is found in the Indian Ocean and is a popular food fish in many Asian countries. It has a rich, oily flavor and is high in omega-3 fatty acids.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fried Mackerel
Air-fried mackerel is a delicious and delicious fish that can be made and cooked in minutes in the air fryer. Mackerel fish is amazing. Its tender texture and crispy skin make it a great way to cook this delicate fish.
Remember the step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page, as well as the nutritional information.
- Fresh or Frozen Mackerel Fillet: Whole Mackerel or Mackerel Fillets
- Oil: Use high-heat oil, such as olive oil, avaoddcoo oil, or olive oil spray
- Seasonings and Spices: Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, and Turmeric powder. The seasonings and ingredients can be adjusted based on personal preferences.
Some people add spices and herbs like paprika, garlic powder, cumin powder, or dill to their mackerel fillets for extra flavor. The olive oil spray is optional but can be used if you prefer a slightly crispier texture to the fillets.
How To Cook Mackerel Fish In Air Fryer
Love the taste of fish but don’t have the time to go fishing? Why not try cooking mackerel in an air fryer and enjoy it at home instead? Mackerel is a delicious, nutrient-rich, healthy fish that can give you some amazing meals when cooked properly in an air fryer.
Step One: Prepare The Fish Filets
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200°C) for 3-5 minutes. Pat the mackerel fillets dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. Season the mackerel fillets with salt, pepper, or any other seasonings you choose.
Step Two: Air Fry Mackerel Fish
Place the seasoned mackerel fillets in the air fryer basket, making sure not to overcrowd them. If using olive oil spray, lightly spray the mackerel fillets with oil. Cook the mackerel fillets for a cooking time of 8-10 minutes, skin side down. Remove when the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F, 63 degrees C.
Step Three: Serving
Remove the mackerel fillets from the air fryer and let them rest for a few minutes. If desired, serve the mackerel fillets with lemon wedges or a drizzle of lemon juice.
Here are some pro tips for cooking mackerel in an air fryer:
- Make sure the mackerel fillets are dry before seasoning and cooking them. This will help them cook evenly and prevent them from becoming soggy.
- If using frozen mackerel fillets, make sure to thaw them completely before cooking. This will help the mackerel cook evenly and prevent it from becoming dry.
- Season the mackerel fillets with your favorite herbs and spices to add flavor. Some great options include paprika, garlic powder, dill, or lemon pepper.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. Make sure there is enough space between the mackerel fillets to allow for even cooking.
- Lightly spray the mackerel fillets with olive oil spray to help them get crispy, but be careful not to use too much oil.
- Check the mackerel fillets frequently while cooking to ensure they don’t overcook. The cooking time can vary depending on the thickness of the fillets and the air fryer model you are using.
- Let the mackerel fillets rest for a few minutes after cooking to allow the juices to distribute evenly.
What To Serve Wtih Mackerel Fish Recipe
Whether you cook a whole fish or macaekefil fillets, you can serve it with fresh lemons, soy sauce, lime wedges, or even lemon slices. I love seasoning white fish, so you can add even more rich flavor after cooking.
How to store leftover Mackerel
Store the leftover mackerel in an airtight container lined with parchment paper, and the delicate fish will last for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Best Side Dishes For Mackerel
Mackerel pairs well with a variety of side dishes, including:
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables like Brussels sprouts, carrots, and sweet potatoes complement the rich, oily flavor of mackerel.
- Salad: A light green salad with a tangy vinaigrette or citrus dressing provides a fresh contrast to the richness of mackerel.
- Quinoa or brown rice: These whole grains are a great source of fiber and protein and make a healthy, filling side dish for mackerel.
- Sautéed greens: Sautéed kale, spinach, or Swiss chard are a nutritious and flavorful side dish for mackerel.
- Grilled vegetables: Grilled zucchini, eggplant, or bell peppers add a smoky flavor and texture to mackerel.
- Baked potatoes: A baked potato topped with sour cream and chives makes a hearty and satisfying side dish for mackerel.
- Coleslaw: A tangy, vinegar-based coleslaw complements the rich flavor of mackerel and adds a refreshing crunch to the meal.
Overall, the best side dishes for mackerel are those that balance flavors and textures and are rich in nutrients.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I cook frozen mackerel fillets in an air fryer?
Yes, you can cook frozen mackerel fillets in an air fryer. However, make sure to thaw them completely before cooking to ensure even cooking.
How long does it take to cook mackerel fillets in an air fryer?
The cooking time can vary depending on the thickness of the mackerel fillets and the air fryer model you are using. Generally, it takes around 6-8 minutes to cook mackerel fillets in an air fryer.
Do I need to add oil when cooking mackerel fillets in an air fryer?
You don’t need to add oil when cooking mackerel fillets in an air fryer, but if you prefer a slightly crispier texture, you can lightly spray them with olive oil spray.
Can I season mackerel fillets before cooking them in an air fryer?
Yes, you can season mackerel fillets before cooking them in an air fryer. Some popular seasoning options include salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and lemon pepper.
How do I know when the mackerel fillets are done cooking?
The mackerel fillets are done cooking when they are cooked through, and the skin is crispy. You can check the doneness of the mackerel by cutting it into the thickest part of the fillet with a knife. The flesh should be opaque and flaky.
What can I serve with air-fried mackerel fillets?
Air-fried mackerel fillets pair well with various side dishes such as roasted vegetables, rice, quinoa, or a green salad. You can also serve them with lemon wedges or your favorite dipping sauce.
Is Mackerel Healthy?
Yes, mackerel is a healthy food choice. It is a good source of high-quality protein, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B and D, and other essential nutrients. And using an air fryer to cook a healthy meal, you will use less oil than using a large frying pan or baking sheet.
What Does Mackerel Taste Like?
Mackerel has a rich, oily flavor with a slightly fishy taste. It has a firm, meaty texture and greyish-pink flesh. Some people describe the flavor of mackerel as similar to tuna or salmon but with a stronger, more distinctive taste. The flavor and texture of mackerel can vary depending on the species, age, and location where it is caught. Generally, fresh mackerel has a mild, sweet taste and a tender texture, while older mackerel can have a stronger, fishier flavor and a tougher texture. Mackerel is known for its juicy meat and makes a healthier alternative, and the simplest way to cook mackerel is in the air fryer, with a shorter cook time.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread Recipe
- Air Fryer Texas Toast
- Easy Air Fryer Focaccia bread
- Air Fryer Sandwich Bread
Air Fryer Mackerel
- 2 mackerel fillets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200°C) for 3-5 minutes. Pat the mackerel fillets dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. Season the mackerel fillets with salt, pepper, or any other seasonings you choose.
- Place the seasoned mackerel fillets in the air fryer basket, making sure not to overcrowd them. If using olive oil spray, lightly spray the mackerel fillets with oil. Cook the mackerel fillets for a cooking time of 8-10 minutes, skin side down. Remove when the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F, 63 degrees C.
- Remove the mackerel fillets from the air fryer and let them rest for a few minutes. If desired, serve the mackerel fillets with lemon wedges or a drizzle of lemon juice.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray, optional
- Parchment Paper, optional