Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potatoes filled with brown sugar and butter make an awesome side dish for any meal. Since my Air Fryer Cheesy Hasselbacks were so popular with my readers, I always wanted to do an Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potato; today, I made a batch.
You can make these in a regular Air Fryer, Mealthy Lid, or Instant Pot Duo Crisp Lid. The recipe will work for all of them! This is a straightforward recipe, and you can really choose your fillings. I went with a classical brown sugar and butter smothering.
If you are looking for even more recipes to use your sweet potatoes, some of my favorite air fryer recipes are Air Fryer Sweet Potato Hash, of course, an Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato, and my Air Fryer Cheesy Hasselback Potatoes.
What Are Sweet Potato Hasselback Potatoes?
Sweet Potato Hasselback Potatoes are a delightful variation of the classic Hasselback potatoes, typically made using regular potatoes. In this version, sweet potatoes are used instead, adding a touch of sweetness and a rich orange color to the dish.
The preparation method remains similar to regular Hasselback potatoes. The sweet potatoes are thinly sliced but not cut all the way through, creating a fan-like appearance. They are then seasoned with herbs, spices, and oil before being baked until tender on the inside and crispy on the edges.
The result is a visually stunning dish with a wonderful contrast between the caramelized exterior and the soft interior of the sweet potato. The natural sweetness of the sweet potato pairs well with a variety of flavors, making Sweet Potato Hasselback Potatoes a popular and flavorful side dish option.
Can You Make Sweet Potato Hasselback Potatoes In Air Fryer?
Yes, you can definitely make Sweet Potato Hasselback Potatoes in an air fryer. Air fryers are well-suited for cooking sweet potatoes, and the Hasselback technique can be adapted to this cooking method for a crispy and delicious outcome.
The Best Air Fryer Sweet Potato Hasselback Recipe
As for toppings, I used classic brown sugar and butter, which is what you would find at any Outback Steakhouse Restaurant (which I love), but some other popular filings you could do for Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potatoes:
- Butter with Herbs
- Cream Cheese
- Anything you like with your sweet potatoes.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
Are you looking for a simple yet tasty side dish to add to your meal rotation? Look no further than Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potatoes! This delicious dish is not only full of flavor but also incredibly easy to make.
Not only does it require minimal ingredients, but all you need is an air fryer or oven and fifteen minutes of prep time. By following this straightforward recipe, you can have savory Hasselback Sweet Potatoes that are sure to leave your family feeling satisfied in no time. Ready? Let’s get started!
Remember the step-by-step directions and the detailed ingredient list is below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Sweet Potatoes: Vibrant and nutrient-rich, sweet potatoes are the star of this dish.
- Olive Oil: Provides a luscious coating that crisps up the sweet potato edges during air frying.
- Salt: Enhances the natural flavors of the sweet potatoes.
- Pepper: Adds a subtle kick of heat and depth to the dish.
- Optional: Herbs and Spices: Aromatic rosemary, thyme, or other herbs and spices of your choice enhance the sweet potatoes’ taste.
How To Make Hasselback Sweet Potatoes In Air Fryer
Are you tired of your regular side dishes for dinner? Do you want to try something new and delicious while still being healthy? Then why not make Hasselback sweet potatoes in an air fryer? This popular dish is easy to make, the presentation looks elegant, and it’s loaded with nutrition. You can customize this recipe however you’d like – change up the seasonings or swap out the traditional white potato for a sweeter option like yams or Japanese sweet potatoes. We’ll show you how to make this tasty treat straight from your air fryer with just a few ingredients and some simple steps. So, let’s get started creating these Hasselback Sweet Potatoes!
Step One: Preparing The Sweet Potatoes
Start by washing your sweet potatoes. Then dry them off.
Step Two: Cutting The Sweet Potato
Slice the sweet potato with slices (either use the tool or make the slices with a sharp knife about 1/4 inch.) Use olive oil, grease the potato, and add some sea salt. Place the potatoes into the air fryer basket and set the temperature to 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. (air fryer setting)
Step Three: How Long To Cook Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
After 20 minutes, brush melted butter on top, and air fry for another 20 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. (air fryer setting). Remove when fork-tender.
Step Four: Serving
While the potato finishes cooking in a small bowl, mix the melted butter with brown sugar, and when the potatoes are done, fill the cavities with the brown sugar butter mixture right before serving.
Here are some pro tips to ensure your Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potatoes turn out perfectly:
- Choose Uniform Sweet Potatoes: Select sweet potatoes that are similar in size to ensure even cooking. This way, all the slices will cook at the same rate.
- Use a Mandoline Slicer: For consistent and evenly spaced slices, consider using a mandoline slicer to cut the sweet potatoes. This can help achieve that classic Hasselback appearance.
- Prevent Slices from Going All the Way Through: To prevent accidentally slicing the sweet potatoes all the way through, place chopsticks or wooden spoons on either side of the potato while cutting. The knife will hit the chopsticks, acting as a guide.
- Thinner Slices Crisp Better: Thin slices will crisp up nicely in the air fryer, so aim for slices about 1/8 inch apart.
- Massage Oil and Seasonings In: After drizzling with olive oil and seasoning, gently massage the oil and spices between the slices to ensure an even distribution of flavor.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheating your air fryer helps kick-start the cooking process and ensures consistent results.
- Single Layer Cooking: Arrange the sweet potatoes in a single layer in the air fryer basket. If needed, cook in batches to avoid overcrowding, which could lead to uneven cooking.
- Monitor Cooking Time: Keep a close eye on the sweet potatoes as they cook. Cooking times can vary depending on your air fryer’s temperature accuracy and the size of the sweet potatoes.
- Flip for Even Crispiness: About halfway through the cooking time, carefully flip the sweet potatoes to ensure even crispiness on both sides.
- Check doneness with a Fork: To test for doneness, insert a fork or knife into the thickest part of the sweet potatoes. If they’re tender, they’re ready.
- Adjust Temperature and Time: If the sweet potatoes aren’t as crispy as you’d like, you can slightly increase the temperature or cooking time during the last few minutes.
- Let Them Rest: Allow the sweet potatoes to rest for a few minutes after cooking. This helps the flavors settle and makes them easier to handle.
By following these pro tips, you’ll achieve beautifully crispy and flavorful Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potatoes that will impress you.
Can I use regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes for this recipe?
Yes, you can use regular potatoes if you prefer. The cooking process will be similar, but sweet potatoes will bring the dish a unique sweetness and flavor.
Can I prepare the sweet potatoes ahead of time and cook them later in the air fryer?
It’s best to cut and season the sweet potatoes just before cooking to prevent them from browning. However, you can pre-cut them and keep them in water until ready to cook.
Do I need to peel the sweet potatoes before making Hasselback Sweet Potatoes? Peeling is optional. Leaving the skin on adds extra nutrients and texture, but you can peel them if you prefer.
What temperature and cooking time should I use for the air fryer?
Preheat the air fryer to around 375°F (190°C). Cooking times can vary based on the size and thickness of the sweet potatoes. Start with 20-30 minutes and adjust as needed.
How do I prevent the sweet potatoes from sticking to the air fryer basket?
Using a light coating of cooking oil on the sweet potatoes can help prevent sticking.
Can I use frozen sweet potato fries for this recipe?
It’s best to use fresh sweet potatoes for Hasselback Sweet Potatoes. Frozen fries might have added coatings or moisture that could affect the texture.
Can I use other seasonings besides salt and pepper?
Absolutely! For a unique twist, you can get creative with your seasonings, using herbs like rosemary, thyme, paprika, or even cinnamon.
How do I know when the sweet potatoes are done cooking?
Test for doneness by inserting a fork or knife into the thickest part of the sweet potato. If it goes in easily, they’re ready.
Can I make Hasselback Sweet Potatoes in batches?
Yes, you can cook in batches, but avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket to ensure even cooking.
How do I reheat leftover Hasselback Sweet Potatoes?
To reheat, place them in the air fryer for a few minutes to regain crispiness. Alternatively, you can use an oven or microwave.
|Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.|
CHARCOAL COMPANION CC2031 HASSELBACK POTATO SLICING RACK – BAKE OR GRILL DELICIOUS POTATOES IN YOUR KITCHEN OR BBQ
DO NOT FORGET TO PIN,
Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by washing your sweet potatoes. Then dry them off.
- Slice the sweet potato with slices (either use the tool or make the slices with a sharp knife about 1/4 inch.) Use olive oil and grease the potato, and add some sea salt. Place the potatoes into the air fryer basket, and set the temperature to 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. (air fryer setting)
- After 20 minutes, brush melted butter on top, and air fry for another 20 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. (air fryer setting). Remove when fork-tender.
- While the potato finishes cooking in a small bowl, mix the melted butter with brown sugar, and when the potatoes are done, fill the cavities with the brown sugar butter mixture right before serving.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer