How about this for a healthy snack. Air Fryer Cajun Roasted Chickpeas. If you went through a supermarket 4 years ago, you would never of guess that as you fast forward into the future. Ther would be dedicated space to roasted chickpeas. Now, if you head to Whole Foods, you will see a bag of roasted chickpeas selling for about $5.00.
Today, I am giving you an easy way to make roasted chickpeas in the air fryer. Today’s batch is Air Fryer Cajun Roasted Chickpeas.
They are quickly becoming one of the most favorite snacks of people looking for alternatives to chips. They are full of protein and give you that crunch that you are looking for. There are so many ways to flavor chickpeas, and I started doing a LOT of flavors due to my youngest who really loves them.
What are Chickpeas?
You probably saw chickpeas in the grocery store, They go by a few names, gram, Bengal gram, Garbanzo, garbanzo bean, and Egyptian beans. Chickpeas are legumes that are used in the many Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and Indian cuisines. They are round, beige in color, and when roasted, or air-fried they become crunchy.
One of the most common questions I get asked if people can not find chickpeas in the store is can I use Garbazono beans inside, YES, they are the same exact thing.
Why Are Chickpeas So Good For You?
The reason why everyone is air frying a batch of chickpeas is they are incredibly great for you! They are packed with protein, fiber, and other nutrients.
For vegetarians, this is a great source of protein for them, which is important for bone, muscle, and even skin health. One cup of chickpeas is equal to about one-third of the adult’s protein need per day. This helps you with reducing diabetes, helps in bone health, helps lower blood pressure, and other health ailments.
Chickpeas and Weight Loss:
These are great for helping you lose weight. Both the protein and the fiber found in chickpeas help you feel full and help you with weight control.
Air Frying Chickpeas, Tricks For Getting Them Crunchy-
I have been air frying chickpeas for a number of years, I can give you some basic hints that helped me get crunchy chickpeas.
- Drain the chickpeas. I like using canned chickpeas, they are rather inexpensive and they are easy to store in the pantry. Drain them well, leave them for about 30 minutes in a colander, let them get as dry as they can.
- After you drain them, place them out to dry on a kitchen towel, leave them for about 20-30 minutes, let as much moisture from the beans get out, this is one of the secrets to get CRUNCHY air fryer chickpeas.
- Then they need to be coated with olive oil. If the recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of olive oil and you notice they are dry before you add them to the air fryer, they will NEVER get crunchy. So use your own judgment and add more olive oil. Make sure that every chickpea is coated in olive oil, this will help them crisp up.
- Season, season, and season them more. I always add extra seasoning, I like mine flavorful. So, they come out of the air fryer, I am still adding more seasoning, as you eat them, do you think they need more salt? Add more salt.
Storing Air Frying Chickpeas-
Now that bad news, you made a great batch, and you didn’t eat them all. What do you do? The first thing, they will stay good for about a day, in a sealed container. But, they will slowly start to lose their crunchy, so by the second day, toss them, and make a new batch.
Here are some of My Other Favorite Air Fryer Chickpeas Recipes–
Ingredients Used In Air Fryer Cajun Roasted Chickpeas-
- Canned chickpeas
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
How to Make Air Fryer Cajun Roasted Chickpeas-
Start by draining the chickpeas. Second, drain them really well, Third, place them on a kitchen towel for about 20-30 minutes, to get most of the liquid out.
Then mix together. Follow the directions in the recipe below.
A great set for any air fryer, which really increases the items you can make in your air fryer–
Don’t Forget to Pin Air Fryer Cajun Roasted Chickpeas–
Air Fryer Roasted Cajun Chickpeas
This is a really & healthy snack, just add some herbs and toss it onto the air fryer for a great and healthy snack alternative.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Start by draining the chickpeas. Make sure they are fully drained.
- Mix in the oil, and then mix in the spices.
- Then spread the chickpeas into the air fryer basket, set the 350 degrees F temperature to and set the 8 minutes Shake the basket, after 4 minutes.
- When the time is up, pour into a bowl. Add some additional salt (about 1/2 teaspoon) and enjoy it!
Keywords: air fryer parmesan chickpeas air fryer chickpeas ranch oil free air fried chickpeas honey roasted chickpeas in air fryer salt and vinegar chickpeas air fryer chickpea fries air fryer ninja foodi chickpeas skinnytaste air fryer chickpeas