This is the best Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich ever! Skip the skillet and make this air fryer grilled cheese instead! It is a cheesy and delicious grilled cheese with mayo that has buttery toasted bread and melted cheese filling.
Slice and serve for a snack, dinner, lunch, or even pair with a big bowl of tomato soup.
This might be one of the most delicious things I have ever made. It was one of the easiest dinners I have made thus far in the air fryer. While I do love a traditional grilled cheese, when you cook grilled cheese in the air fryer it’s just different…like AMAZING different!
When you air fry grilled cheese, it’s fast and there is much less room for error. If you are craving some comfort food, be sure to check out my Air Fryer Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich!! Another favorite is my Air Fryer Chicken and Gravy Biscuit Sandwich.
Why You’ll Love Grilled Cheese In The Air Fryer
- Only 3 ingredients
- 10 minute recipe
- The bread toasts beautifully
- Easy to customize
Why Do They Call It A Grilled Cheese
A grilled cheese sandwich is just like it sounds. It’s a cheese sandwich that has been grilled to give you a crispy buttery crust. The difference is that we are making a grilled cheese air fryer recipe instead. No need for a skillet!
How To Make An Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Step 1: Prepare the bread
Start by spreading mayonnaise or butter to each side of the bread. I like to place my grilled cheese on a trivet. Place one slice of bread (mayo side down) and 2 pieces of cheese on top of the bread.
Step 2: Air fry grilled cheese
Put the other slice of bread down. Place 4 toothpicks in each corner of the bread—set temperature to 400 degrees F and air fry for 5 minutes. Flip the grilled cheese with mayo and cook for another 3 minutes.
Tips For The Perfect Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Don’t add too much to the basket. Overcrowding the air fryer basket will affect the results. Instead, leave space around sandwiches so the air can circulate correctly.
- Go for thick bread. In a pinch, you can opt for thin bread, but whenever possible reach for bread that has some bulk to it. Texas toast works wonderfully!
- Make sure not to saturate the bread with the mayo or it will be more soggy and won’t toast up the way.
- Don’t forget the toothpicks. I know it’s tempting to skip them, but the bread may fly off if you don’t secure it.
- Use the cooking time as a guide. Depending on bread thickness, the sandwiches can cook faster or slower than in the recipe card. So it’s important when you air fry a grilled cheese sandwich that you keep a close watch so things stay toasty, not burnt.
Do I Have To Make Grilled Cheese With Mayo?
Mayonnaise really gives this grilled cheese, an incredible flavor and makes the bread nice and crispy. But, if you prefer to skip it, go right ahead and reach for butter or a butter replacement. Many people love the slight change in flavor the mayo gives the grilled cheese in the air fryer. It isn’t a huge difference, but it’s enough to be a little different.
Can I Add Meat To Air Fryer Grilled Cheese?
Want to transform your grilled cheese into a grilled ham and cheese? Or you might want to use up some leftover turkey from the holidays. Go ahead and pile on any of your favorite meats for added flavor to your sandwich.
Does Grilled Cheese With Mayo Store Well?
Unfortunately, no. You will find this sandwich is best served fresh and warm. Otherwise, your sandwich will lose the crispy texture you know and love from this sandwich.
I recommend making these when you want to eat them.
What Goes Good On This Grilled Cheese Air Fryer Recipe?
- Caramelized onions
- Ham, turkey, etc
- Sliced tomato
Feel free to add more layers of flavor to your grilled cheese sandwich. Get creative and enjoy a fun and delicious recipe for you to serve up your family.
What is the difference between a grilled cheese and a melt?
Air Fryer grilled cheese and melts are very similar. The biggest difference is a melt tends to have other ingredients besides bread, mayo, and cheese. Melts tend to have items like tuna, other meats, etc.
What To Serve With An Air Fried Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- French Fries
- Fruit Salad
We tend to serve this grilled cheese air fryer recipe with something simple, like chips and a pickle, or soup.
How Does An Air Fryer Work?
An air fryer is a small kitchen device that operates by hot air spinning around the food, causing it to crisp up.
The hot air from the heating element and the fan blows around the food, cooking it up. Since the size of the air fryer is smaller than an oven, the air fryer cooks the food so much quicker.
What Is The Best Air Fryer For Making An Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
Any variety of air fryer you have should work. I have used many air fryer models and love them all. One of them I love that is reasonably priced is this Instant Vortex Plus Air Fryer 6 in 1.
- 4 pieces bread (any type)
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Start by laying down the bread.
- Spread mayonnaise on the bread.
- Place the trivet inside the air fryer basket.
- Place one slice of bread (mayo side down) and 2 pieces of cheese on top of the bread.
- Put the other slice of bread down.
- Place 4 toothpicks on each corner of the bread.
- Set temperature for 400 degrees F for 5 minutes, air fryer setting.
- Flip and add another 3 minutes.
- Remove from air fryer.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 557Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 805mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 18g