Air Fryer Tres Leches Cupcakes — If you’re looking for a delicious and unique dessert to make in your air fryer, look no further than these air fryer Tres Leches cupcakes!
These cupcakes are made with a light and fluffy cake base and are topped with creamy tres leches frosting. They’re the perfect dessert for any occasion!
We all know that the best part of a cupcake is the frosting. But what about a cupcake where the frosting is the cake? This air fryer tres leches cupcakes take your ordinary vanilla cupcake into a fantastic, fluffy dessert that will make your taste buds rejoice. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have these delicious little treats ready to enjoy in no time. So what are you waiting for? Start baking!
What Are Tres Leches Cupcakes?
Today, we’ll discuss a Latin American dessert called tres leches cupcakes. In Spanish, “tres leches” means “three milks.” So what are these mysterious milk-soaked cakes? Let’s find out!
Tres leches cupcakes are spongy vanilla cupcakes soaked in a mixture of three different types of milk: evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and whole milk. This combination of milk creates a rich and creamy cake that’s irresistible. Adding whipped cream and berries on top makes these little cakes look extra pretty. If you’re looking for a delicious and decadent dessert to impress your guests, then tres leches cupcakes are perfect!
Why You Will Love This Recipe!
You will love this Air Fryer Tres Leches Cupcakes recipe because it offers a delightful twist on the classic Tres Leches cake in a convenient and individual cupcake form. These cupcakes are incredibly moist, soaked in a sweet, creamy three-milk mixture, and topped with a luscious whipped cream frosting.
The air fryer ensures that the cupcakes bake evenly and develop a slightly crispy exterior, perfectly contrasting the creamy interior. They are a delightful treat for any occasion, from family gatherings to special celebrations, and are sure to impress with their rich, decadent flavor and texture.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Tres Leches Cupcakes
Air Fryer Tres Leches Cupcakes are a delightful twist on the classic Tres Leches cake, offering individual-sized portions of moist, milk-soaked cupcakes with a luscious whipped cream topping. This recipe takes the beloved Latin dessert to new heights by incorporating the air fryer for a perfectly baked exterior and a heavenly, creamy interior.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- All-Purpose Flour: The foundation of the cupcakes, all-purpose flour provides structure and texture.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder acts as the leavening agent, helping the cupcakes rise and become light and fluffy.
- Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the flavor of the cupcakes and balances the sweetness.
- Eggs: Eggs add moisture, richness, and structure to the cupcake batter.
- Granulated Sugar: Sugar sweetens the cupcakes and contributes to their moistness
- Evaporated Milk: Is a key component in the Tres Leches mixture, providing richness and creaminess.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: Sweetened condensed milk makes the Tres Leches mixture sweet, creamy, and decadent.
- Milk: Whole milk is a key component in the Tres Leches mixture, providing richness and creaminess.
- Whipped Cream: Whipped cream is whipped to create a luxurious cupcake topping.
- Ground Cinnamon (Optional): Ground cinnamon can be added for a hint of warm, aromatic flavor.
- Strawberries: Serve as a delightful garnish, adding a pop of color and a touch of sweetness.
How To Make Air Fryer Tres Leches Cupcakes
To make Air Fryer Tres Leches Cupcakes, follow these steps:
Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the egg yolks and ¾ cup of sugar to a separate bowl. Mix until creamy and smooth. Stir in ⅓ cup of milk and vanilla extract until combined.
Add the flour mixture into the egg yolk mix and stir until just mixed through.
Beat the egg whites with an electric or stand mixer on high in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add the remaining granulated sugar and continue to beat until the peaks stiffen.
Fold the egg whites into the batter until just combined.
Fill silicone cupcake liners ⅔ full. Place several cupcakes in your air fryer basket and set the air fryer on air fry at 320 degrees F. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until your cupcakes are cooked through. Work in batches until all batter is used.
Meanwhile, mix the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and remaining milk in a large bowl.
Allow cupcakes to cool. Use a toothpick to poke holes in each cupcake and pour two tablespoons of the milk mixture over each cupcake to absorb.
Refrigerate the cupcakes for 2 hours or overnight. When ready to serve, spread or pipe the whipped cream onto each cupcake, dust with the ground cinnamon, and garnish with a strawberry slice per cupcake.
Here are some pro tips to ensure your Air Fryer Tres Leches Cupcakes turn out perfectly:
- Room Temperature Eggs: Use eggs at room temperature for the cupcake batter. This helps the eggs incorporate better with the other ingredients and creates a smoother batter.
- Don’t Overmix: When combining the wet and dry ingredients for the cupcakes, mix until just combined. Overmixing can lead to a denser texture.
- Even Cupcake Liners: Ensure you fill each cupcake liner with an equal amount of batter to achieve uniform-sized cupcakes.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheating your air fryer is crucial to achieving even and consistent baking. Allow it to preheat for a few minutes before placing the cupcakes inside.
- Use a Toothpick Test: To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake. The cupcakes are ready if it comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs.
- Let Them Cool: After air frying, allow the cupcakes to cool slightly before removing them from the cupcake tin. This makes them easier to handle.
- Poke Holes While Warm: While the cupcakes are still warm, use a fork or skewer to poke several holes in each cupcake. This will help them absorb the Tres Leches mixture effectively.
- Soaking Time: Be patient during the soaking process. Let the cupcakes absorb the Tres Leches mixture for at least 30 minutes. You can refrigerate them for a few hours or overnight for enhanced flavor.
- Stiff Peaks: Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. This means the whipped cream will hold its shape well when piped or spooned onto the cupcakes.
- Optional Garnishes: Feel free to get creative with garnishes. You can sprinkle ground cinnamon, drizzle caramel sauce, or use fresh berries in addition to or instead of cherries and mint leaves.
- Chill Before Serving: For the best taste and texture, refrigerate the Tres Leches Cupcakes for at least a few hours before serving. Chilling allows the flavors to meld and the cupcakes to become even more moist.
By following these pro tips, you’ll create Air Fryer Tres Leches Cupcakes that are beautifully moist, flavorful, and sure to impress your family and friends. Enjoy!
Can I use regular milk instead of evaporated milk? While traditional Tres Leches recipes call for evaporated milk, you can experiment with other types of milk, such as whole or almond milk, for a different flavor profile. Remember that the richness and sweetness may vary depending on the type of milk used.
How long should I soak the cupcakes? The soaking time can vary depending on personal preference. Some people prefer to soak the cupcakes for a shorter time to maintain a firmer texture, while others like to soak them longer for a softer, custard-like consistency. Typically, soaking for 15-30 minutes is a good starting point.
Can I make Tres Leches Cupcakes in advance? Yes, you can make Tres Leches Cupcakes in advance. They often taste better when allowed to chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight, allowing the flavors to meld and the cupcakes to absorb the milk mixture fully.
How should I store Tres Leches Cupcakes? Store Tres Leches Cupcakes in the refrigerator to keep them fresh. Cover them with plastic wrap or store them in an airtight container to prevent them from drying out. They can be stored for up to 2-3 days.
Can I add other flavorings or toppings to Tres Leches Cupcakes? You can get creative with your Tres Leches Cupcakes by adding flavorings like vanilla extract, almond extract, or a hint of cinnamon to the milk mixture. You can also top them with whipped cream, fresh fruit, or a sprinkle of cinnamon for extra flavor and presentation.
Are Tres Leches Cupcakes gluten-free? Tres Leches Cupcakes are not typically gluten-free as they contain wheat flour. However, you can explore gluten-free alternatives using a gluten-free flour blend for the cupcakes.
Can I make Tres Leches Cupcakes dairy-free? Yes, you can make dairy-free Tres Leches Cupcakes by using non-dairy milk alternatives such as coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, and non-dairy whipped cream for the topping. Check for dairy-free condensed and evaporated milk versions, or make your own ones at home.
Are Tres Leches Cupcakes suitable for special occasions? Absolutely! Tres Leches Cupcakes are perfect for special occasions like birthdays, celebrations, or gatherings. Their sweet and creamy texture makes them a delightful treat for any festive event.
Can I make mini Tres Leches Cupcakes instead of full-sized ones? You can make mini Tres Leches Cupcakes using a mini cupcake pan. Adjust the baking time accordingly, as mini cupcakes will bake faster than full-sized ones.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER 2-INGREDIENT OREO MUG CAKE
- BEST AIR FRYER MUG CAKE RECIPES FOR A SUPER EASY TREAT
- AIR FRYER LEMON MUG CAKE
- AIR FRYER M&M MUG COOKIE
Don’t Forget To Pin!
Air Fryer Tres Leches Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 12 ounces evaporated milk, canned
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk, canned
- 2/3 cup milk
- 16 ounces whipped cream
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, garnishing
- 1 cup strawberries, garnishing
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt
- Add the egg yolks and ¾ cup of sugar to a separate bowl. Mix together until creamy and smooth. Stir in ⅓ cup of milk and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the flour mixture into the egg yolk mix and stir until just mixed through.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric or stand mixer on high in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add the remaining granulated sugar and continue to beat until the peaks stiffen
- Fold the egg whites into the batter until just combined.
- Fill silicone cupcake liners ⅔ full. Place several cupcakes in your air fryer basket and set the air fryer on air fry at 320 degrees F. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until your cupcakes are cooked through. Work in batches until all batter is used.
- Meanwhile, mix the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and remaining milk in a large bowl.
- Let the cupcakes cool. Use a toothpick to poke holes in each cupcake and pour two tablespoons of the milk mixture over each cupcake to absorb.
- Refrigerate the cupcakes for 2 hours or overnight. When ready to serve, spread or pipe the whipped cream onto each cupcake, dust with the ground cinnamon, and garnish with a strawberry slice per cupcake.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Silicone Liners, or small oven-safe ramekins
- Cooking Spray