Air Fryer Trader Joe’s Frozen Potato Tots — Are you looking for a simple way to make your favorite Trader Joe’s frozen potato tots with minimal mess and effort?
If so, an air fryer is the perfect tool to help you get delicious results in just minutes. Air frying has become increasingly popular as a quick and easy cooking method for busy weeknights or even when you want more than your regular oven-baked potatoes.
It is healthier since it reduces oil usage, but the hot circulating air quickly crisps up the outside of food items like frozen tots without drying them out on the inside. In this blog post, we’ll share our tried-and-true methods for making tasty Trader Joe’s Frozen Potato Tots with an air fryer!
What Are Trader Joe’s Trader Potato Tots
Trader Joe’s has long been a treasure trove of unique and mouth-watering products that cater to the discerning tastes of food lovers everywhere. The Trader Potato Tots stand out as a delightful treat among their vast offerings.
These crispy, golden nuggets, reminiscent of childhood lunchtimes, bring a modern twist to a classic favorite. Not just your ordinary potato bites, Trader Joe’s has infused these tots with their signature quality and flavor, making them an instant hit for both the young and the young at heart. Dive in as we explore what makes these Trader Potato Tots a must-have from the renowned Trader Joe’s lineup.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Trader Joe’s Frozen Potato Tots
If you’re anything like me, the idea of making potato tots from scratch is enough to send chills down your spine! It’s a lot of work and can be messy. That’s why Trader Joe’s frozen potato tots are such an incredibly convenient convenience food. You have to throw them in the air fryer, and they’re ready soon!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
The ingredient list is quite straightforward for cooking Trader Joe’s Trader Potato Tots in an air fryer. However, let’s add a bit of detail to each one:
- Trader Joe’s Trader Potato Tots: The star of the show! These tots blend seasoned potatoes shaped into perfect little nuggets, designed to become crispy delights when cooked.
- Cooking Spray: A light spritz ensures the tots don’t stick to the air fryer basket and helps achieve that desirable crispy texture. Opt for olive or avocado oil spray for a healthier choice.
- Salt (optional): While the Trader Potato Tots come seasoned, you might want to have some salt on hand to sprinkle over them after they’re cooked, adjusting the taste to your preference.
- Dipping Sauce (optional): Whether it’s ketchup, aioli, or spicy mayo, a complementary sauce can elevate the flavor of these tots, making the eating experience even more delightful.
Remember, the key to these ingredients is simplicity. The Trader Joe’s Trader Potato Tots already come seasoned and ready to be cooked, so you don’t need much to enjoy them to their fullest!
How To Cook Trader Joe’s Frozen Potato Tots In Air Fryer
Are you looking for a delicious snack that will satisfy your cravings, is easy to make, and won’t break the bank?
Look no further than Trader Joe’s Frozen Potato Tots. These potato gems are pre-cooked, crispy on the outside, and filled with cheesy flavor inside.
But if you’d like to spice up your meal variations – why not try cooking them in an air fryer instead of traditional oven baking? Air fryers allow you to achieve maximum crispiness while using less fat due to their high-circulation heat system. In this blog post, we’ll explore how simple it can be to create crowd-pleasers out of these little fries by offering step-by-step instructions on how to cook them in an air fryer!
Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F (200°C). While many modern air fryers claim you don’t need to preheat, doing so often ensures consistent results.
Prep the Basket: Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. This will prevent the tots from sticking and help them get a golden exterior.
Arrange the Tots: Place the frozen Trader Joe’s Potato Tots in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring they aren’t overcrowded. It’s crucial to avoid stacking or overcrowding so they cook evenly and get crispy. You may need to cook in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
Cook: Air fry the tots at 400°F (200°C) with a cook time of 10-12 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, give the basket a shake or use tongs to turn the tots, ensuring they brown evenly on all sides.
Check for Doneness: Once the tots are golden brown and crispy to your liking, they’re ready. If you prefer extra crispy, you can cook them for 1-2 minutes.
Season (optional): After removing the tots from the air fryer, sprinkle them with a bit of salt if desired.
Serve: Serve the hot tots immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
Enjoy your perfectly crispy Trader Joe’s Potato Tots without the added oil of traditional frying methods!
Pro Tips For Cooking Trader Joe’s Frozen Potato Tots In Air Fryer
Here are some pro tips to ensure you get the best results when cooking Trader Joe’s Frozen Potato Tots in your air fryer:
- No Overcrowding: Always make sure the tots are in a single layer with some space around each one. Overcrowding can cause uneven cooking and less crispy results.
- Shake, Don’t Stir: Halfway through the cooking, shake the air fryer basket instead of stirring. Shaking helps the tots turn over more evenly.
- Keep it Dry: If you want extra crispy tots, pat them dry with a paper towel before placing them in the air fryer. Removing excess moisture helps achieve a crisper result.
- Season After Cooking: If you’re adding extra seasonings, it’s often best to season after cooking. The hot, freshly air-fried surface helps the seasonings adhere better.
- Use Accessories: Consider using air fryer parchment paper or an air fryer silicone pot. These accessories can help reduce cleanup and prevent smaller pieces from falling through the basket.
- Reheat with Precision: The air fryer is perfect for reheating if you have leftover tots. Just air fry at 400°F (200°C) for 2-3 minutes to return the crispiness.
- Experiment with Flavors: Once you’ve mastered the basic cooking method, don’t hesitate to get creative. Try seasoning with garlic powder, paprika, or some grated parmesan for an extra flavor kick.
- Monitor the First Batch: Different air fryers can have slight variations in cooking. It’s a good idea to keep a closer eye on the first batch to understand the exact timing for your specific model.
With these pro tips in hand, you’ll be well on your way to achieving potato tot perfection every time you cook!
What makes Trader Joe’s Potato Tots different from other brands?
Trader Joe’s is known for its quality ingredients and unique flavor profiles. Their potato tots often have a distinct seasoning blend that sets them apart from other brands.
Can I bake or pan-fry Trader Joe’s Potato Tots instead of using an air fryer?
Absolutely! While air frying offers a crispier result with less oil, you can follow the cooking instructions on the packaging for alternative methods.
Are Trader Joe’s Potato Tots gluten-free?
You should always check the packaging for the most accurate ingredient and allergen information. Trader Joe’s often offers gluten-free products, but it’s essential to verify before consuming.
How do I store leftover air-fried potato tots?
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, it’s best to use the air fryer again to retain the crispiness.
Can I add additional seasonings to the tots before air frying?
Yes, feel free to season them to your preference. Some popular seasonings include garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or even grated Parmesan.
Are these potato tots vegan?
Most potato tots are vegan-friendly, but always review the ingredient list on the packaging to be certain.
How long do Trader Joe’s Potato Tots last in the freezer?
If kept in their original sealed package and stored properly, they should last in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Can I use these potato tots in other dishes?
Certainly! They can be incorporated into various recipes, such as breakfast casseroles, tot nachos, or even as a crunchy topping for soups.
Why are my potato tots soggy from the air fryer?
Overcrowding the basket can lead to less crispy tots. Ensure they are placed in a single layer and not stacked on top of each other. Also, preheating the air fryer can help achieve a crispier result.
Are there other flavors or variations of potato tots at Trader Joe’s?
Trader Joe’s is known for its seasonal and rotating products. It’s always a good idea to check their frozen section for new or seasonal variations of popular items like potato tots.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER TGIF FRIDAY’S GREEN BEAN FRIES
- AIR FRYER STEAK FRIES
- EASY AIR FRYER MACARONI AND CHEESE BALLS
- THE BEST AND EASIEST AIR FRYER FRENCH FRIES RECIPE
Air Fryer Trader Joe’s Frozen Potato Tots
- 12 ounces Trader Joe's Potato Tots
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, optional
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Begin by preheating your air fryer to 400°F (200°C). While many modern air fryers claim you don’t need to preheat, doing so often ensures consistent results.
- Prep the Basket: Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. This will prevent the tots from sticking and help them get a golden exterior.
- Arrange the Tots: Place the frozen Trader Joe’s Potato Tots in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring they aren’t overcrowded. It’s crucial to avoid stacking or overcrowding so they cook evenly and get crispy. You may need to cook in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Cook: Air fry the tots at 400°F (200°C) for about 10-12 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, give the basket a shake or use tongs to turn the tots, ensuring they brown evenly on all sides.
- Check for Doneness: Once the tots are golden brown and crispy to your liking, they’re ready. If you prefer them extra crispy, you can cook them for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Season (optional): After removing the tots from the air fryer, sprinkle them with a bit of salt if desired.
- Serve: Serve the hot tots immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional