Air Fryer Crispy Cheese Twist — Crunchy, cheesy, and oh-so-savory – the air fryer cheese twist is a crowd favorite! Not only is it delicious, but you can whip up this scrumptious snack in no time. It’s even better when served with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.
So if you’re looking for an easy way to wow your guests or satisfy your cravings for something cheesy and crunchy, try this air fryer crispy cheese twist recipe! We guarantee these cheese twists will become a staple in your house once you taste them…
What Are Cheese Straws?
Cheese straws are a savory snack that is popular in the Southern United States, as well as in other parts of the world. They are typically made by mixing grated cheese, butter, flour, salt, and sometimes other spices, into a dough which is then rolled out into thin strips and baked until crisp and golden brown.
The end result is a crispy, crunchy snack that has a strong cheesy flavor and a satisfying crunch. Cheese straws can be served as a standalone snack, as an accompaniment to soup or salad, or as a party appetizer. They are often enjoyed with a glass of wine or beer and can be made with a variety of different cheeses and seasonings to suit different tastes.
Why You Will Love This Air Fryer Crispy Cheese Twist Recipe
- Great Party Recipe! Perfect for game day or a quick after-school snack.
- Family Favorite!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Crispy Cheese Twist
Do you love a snack that is crunchy, cheesy, and full of flavor? If so, I have the perfect recipe for you! Today, I will show you how to make delicious Air Fryer Crispy Cheese Twists.
These little treats are made with puff pastry dough and filled with simple ingredients like cheese and spices. Not only are they tasty, but they are also easy to make! So get ready for an original twist on snacking – this air fryer version of crispy cheese twists will surely delight your family or guests!
Remember the step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card, at the bottom of the page, as well as the nutritional information.
- Puff Pastry: Thawed and cold.
- Cheese: I used a blend of Parmesan Cheese and Asiago Cheese for the best cheese flavor.
- Seasonings and Spices: Italian Seasoning, Kosher Salt, and Balck Pepper
- Egg Wash: Egg and Water
How To Cook Cheese Twist In Air Fryer
Cheese Twist has always been one of my family’s favorite snacks. It’s a delicious, flavorful treat that can be enjoyed as an appetizer, snack, or even part of a meal. Recently, I decided to try and cook up some Cheese Twists in my Air Fryer, and it was definitely worth the effort! Below, I will share with you not just how to make them but also why it is such an easy solution for making your own cheese twists at home. Get ready to tantalize your taste buds — because cheesy goodness awaits!
Step One: Prepare The Egg Wash
Spray your air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Start by making the egg wash. Mix the egg and water in a small mixing bowl, and beat with a fork until fluffy; set aside.
Step Two: Assemble The Cheese Twists
Layout your puff pastry on a flat surface, and then brush the egg wash over the puff pastry using a pastry brush. Sprinkle the cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Foll the puff pastry in half.
Step Three: Cut The Cheese Twists
Using a pizza cutter, cut the filled puff pastry into long strips. Then twist the dough a few times, and it will curl for you. Place the cheese twist onto the basket, and sprinkle some Italian seasoning.
Step Four: Air Fry Cheese Twists
Set the temperature to 350 degrees F and the cooking time for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway.
Step Five: Serving
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Cheese twists are a delicious and easy snack that can be made in an air fryer. Here are some pro tips to help you achieve perfect cheese twists every time:
- Use puff pastry: Puff pastry is the best dough for cheese twists as it rises and puffs up in the air fryer, resulting in a light and flaky texture. You can either make your own puff pastry or use store-bought.
- Chill the dough: Before cutting the puff pastry into strips, chill it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. This will help the pastry hold its shape and prevent it from becoming too soft in the air fryer.
- Brush with egg wash: Brush the cheese twists before air frying them. This will give them a nice golden color and help them crisp up in the air fryer.
- Don’t overload the air fryer: Arrange the cheese twists in a single layer in the basket and ensure enough space between each twist to cook evenly.
- Check frequently: Keep an eye on the cheese twists as they cook in the air fryer, and check them frequently to prevent them from burning.
- Let them cool: Once the cheese twists are cooked, let them cool for a few minutes before serving. This will help them crisp up even more and prevent any burning to your mouth.
Following these tips, you can make delicious cheese twists in your air fryer that are crispy and cheesy on the inside.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use different types of cheese for my cheese twists?
Yes, you can use different types of cheese for your cheese twists to suit your tastes. Cheddar, parmesan, and gruyere are popular choices, but you can experiment with other cheeses as well.
Do I need to thaw the puff pastry before using it in the air fryer?
Yes, you should thaw the puff pastry according to the package instructions before using it to make cheese twists. This will ensure that the pastry is easy to work with and cooks evenly in the air fryer.
Can I make cheese twists ahead of time and reheat them in the air fryer?
Yes, you can make cheese twists ahead of time and reheat them in the air fryer. To reheat them, simply place them in the air fryer basket and cook for a few minutes until heated through and crispy.
Can I freeze cheese twists before cooking them in the air fryer?
Yes, you can freeze cheese twists before cooking them in the air fryer. To freeze them, place them on a baking sheet and freeze them until solid. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. To cook them, place the frozen cheese twists in the air fryer and cook for a few extra minutes until heated through and crispy.
How do I store leftover crispy cheese twists?
To store leftover cheese twists, place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat them, place them in the air fryer and cook for a few minutes until heated through and crispy.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread Recipe
- Air Fryer Texas Toast
- Easy Air Fryer Focaccia bread
- Air Fryer Sandwich Bread
Air Fryer Crispy Cheese Twist
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water, cold
- Spray your air fryer basket with olive oil spray.
- Start by making the egg wash. Mix the egg and water in a small mixing bowl, and beat with a fork until fluffy.
- Layout your puff pastry on a flat surface, and then brush the egg wash over the puff pastry using a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle the cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Fold the puff pastry in half.
- Then twist the dough a few times, and it will curl for you.
- Place the cheese twist onto the basket, and sprinkle some Italian seasoning on top.
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F cooking time for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray