Air Fryer Churros — The air fryer is a fantastic kitchen appliance that can cook anything from chicken nuggets to french fries. But what about when you want something sweet? It’s time to break out the air fryer churros!
These yummy treats are perfect for breakfast or dessert, and they’ll be done in less than 10 minutes. And don’t worry, these will still taste like they came fresh from a street vendor cart in Mexico City. So grab your ingredients and prepare some delicious Churros with Air Fryer!
There is nothing like a hot and delicious Air Fryer Churros for a quick afternoon snack break, gobbled up by the kids. Coated with cinnamon and sugar, it’s a unique and easy treat with the help of your air fryer.
If you love homemade baked goods, this is the perfect treat. Covered with cinnamon and sugar, it’s so delicious, and it’s a family favorite. We enjoyed these for months, and I finally had time to sit down and write this up.
What Is A Churro?
If you have not heard of a churro, they are Mexican pastries. Taco Bell used to sell them years ago, and my kids truly fell in love with them. I mean, who wouldn’t love a pastry coated with granulated sugar and ground cinnamon? You can even dip it into a chocolate sauce for the ultimate dessert.
A churro is typically deep-fried. Homemade air fryer churros are air-fried. You still get the fantastic flavor and the same crunch, but much healthier than the deep-fried version.
The secret to a great churro is that you have to pipe the dough, which is relatively easy, assuming that you have the correct tool; I picked this one up on Amazon, affiliate link:
How To Make Churros
Making air fryer churros is a breeze. Once you make the dough and pipe it, there is little to do, but air fry them and, of course, eat them.
The secret is to lay them out and refrigerate them to stay in proper churro form. So, always allow at least an hour for refrigeration.
Ingredients Needed To Make Air Fryer Churros
These ingredients come together to create delicious and crispy Air Fryer Churros with a delightful cinnamon-sugar coating, perfect for a sweet treat.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Water: Water is used as the liquid component to create the churro dough.
- Unsalted butter, cut into cubes: Butter adds richness and flavor to the churro dough, making it tender and delicious.
- Granulated sugar: Granulated sugar provides sweetness to the churro dough.
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavor of the dough and balances the sweetness.
- All-purpose flour: All-purpose flour is the base ingredient for the churro dough, providing structure and texture.
- Large eggs: Eggs act as binders and help give the churros their texture.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract adds a delightful aroma and flavor to the churros.
- Olive oil spray: Olive oil spray coats the churros before air frying, helping them achieve a crispy texture.
- Granulated sugar: Granulated sugar is used in the coating mixture to add sweetness to the churros.
- Ground cinnamon: Ground cinnamon is combined with sugar for a classic churro coating, providing a warm and aromatic flavor.
How To Make Churros In An Air Fryer
In a saucepan, add the water, butter, sugar, and salt. Bring to a slow simmer.
Continue to simmer and then add flour to the saucepan.
Stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, cook until the dough comes together and is smooth.
Remove the dough from the stove and place the dough in a mixing bowl. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Mix the eggs and vanilla extract into the bowl, and use an electric hand mixer or mix until the dough forms.
Pipe churros onto the greased baking sheet (or a sheet lined with wax paper) into 4 to 5-inch lengths. Refrigerate the churros until cold and solid, about an hour. Then place the hard churros into a greased air fryer basket. Be careful not to crowd the basket.
Air fry at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes until golden brown (air fryer setting)
Air fry at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. In a small bowl, mix the sugar and ground cinnamon. When the churros are done air frying, coat them with the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- If you do not have a churro tool, use a piping bag. You can find disposable ones on Amazon and then use the piping tip number Ateco 5, which will give you the distinct shape of a classic churro.
- For the churros to air fry well, they really need to be solid. I would give yourself at least an hour before attempting to air fry them.
- Do not crowd the air fryer basket. Otherwise, they will not crips up; you will end up with soggy churros.
- Best served hot. Cold churros are not the same.
- I used chocolate sauce, but you can use anything or eat them plain.
Can I make churros in the air fryer?
Yes, you can make churros in the air fryer. It’s a convenient and healthier alternative to deep frying while still achieving a crispy texture.
What type of dough is used for air fryer churros?
The dough for air fryer churros typically includes water, butter, sugar, salt, flour, eggs, and vanilla extract. It’s similar to a pâte à choux dough.
How do I shape the churros for air frying?
Churros are usually piped into long, thin strips using a star-shaped pastry tip or a plastic bag with a corner snipped off. You can shape them to your desired length.
What’s the advantage of using the air fryer for churros?
Using the air fryer for churros results in a crispy exterior with less oil compared to deep frying. It’s also a quicker and cleaner method.
How do I prevent the churros from sticking to the air fryer basket?
Lightly coat the churros with olive oil spray or cooking spray before placing them in the air fryer basket to prevent sticking.
What temperature should I set the air fryer to for churros?
Preheat the air fryer to around 375°F (190°C) for cooking churros.
How long do I air fry churros, and how do I know they’re done?
Air fry the churros for about 8-10 minutes, turning them halfway through cooking. They should be golden brown and crispy when done.
Can I make a cinnamon-sugar coating for the churros?
Yes, you can make a cinnamon-sugar coating by mixing granulated sugar and ground cinnamon together. Toss the cooked churros in this mixture for added flavor.
What type of dipping sauce can I serve with churros?
Popular dipping sauces for churros include chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, and dulce de leche. You can also serve them with whipped cream or fruit preserves.
Can I freeze churros for later use?
Yes, you can freeze uncooked churros. Freeze them on a baking sheet, then transfer them to a freezer bag. When ready to enjoy, air fry them directly from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Churros
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray, or line it with wax paper.
- In a saucepan, add the water, butter, sugar, and salt. Bring to a slow simmer.
- Continue to simmer and then add flour to the saucepan.
- Stir constantly with a rubber spatula and cook until the dough comes together and is smooth.
- Remove the dough from the stove and place the dough into a mixing bowl. Let excellent for about 5 minutes.
- Mix the eggs and vanilla extract using an electric hand mixer or mix until the dough forms.
- Place the dough into a piping bag.
- Pipe churros onto the baking sheet into 4 to 5-inch lengths.
- Refrigerate the churros until cold and solid, about an hour.
- Place the cold churros into a greased air fryer basket. Being careful not to overcrowd the basket.
- Air fry at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar and ground cinnamon.
- When the churros are done air frying, coat them with the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Optional: Serve warm with Nutella or chocolate dipping sauce.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optoinal