There is nothing quite like a meat and potato meal. It is one of the most classic meals, you have in America.
Everyone loves potatoes! And good to know that there are hundreds of ways to cook them. Whether you want to use the Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker), air fryer or just make them in your oven, they all full of flavor. The key to a great dish is spices, you need to use lots of different spices in your potato dish until you find one that you really like on potatoes. I used to hate salt on my potatoes, but my son loves them, so one day, I let him season them. I realize that good old salt and pepper, applied in LARGE quantities, really seasoned the potatoes well, so after that, I used to add more than I usually did, and everyone complimented me on my potato dishes. So, experiment, find out what spice you like and adapt it to any potato recipe.
Another great reason for using potatoes as your side dish is that they are so budget friendly, these are usually on sale at the grocery store, at least twice a month, so take that time and grab yourself a package/bundle. You can literally turn one package of potatoes for about $3.00 for a 5-pound bag, into about 3 dishes. So, that’s a real budget saver.
Potatoes are used around the world for dishes, in Italy, they use potatoes to make gnocchi, in Africa, they make North African potato soup. They are able to be stored for a long time, which is why, before refrigeration, they used tons of them.
Here are some great hints for storing potatoes:
- Store potatoes in a cold, well-ventilated area.
- Never store potatoes in the refrigerator, any temperature lower than 50 degrees F, changes the texture of the potato and will affect the taste of the potato dish.
- If you do choose to store potatoes in the refrigerator, let them slowly come to room temperature, before you cook the potatoes.
- Paper bags work amazingly when you are storing potatoes
- Do not wash potatoes, before storing.
- If your potatoes have started to sprout, do not despair, just simply cut the sprout off, they are still safe to eat.
- If your potatoes have turned green, this is due to a chemical called Solaine, that means that the potato should be discarded, note: eating them in large quantities can cause you to get ill, so it’s best to throw away.
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
Instant Pot Smart Du060 (I also made this in my mini, to make sure it works)
Don’t Forget To Pin:
These are the easiest baked potatoes for any get-together, Memorial Day, BBQ or get together. Make as many as you need.
- 4 Yukon Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
Start by choosing your potatoes, I try to choose potatoes that are about the same size.
Then rinse the potatoes.
Dry them with a paper towel. You actually will get a lot of dirt off the potatoes, more than what you would think.
Dry the potatoes, well.
In a small bowl mix the olive oil, salt together.
Then dip the potato into the olive oil, salt mixture. Rub the olive oil/salt all over the potato.
Then wrap the potato in olive oil.
Continue to dip the potatoes into the olive oil/salt mixture and wrap all of your potatoes up.
Set your trivet into the Instant Pot bowl, and pour 2 cups of water, into the Instant Pot. This water is essential to print your Instant Pot to pressure.
Then place your potatoes on top of the trivet rack.
Add your lid, place the vent to the sealing position and use the manual high-pressure and set for 25 minutes.
When the time is up, do a quick release. Wait for all of the pressure to leave the Instant Pot and the lid EASILY comes off.
Remove the potatoes, place them in a large bowl, ready for serving.
Garnish with sour cream, cheese, chives, etc.