I love nothing but a great soup, and it is one of the reasons that I purchased my Instant Pot since I’m already a huge advocate and user of my Air Fryers, this is something that the air fryers, just can’t do. So, when the winter months come to Philadelphia, I am already ready with a batch of hot soup for the family. If you have been following me for a while, or watch my live videos, you probably already know that my youngest son goes to a hockey rink for school. This means, that he is surrounded by ice all day long, so when he lives the rink, he is REALLY ready for a batch of hot and homemade soup.
I try to get a new recipe every day for the month of January, which is one of my website’s goals, so if you are looking for soup recipes, for the Instant Pot, this is the place to go.
Here are some tips, on how to make the best Instant Pot Soups:
- Since most soups call for some sort of vegetables, usually onions, celery, and carrots. I always add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the Instant Pot and then press the saute feature. This does two things, it gets the vegetables ready for cooking, and it saves me a pan to wash since I don’t have to use another pan.
- Always, with a few exceptions brown your meat, with the saute function, before adding liquid. With a few exceptions, mostly with ground meat, any meat that you add to the Instant Pot dish, the flavor can be dramatically increased, by just searing the meat on all sides (about 3-4 minutes per side), by using the saute function.
- Some soups, mostly cream of anything, really could benefit from an immersion blender, I found this especially true when I was making homemade tomato soup. The blender, (pouring the soup from the Instant Pot to the blender) was not as easy as one would think, I picked up this one from Amazon, for $29.99.
- Another really great tip, especially if you are trying to make soups during the winter when the weather is always bad, keep lots and lots of chicken broth, beef broth and vegetable broth on hand, most of the soups for the INstnat POt, require liquid and stocking up on these can be a real savior. My mother would always keep on hand a bunch of starters, which in the long run were much cheaper than buying broths,
Soup Setting on the Instant Pot:
Meat/Stew setting on the Instant Pot, but if you were wondering how you use them. The default setting for the meat/stew button is 35 minutes, but with the + and – arrow, you can adjust the time for your recipe.
Soup/Broth I usually do not use these, but the default is that the Instant Pot will keep your soup from boiling. So it will be a slow simmer when you use this button.Print
Instant Pot, Homemade Tomato Soup
There is nothing like a hot cup of tomato soup on a cold, rainy fall day. Today I made a batch of tomato soup with an air fryer grilled cheese. They loved it and it was such an easy meal to make.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2—28 oz can of whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 3 cups of water or broth
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of mixed Italian seasonings
- In your Instant Pot bowl, place the diced onions, olive oil, and garlic.
- Press the saute button and saute the onions and garlic, until the onions are soft. Remember to use your spatula and constantly move the onions, so they do not get burnt.
- Then add the tomato sauce and tomato paste, broth, and seasonings.
- Mix well.
- Then add the lid on to your Instant Pot, and set it on manual for 10 minutes. Make sure that the vent is sealed.
- When the time is up, let it naturally release.
- Mix well, add additional seasonings if you wish.
- I waited for the soup to cool down and then poured some of it into the blender to blend to smooth, continue to do it in batches until the soup is done.