Instant Pot Sesame Chicken is amazing. This very popular and classical Chinese dish can be made in minutes with the Instant Pot.
The chicken is crispy, and the sauce is simply amazing. These are the same flavors that you would get from your local Chinese Food Restaurant.
In my house, we love Chinese food. With the help of the Instant Pot and Air Fryer, I have been able to replicate many of the dishes without sacrificing any flavor. Today’s dish is no different.
What Is Sesame Chicken?
Sesame chicken is one of the most common Chinese chicken dishes in America. The chicken is usually battered and deep-fried, but today, I made a version of it, where the chicken is sauteed rather than fried, and the chicken will taste about the same. And it’s much healthier.
The sauce is made from soy sauce, honey, ketchup, and sesame oil—all typical ingredients of Sesame Chicken. The honey thickens up the sauce and provides the right sweetness to the dish.
The last ingredients are cornstarch and water, referred to as a cornstarch slurry, thickening up the sauce.
How Do You Make Instant Pot Sesame Chicken?
Making Sesame Chicken in the Instant Pot is really easy. You start with diced chicken breasts, although you would switch them to boneless chicken thighs if you wanted a meatier dish.
Season your chicken before you place it into the Instant Pot, as the small amount of seasoning will go a long way to provide a tasty and seasoned dish.
Add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot bowl, and then saute. The saute will really give the meat a great texture. Along with the sauce, it is layered as you prepare your dish.
The sauce is thickened at the end, making the entire dish come together: The last ingredients are cornstarch and water, which is referred to as a cornstarch slurry and thickens up the sauce.
What To Serve With Instant Pot Sesame Chicken
These are so good, you could literally eat an entire plate, but if you want to make it part of a Chinese feast at your house. Here are some great side dishes:
Other Air Fryer Chinese Appetizers:
Instant Pot Chinese Rice Dishes:
Some Helpful Products Used In Making This Recipe-
DON’T FORGET TO PIN–
Instant Pot Chinese Sesame Chicken
Such an easy dish to prepare in your Instant Pot. Toady’s Chinese Dish- Instant Pot Chinese Sesame Chicken.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Main Coures
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 2 pounds of boneless chicken breasts (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup of onion, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1/3 cup of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of garlic chopped
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 4 teaspoons of cornstarch (if you are looking for a gluten-free recipe, use an alternative)
- Sesame seeds and/or green onions
- Cut up the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Using the saute setting, add the oil, onion, and chicken, saute until the onions softened.
- Then add the soy sauce, ketchup, and garlic. Mix well.
- Set the manual high pressure for 3 minutes. When it’s done, (it will beep) do a quick release (natural release cause the chicken to dry out)
- When the lid can open and remember to use mitts, add the sesame oil and honey to the Instant Pot. Then add the water and cornstarch (I mix mine in a cup and then pour into it, so it doesn’t get all gloopy).
- Simmer until the sauce thickens (about 3 minutes)
- Serving Suggestion: Serve over rice,
Keywords: Instant Pot Chinese Sesame Chicken