Note: Affiliate links may be included in this post
This has a great smokey flavor that is healthier than the original version since it uses chicken instead of fried meats.
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 1 chopped and peeled onion
- 1 chopped and cleaned green pepper
- 3 ounces of andouille sausage (peeled and chopped)
- 12 ounces of chopped chicken breasts
- 20 ounces of diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasonings (more if you like it hot)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 16 ounces of brown rice
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 lemon (cut)
- Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and green pepper and cook until they are tender (about 4 minutes)
- Add the chicken and cook until lightly brown (about 5 minutes)
- Meanwhile, strain the tomatoes, save about 1/4 cup of liquid.
- Add to the liquid, Cajun seasonings, salt and rice.
- Return to the skillet, cover and reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and garnish with the green onions.
- Pour into bowls.
- Garnish with hot sauce and lemon juice.
Total Calories: 403
Fat: 12.2 g