Air Fryer, Italian Style Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf (With Air Fryer, Caramelized Onions)
Everyone uses ground beef, at least once per week in their cooking, I thought it was a great time to talk about how to purchase ground beef, what to look for and some pointers.
- Ground beef is actually a combination of beef cuts. It usually is a combination of chuck, round and sirloin. Some labels, at the grocery store, may include the cut of meat that is ground.
- Always purchase ground meat that is bright red. You can tell older ground meat by the color, if it is brown or gray, do not purchase it, as it indicates that it is older.
- For huge savings purchase a family pack of ground beef and then freeze some of the meat for later.
- Look for a tightly wrapped package of meat, avoid a package with loose plastic wrap or a tear.
Here are some guides for purchasing ground beef due to leanness:
- Not less than 73% lean-This is normal just labeled ground beef. This meat is good for chilis, soups, sloppy joes and pizzas.
- Not less than 80% lean-This meat is used best in meat loves, meatballs and hamburgers
- Not less than 85% lean-This is best used in casseroles
The most important thing to remember when using ground meat is that it is very versatile.
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
Don’t Forget to Pin–
This was a really easy and delicious meal. I added caramelized onions on the top since everyone keeps on asking for me to make that. I have to tell you, they are fabulous together.
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey (I used a meatloaf mix)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
Start by adding the meat in a large mixing bowl, mix in the Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper. Work the spices into the meat.
Add the mozzarella cheese and mix it into the meat mixture.
Form the meat into meatloaf shaves and then place them onto a greased air fryer basket or into an air fryer oven tray.
Spread the tops with the sauce.
Set in the air fryer oven and set the timer for 10 minutes at 340 degrees F. After the time, check your meat with a meat thermometer and make sure it has an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
Cut up the onions, into slices.
Add them to a foil packet (roll out a piece of foil, and then place the sliced onions and the 4 tablespoons of butter and wrap it up.
Place the foil packet into the basket or the air fryer tray. And set the temperature for 400 degrees F, for 13 minutes. After 13 minutes, open the packet up, mix and see how they are doing, I added another 5 minutes. Note: If your packet opens up, you need to reseal it otherwise your onions will be BLACK
Then put your meat down, and spread the caramelized onions on top. Enjoy!