Soup is one of the best foods for you and your body. Whether it is winter and you are looking for a soup to help you warm up, or help you mend a cold. Soup is a healthy and easy meal to keep you and your family feed.
There are thousands and thousands of ways to make soup, there are so many different types of soups, that it would be impossible in your life to make them all. So, I have started to switch over my favorite classic soups to a soup that you can make in mere minutes in the Instant Pot (Pressure cooker, if you don’t have an Instant Pot model).
Gone are the days of spending hours and hours of having a soup simmer on the stove, the pressure cooker has completely changed the dynamic of how we cook. The Instant Pot, in my opinion, is perfect for soups, stews, and chilis.
Here are some ways to make the best soup, whether on the stove, using an Instant Pot, or slow cooker.
- Saute’ the vegetable first, on the Instant Pot control panel, there is a button called saute’ this is a great start for any great soups. If you spend a few minutes cooking your vegetables you will have a deeper flavor. Most recipes have onions, garlic, celery, and carrots, and if you spend a few minutes cooking these, they will enhance the flavor of the finished dish.
- Use spices, depending on what spices you and your family like, use those generously.
- Check the stock/broth for the salt content. As most soup recipes, have a chicken broth or stock that you will be adding, you may or may not want to add salt. So, check the ingredients on your stock/broth box, or can.
Nothing is so awesome on a cold winter night than a nice hot bowl of soup, stew or chili.
Here are some great ways to store soups, to keep them last longer, food safety is always an issue when you are storing food. One of the most common mistakes cooks make is to leave the soup overnight to cool down, unfortunately, at that point, the soup has been left out too long, and it may contain bacteria. The maximum time that soup should be left out is about two hours.
That does not mean that you should store it while it’s hot. Storing hot foods in the refrigerator or freezer raises the chance, that you will be increasing the temperature of either the refrigerator or freezer.
- Soup is the perfect make-ahead meal, as it lasts well in both the refrigerator and freezer. And You only need to take it out the night before, and you already have a super easy dinner the next night.
- Remember if you are freezing soup, leave about an inch headroom, in the freezer-safe plastic containers, as soup expands as it freezes.
As a mom, I love to provide my family with a warm nutritious meal, and I love that the Instant Pot, allows me to whip up a soup/stew or chili in a matter of minutes.
Below are my favorite Soup, Stew and Chili Recipes.
Olive Garden-Chicken and Gnocchi Soup (Copycat)
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
Don’t Forget To Pin
Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) Curried Pumpkin Soup
An amazing soup for those wintery fall days, just in time for Thanksgiving and Halloween.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tesapoons minced garlic
- 1 teasopon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tesapoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Start by adding the olive oil to the Instant Pot. Then press the saute button.
Once the oil is heated up (about 30 seconds), add the diced onions, saute until they are softened.
Then add the garlic, saute until the onions and garlic are softened and translucent.
Then mix in the ground ginger, curry powder, pumpkin, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
Add your lid, making sure it's locked into place and that the vent is turned to the sealed position. Then set the manual high pressure (or soup) for 15 minutes high pressure.
When the time is done, do a natural release. Open the lid and mix well.
Plate, serve and enjoy!