French Toast, one of America’s Favorite Breakfasts.
When finding out where the origin of French Toast comes from I was surprised by finding out that it also had different names, eggy bread, Bombay toast, German toast, gypsy toast, poor knights (or Winsor) and Torrija (Thanks to Wikipedia)
This is one of the most popular recipes in American when ordering at a restaurant, in France, they serve it for dessert, which is called “Lost Bread” or Pain Perdu.
The French are mainly credited with creating French Toast, but upon further research, it was really created in Belgium.
Back in medieval times the soldiers would take the old bread and soak it in egg and milk, to make it edible.
Before preservatives in America and around the world, the bread did not say long, it was a great way to use up day old bread.
This is also a great way to use your imagination, as everything goes with French Toast, berries, stuffed, etc..
Any type of bread works for french toast, you can use white bread, whole wheat, rye bread, French Bread, brioche, and croissants.
Here are some tips for getting perfect French Toast every time:
- The perfect thickness of the bread you will be using for your French Toast, the thickness should be between 1/2″ and 1″ thick.
- As mentioned above, you can use any type of bread, but the dried the bread the better, this is why day old bread really works, it soaks up the liquid perfectly.
- All french toast batter includes eggs and milk, whole milk works best, as it is thicker.
- Remember to season the batter, so grab your favorite spice and mix it in.
Tips for Air Frying French Toast in the Air Fryer:
- Make sure that the entire piece of bread has liquid on it, aka the batter.
- Spray the soaked bread with non-stick cooking spray. The more spray you put on the less it will stick.
- I use a pan, only because I can spray the pan, with non-stick cooking spray, this way, you put the soaked bread on top of a greased pan, it is easier to flip and it does not stick to the air fryer basket.
- Don’t forget to use tongs to flip the French Toast, halfway through.
- I hardly preheat the oven but, for French Toast, I preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
Don’t Forget To Pin—
- 6 cinnamon rolls
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Start by making your cinnamon rolls, take them out of the package and place them on a non-stick sprayed surface (I use olive oil)
Set the time for 7 minutes at 350 degrees F, Check frequently as to prevent burning, they brown easily.
Let them cool for about 5-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the eggs, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl.
Use a spatula to flatten the cinnamon rolls.
Then dredge them into the egg/milk/vanilla mixture and let soak for about 30 seconds.
Then place back into the air fryer and set the temperature for 340 degrees F, for 3 minutes, after 3 minutes flip and do another 3 minutes.
Plate, serve and enjoy! serve with the icing, butter, syrup or confectioner sugar.