I love to bake, I have been baking since I was a child, and was given an easy bake oven. Now, that I have an air fryer and Instant Pot, those are my new tools. They replaced my childhood dream toy. But, sometimes cooking with my air fryer, brings me back some fond memories since some of the food is miniature in size.
Baking is a science, some of us have it, some of us do not. As a small child, my mother would always bake cakes from mixes. As I got older and I was armed with a husband who loves cakes, I became more adventurous.
Here are some tips for making a cake in the Air Fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer, just make sure that you use gloves when you go and put your pan into the air fryer.
- Always spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray, just as if you are making a cake in the oven. ( I use whatever I have on hand, either Pam or Baker’s Joy) Trader Joe’s makes a great non-stick cooking spray too.
- I cook my cake for the air fryer, low and slow, this makes them brown better and I find that it does take longer but, also makes for a moist cake.
- Set the butter and eggs at room temperature.
- Use the correct tools to measure dry ingredients, never use a measuring cup, always use these tools
- For a lighter batter, always cream the butter and sugar together.
- Allow the cake to cool, just about 10 minutes and you should be able to easily get the cake out of the pan.
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
- 1 18 1/4 ounces vanilla cake mix
- 1 4 ounces instant vanilla pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup milk
- 20-25 Oreo Cookies
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
Start by getting your cake mix.
Add your cake mix to a large mixing bowl.
Grab your instant vanilla pudding and pie mix, and add it to the cake mix, already in the mixing bowl.
Add your vegetable oil, egg whites, and milk
Crush the Oreo cookies, by placing them in a bag and pounding them with your hand or kitchen tool.
Fold the Oreo Cookies into the prepared batter.
Pour the batter into a prepared bundt pan, that fits inside your Air Fryer Basket.
Set the timer for 15 minutes at 320 degrees F.
After the 15 minutes check the status of your cake, by using a toothpick and inserting it in the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean remove the cake. If it doesn't add 5 minutes to your time, and repeat until the cake is baked through.
Remove the cake from the Air Fryer Oven, and let the cake rest.
In a small bowl pour the chocolate chips and shortening in it. Then place it in the microwave for 30 seconds, remove it from the microwave and mix well. Repeat for another 30 seconds if the chocolate is not melted.
Pour the chocolate over the cake.